Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP  (Read 4682 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »

I've changed my plans slightly for my install next week. It does raise a question though. Since my install will be from a pole I am wondering exactly where the external box might go.

The entry point for the cable into the house is just above floor level on the first floor so it enters the bedroom where the internal box will be. Does this box have to be at ground level?

Placing it on the front wall below where the cable from the pole is fixed on the house is a no-no, it will be too easily damaged as the path across the front of the house is too narrow, it's only just wide enough when our shopping order comes on a sack barrow that even a couple of centimetres sticking out will almost certainly get damaged plus running the wire down the front round the ground floor windows and back up to the entry point for the bedroom will look ugly.

Ideally I would want it placed round the side of the house behind the side gate where it will be not visible and protected by a small buttress which supports the gate and cannot easily be damaged, this however means a longer cable run down to the box and back up to where it enters the house.

Is this feasible or am I expecting too much?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 11:19:13 AM »

For my FTTP install via OH;
Telegraph pole is on other side of street, fibre optic cable was fed along existing copper line to hook support at first floor, cable was then routed straight down to a grey Openreach panel, and then cable was routed under bay window and neatly drilled above the Virgin Media Socket point.

So my external FTTP install cabling is in a L/J-shape, the cabling to the grey panel needs to be straight, but the other stuff is quite flexible for install.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »

So my external FTTP install cabling is in a L/J-shape, the cabling to the grey panel needs to be straight, but the other stuff is quite flexible for install.

That's my issue it cannot be straight, its not possible as there is a wide window to the porch directly below the side of the house where the current copper is attached so there is no way the new cable can come down straight plus the wall below the window is single skin so drilling through to mount the box is likely to go through to the inside.

Stuart

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »

The grey panel is the Customer Splice Point - this is where the cable from the OH feed is spliced to the cable that eventually enters your house.

The Engineer can run cable from the CSP to a convenient entry point. There is a limit to the amount they will/can provide.

The cable is then attached to the ONT- the modem, which then connects by ethernet to your router.

So - I would work backwards. Decide where you would like your router to be. This will then dictate feasible positions for the ONT, which will dictate where the cable entry point is which will dictate where the CSP might be which will dictate how the OH cable is routed.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »

The grey panel is the Customer Splice Point - this is where the cable from the OH feed is spliced to the cable that eventually enters your house.

The Engineer can run cable from the CSP to a convenient entry point. There is a limit to the amount they will/can provide.

The cable is then attached to the ONT- the modem, which then connects by ethernet to your router.

So - I would work backwards. Decide where you would like your router to be. This will then dictate feasible positions for the ONT, which will dictate where the cable entry point is which will dictate where the CSP might be which will dictate how the OH cable is routed.

That's what Ive done and to start there is no alternative to where the ONT goes. The ONT has to go where I've planned because that is the only place close enough to 2 mains power points upstairs, its the problem living in a 100 year old house!.

That's the problem because although it is very close to the current copper cable mounting point the issue is the large porch window below it which precludes a straight run down to the CSP, there is no way the CSP can be mounted below this current attachment in a straight line. Together with the fact that the current path in front of the porch is not wide enough to allow space for the CSP anyway - it WILL GET DAMAGED.

Stuart

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »

So if the CSP is placed near where the current copper is mounted, the ongoing cable is flexible enough to be routed down around the porch window and enter the house after that. That would still leave the narrow space issue possibly.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2021, 04:23:26 PM »

No the ONT inside is upstairs. I was told the CSP has to be at ground level.

Stuart

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »

No the ONT inside is upstairs. I was told the CSP has to be at ground level.

Stuart

Oh okay - not sure why that should be the case but if thems the rules then them is the rules.
Certainly worth asking the attending engineer,
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:51:07 PM by stevebrass »

stevebrass

• Reg Member

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2021, 06:56:31 PM »

Oh okay - not sure why that should be the case ...

I assume because they don't want to be trying to splice fibre whilst on a ladder.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »

As far as I am aware, there have been three methods of optical fibre installation into the end-users premises.
  • With an external customer splice point and requiring a fusion splice to join the external and internal fibre cables.
  • With an internal customer splice point and requiring a fusion splice to join the external and internal fibre cables.
  • Without a customer splice point and requiring the field-fitting of an SC/APC connector.
If I am remembering correctly, j0hn's FTTP installation was of the third kind.

Either the second or third type of installation would be suitable for Stuart's situation.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2021, 07:05:36 PM »

I have been getting texts from BT but none suggest a rwo stage install.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »

I have been getting texts from BT but none suggest a rwo stage install.

Those text messages will be from a department of BT Consumer and not Openreach. Who does the actual, physical, installation? (Rhetorical question.)

So my real question is: "Which entity do you think I would be more inclined to believe?" . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »

Oh mine is definitely the  1st option of install.
The OR engineer has been up a telegraph pole,  splicing fibre up a ladder is child's play in comparison  :lol:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »

I can  only go by what I'm told.

Stuart
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything