Broadband Related > FTTP Rollout

I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP

(1/10) > >>

broadstairs:
I know I will have to move to another ISP as I will require the house phone to continue. The current conundrum is how to connect the phone. My master socket is in an eaves cupboard in the upstairs bedroom and I hope to have this replaced with the ONT in the same place, my phone is downstairs in the kitchen and I have a normal phone extension cable running from the master socket to the kitchen, now my question is can I put a normal phone plug on the end of this cable and plug it into the VOIP socket which I presume will be on the router supplied by the ISP.

That's it for now, sure to be further questions later ;)

Stuart

burakkucat:
The one word answer is "yes".

What I would suggest you consider doing is to disconnect that extension cable from the SSFP and fit a secondary LJU at the end of the cable. Then a short cable, with "BT plugs" at both ends, can link the telephony port of the SSFP to the newly installed LJU thus maintaining the status quo.

When the move to FTTP occurs, just disconnect the plug from the SSFP and insert it into the relevant socket on the ISP/CP provided CPE.

However, although you plan in having the ONT installed in the same location as the NTE5 + SSFP, that may not be the ideal location for the ISP/CP provided router. Hence my above suggestion may not be viable . . .

benji09:

I  am not in your FTTP  situation yet. But I  do use V.O.I.P.  adapters here plugged into my existing  router.  I decided to check what would happen if, and when, I required to lose my existing copper BT/Sky phone, by plugging in my wired phone system into one of my existing V.O.I.P. ATA's. All my wired phones worked, including an EXTENSION BELL! perfectly O.K. BUT I did need, in my case, to plug in a broadband filter to provide a bell wire to get some of the older telephones and telephone bell to work. For my test I used an old spare Grandstream 486 ATA, set up as a duplicate Sipgate line for my tests........

broadstairs:
Just to clarify my existing router is in the same room as the eaves cupboard within about 8 to 10 feet in fact and I intend to keep the new one in the same location.

Stuart

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on September 20, 2021, 10:06:09 PM ---Just to clarify my existing router is in the same room as the eaves cupboard within about 8 to 10 feet in fact and I intend to keep the new one in the same location.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the clarification . . . I can now "see" the current configuration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version