Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP  (Read 4679 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP
« on: September 20, 2021, 05:41:03 PM »

I know I will have to move to another ISP as I will require the house phone to continue. The current conundrum is how to connect the phone. My master socket is in an eaves cupboard in the upstairs bedroom and I hope to have this replaced with the ONT in the same place, my phone is downstairs in the kitchen and I have a normal phone extension cable running from the master socket to the kitchen, now my question is can I put a normal phone plug on the end of this cable and plug it into the VOIP socket which I presume will be on the router supplied by the ISP.

That's it for now, sure to be further questions later ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: I need some advice on my potential move to FTTP
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »

The one word answer is "yes".

What I would suggest you consider doing is to disconnect that extension cable from the SSFP and fit a secondary LJU at the end of the cable. Then a short cable, with "BT plugs" at both ends, can link the telephony port of the SSFP to the newly installed LJU thus maintaining the status quo.

When the move to FTTP occurs, just disconnect the plug from the SSFP and insert it into the relevant socket on the ISP/CP provided CPE.

However, although you plan in having the ONT installed in the same location as the NTE5 + SSFP, that may not be the ideal location for the ISP/CP provided router. Hence my above suggestion may not be viable . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 09:38:13 PM »

I  am not in your FTTP  situation yet. But I  do use V.O.I.P.  adapters here plugged into my existing  router.  I decided to check what would happen if, and when, I required to lose my existing copper BT/Sky phone, by plugging in my wired phone system into one of my existing V.O.I.P. ATA's. All my wired phones worked, including an EXTENSION BELL! perfectly O.K. BUT I did need, in my case, to plug in a broadband filter to provide a bell wire to get some of the older telephones and telephone bell to work. For my test I used an old spare Grandstream 486 ATA, set up as a duplicate Sipgate line for my tests........

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:06:09 PM »

Just to clarify my existing router is in the same room as the eaves cupboard within about 8 to 10 feet in fact and I intend to keep the new one in the same location.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 10:32:32 PM »

Just to clarify my existing router is in the same room as the eaves cupboard within about 8 to 10 feet in fact and I intend to keep the new one in the same location.

Thank you for the clarification . . . I can now "see" the current configuration.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »

My plan is to stay with Zen, then port my number to the AAISP VoIP service.  I feel at less risk of losing the number by using a paid service, plus my mum uses the landline when she isn't sure if she has enough credit on her mobile, so having a top-up VoIP service would mean I'd have to remember to keep it topped up which is a PITA.

The rest is easy as I already migrated to a Gigaset N300 IP as we use entirely DECT phones so it will be a slight configuration change and no difference to my mum.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 09:55:51 PM »

I know I will have to move to another ISP

Why, who are you with ?.
We have our phone with BT (also still have ADSL2 on that line as well ) But at the moment pay through 'Eclipse' who we are to get rid of soon,
We have our FTTP with the Business side of TrunkNetworks, Full Fibre 100 (they have also normal residential and gaming connections.)
https://www.trunknetworks.com/business-broadband

Because I do not want there 'Free'  Fritz 7530 Wireless Router, they have credited the Installation £50 back :)

Also as we are classed as 'vulnerable' at our time of life and have no mobile signal and get power cuts often trunk-networks have supplied me with a 'APC BX500CI' back up power supply Free ;D  worth about £96, ready for when we have VOIP.

They have been great and I can recommend them. :thumbs:

as I will require the house phone to continue.
we will.

The current conundrum is how to connect the phone. My master socket is in an eaves cupboard in the upstairs bedroom and I hope to have this replaced with the ONT in the same place, my phone is downstairs in the kitchen and I have a normal phone extension cable running from the master socket to the kitchen, now my question is can I put a normal phone plug on the end of this cable and plug it into the VOIP socket which
Yes but

I presume will be on the router supplied by the ISP.

As far as I know there is No VOIP socket on new routers any more, as others have said you need a ATA box (Analog Telephone Adapter).
I was going to get one of these ,
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/ata-190-series-analog-telephone-adapters/datasheet-c78-739907.html

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:58:52 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »

As far as I know there is No VOIP socket on new routers any more, as others have said you need a ATA box (Analog Telephone Adapter).
The BT Smart hub 2 supplied when transferring to Digital Voice (BT's proprietary version of VOIP) has an analogue phone socket which can be used instead of the supplied DECT handsets if required.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 10:32:12 PM »

As far as I know there is No VOIP socket on new routers any more, . . .

I suspect you are confusing the Openreach provided ONTs with the service providers' routers. It is the ONTs that no longer have telephony ports.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 11:55:08 AM »

As far as I know there is No VOIP socket on new routers any more

The fritz.box 7530 has one. It can also act as a DECT base station.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »

The fritz.box 7530 has one. It can also act as a DECT base station.

Do we know what NAT speed the 7530 can do?  I was curious if Zen were still providing it for FTTP or would upgrade to a higher model?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 08:46:54 PM »

BTW, AA offer support for the Gigaset N300 IP should you need it. I have one.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »

Do we know what NAT speed the 7530 can do?  I was curious if Zen were still providing it for FTTP or would upgrade to a higher model?

Not sure if this helps answer the question.

In some cases these operating modes require special protocol stacks and packet encapsulation as well as additional security mechanisms (NAT, PPP, PPPoE, VLAN, "Stateful Packet Inspection" firewall, port forwarding, traffic shaping, etc.), which reduces the highest possible transmission rate for the "LAN 1" port to an expected rate of about 900 Mbit/s to 940 Mbit/s.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »

Its a tad ambiguous but there appears to be reddit posts concurring that yes it does, with the usual consumer router issue of bufferbloat if you max out the line, which fortunately is less likely to happen on Gigabit.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »

I've just been told Plusnet dont do FTTP  :o is that true.

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything