Computers & Hardware > Networking

Annex type

(1/1)

111888:
hi im with sky fttc, and I use a third party router tp link.

My question is why does tp link use Annex A on auto discovery? , I tried checking for Annex B but it doesn't appear on the list to choose. Having to use Annex A can it cause issues? As I live in the UK.

I thought BT and Sky use Annex B type, as A is north America, and B is used in UK.

Weaver:
Annex B isn’t used here, I think it is in Germany though. Annex B is DSL over ISDN. Annex A is what we use in britain.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Weaver on September 23, 2021, 03:42:10 PM ---Annex B isn’t used here, I think it is in Germany though. Annex B is DSL over ISDN. Annex A is what we use in britain.

--- End quote ---

The confusion is there are two types of annex, the hardware and the band plan.  As someone put it on the TalkTalk forum:

--- Quote ---Openreach uses an Annex B bandplan (tone set) from the VDSL2 spec (G.993.2) over Annex A physical infrastructure. So for the UK, the modem hardware/firmware needs to be Annex A, but it will sync using Annex B.
--- End quote ---

Because apparently networking terminology wasn't complicated enough.

You can easily identify the hardware version though as ISDN uses the same size plug as ethernet ports vs POTS (Annex A hardware) that uses the smaller RJ11 with only two pins.

111888:
thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version