Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Controlling interleave depth  (Read 3219 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Controlling interleave depth
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 04:14:20 AM »

Is Interleaving sufficient to correct this type of burst errors?  Quite often retx and interleaving doesnt work too well with single bursts of SHINE.  If it lasts for a few seconds then even RS may not help either.   I have single daily bursts of SHINE that lasts for about a second which no amount of Interleaving, FEC or Re-tx can correct.   

The annoying thing is that DLM see's it, tries to correct it and keeps doing so increasing the amount of Re-Tx, Interleaving, FEC and even starts banding.    Yet aside from that single burst lasting <1sec the line is perfectly fine for the rest of the day.   I've now been banded several times, I've got high retx and high Interleave and practically every single day I still get breakthrough noise.   

Nothing the DLM does seems to stop it, yet DLM has quite severely limited my line.   TBH I wish it would leave it alone as for 99.99% of the day it works fine and I dont even notice the noise burst because its over and done with so fast.   This morning it caused >10k FEC and usually causes just 1 ErrSec.   

It's my opinion that sometimes you just may as well accept that for a few seconds per day the line is going to error.  I wish I could turn DLM off,  as all its doing is restricting what the line is fully capable of doing for the rest of the day.   

Thats basically DLM's achilles heel, the worst care scenario for it, occasional very short bursts of noise, that are just about frequent enough to keep it triggered.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 09:06:20 AM »

It all depends entirely what you’re doing. If all you ever do is use TCP, then who cares about noise bursts? On the other hand if you use non -retransmitting L4 protocols then you might care a lot, eg VoIP, IPTV and so forth.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 05:54:10 AM »

Thats true weaver, its a tough one, IPTV probably ok if the burst isnt powerful enough to trigger any SES, but I do remember when that fault I had happened a couple of months back, and my discord calls were a little shaky.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 06:54:04 PM »

Since I’ve worked a lot on dramatically cutting the rate of CRCs and ES’s, the problem I had with audio garbling in Zoom has almost entirely (touch wood) been fixed.
Pages: 1 [2]