Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Web Site Hyperlinks Within Posts  (Read 8418 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Web Site Hyperlinks Within Posts
« on: September 17, 2021, 12:04:29 PM »

When incorporating a web site hyperlink in a post have noted that most sites (certainly u-tube sites) actually graphically appear in the post as well as the hyperlink, has this always been the case?
Have tried posting the raw URL or a text edited hyperlink with the same results.
Where more than one web link is used within a single post only the first reference appears to graphically display.

Is this to expectation?
Is there a way to disable the graphic display while retaining the hyperlink?
Does it matter?   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Web Site Hyperlinks Within Posts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 12:58:09 PM »

Links to embedded media sources are handled by forum addons. The addon which we were using for YouTube is still available, and it works well, but unfortunately addons for other types of source conflict with it, so we had to find a different solution. The solution is a single addon which handles many types of media source and embeds them automatically.

I don't know if there's a way to disable the embedding in a post, but one of us will come back to you on that.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »

If I add the link to a YouTube video the result is --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUxy1K-WwA

But if I surround that link with [nobbc][/nobbc] tags the result is --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUxy1K-WwA

Is that any help?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »

The solution is a single addon which handles many types of media source and embeds them automatically.

Which add-on are you using?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 06:07:24 PM »

Simple Audio Video Embedder.  We've been using it for a while now.

I used Ohara YouTube Embed for & Embed Facebook BBCode years, along with another for twitter but quite a long time ago but they started causing conflicts and/or just stopped working and were no longer supported.     I tested several which I was unhappy with.   Simple Audio Video Embedder was the best all round solution and bonus that it handles most embeds rather than having to install separate mods for different media.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »

When incorporating a web site hyperlink in a post have noted that most sites (certainly u-tube sites) actually graphically appear in the post as well as the hyperlink, has this always been the case?

Should just be the social media type sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter.   
The old plugins started to break and conflict about 3-4 years ago.  In the end I gave up chasing mod authors and instead installed the current mod which in addition also supposedly handles reddit, iinstagram and google maps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »

This might work:

MQTT with RPi & Arduino
MQTT Tutorial

Edit: It does, but a bit of a pain to do!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:24:29 PM »

Thanks to all for the input and explanations, every day's a school day!

@b*cat:
Yes, your solution certainly works but it's not a hyperlink any more so perhaps defeats the original objective.

@jelv:
Your suggestion is the biz, perhaps you could elaborate how it's achieved when time permits if not too complicated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 12:03:53 AM »

@b*cat:
Yes, your solution certainly works but it's not a hyperlink any more so perhaps defeats the original objective.

Agreed but that was the best I could offer . . . Highlight the text of the link and right-click to open in a new tab (or whatever).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »

Agreed but that was the best I could offer . . . Highlight the text of the link and right-click to open in a new tab (or whatever).

Bit more tricky for mobile users, which I would presume are the ones that want to save the screen space by not having it embedded as its not a big deal on desktop IMO.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 08:57:31 PM »

Aside from when the mods broke a few years back, the embed has always been there for at least YouTube and Vimeo.  The Social Media embeds for Facebook and twitter are more recent, I've forgotten when but at a rough guess about 7-10 years.    Its not set to autoplay and the size is constrained, so as far as screen space is concerned it probably takes up less space than the average image.   People tend not to notice it because its not abused or overused.

I must admit I personally preferred the old Ohara YouTube mod which relied on the user to insert the BBC tags,  I did actually have a slight moment of sadness to ditch it as I've used it practically since the author brought the mod out and have several convo's with him over the years when it comes to bug fixes, but unfortunately changes in the core code caused conflicts if you tried to use more than one media type....  and none of the other mod authors offered to try and get it to work in tandem with multiple media types   

OTOH lots of users didn't know what format to use or how to insert and there were plenty of times when the code had to be fixed by our admin team.   I fully comprehend why the author of the current modification has set it to auto detect the media type and apply the relevant code - 1) Dramatically cuts down the chance of user error.  2) Because it can deal with about 30 different plug-ins (I dont have all options turned on), it would require a long line of BBC buttons above the post reply box.

As mentioned earlier, I did test several different plug-in mods, but this was the most elegant and best suited to our forum.
-----

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 10:50:23 PM »

@kitz:

Many thanks for the very detailed, understandable description, much appreciated.
I'am sure "jelv" will supply details of his earlier demonstrated "graphic disable" while retaining hyperlink procedure in time.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 10:59:51 PM »

I'am sure "jelv" will supply details of his earlier demonstrated "graphic disable" while retaining hyperlink procedure in time.

Here follows a verbatim copy of what jelv typed as Reply #6 --

This might work:

[url=https://tinyurl.com/tuc6cdar]MQTT with RPi & Arduino[/url]
[url=https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/articles/mqtt-tutorial]MQTT Tutorial[/url]

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 01:44:46 AM »

Here follows a verbatim copy of what jelv typed as Reply #6 --

This might work:

[url=https://tinyurl.com/tuc6cdar]MQTT with RPi & Arduino[/url]
[url=https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/articles/mqtt-tutorial]MQTT Tutorial[/url]

I tend to do it like that anyway a lof of the time, but again on desktop.  I don't use my phone for forums at all as I consider it much too frustrating an experience.  Even replying to Facebook and YouTube comments is a PITA that I usually give up and think "I'll do it later on a keyboard that doesnt suck".

I really miss having a phone with a physical slide out keyboard, touch screens are such a pain for typing for me.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:32 AM »

@b*cat:

Thanks for the breakdown of the hyperlinks as listed by "jelv" in answer #6, to be honest, I've no idea how you got there, all I see are two hyperlinks which I can't detail to reveal the narrative you have displayed.
If I copy and paste your post text narrative to this post for reference they just appear as links again in the preview window.

Confusion on my part obviously originates from my lack of detailed knowledge of html and the logistical workings of the forum!
Pages: [1] 2