(1/3) > >>

numbermonkey:
Its subbed but funny

https://youtu.be/3-gCRX23slw

roseway:
:)

kitz:
haha.

Shows what strange times we are living in and the changes covid has made for certain sectors and staff working from home. 

I know someone who just before lockdown applied for a job with an ISP.   He was told in March 2020 that he was successful after one visit to the company buildings.   All his training was remote and his new job from April 2020 meant that he worked each day from home.  He's never really met his team or workmates as those types of meetings were switched to video conferencing.  He's now been there nearly 2 years and has only been in the office a handful of times.   This is quite a large ISP and not really the environment we traditionally think of for teams of ISP helpdesk and support staff.

Weaver:
I think and indeed hope that the changes will be permanent, as long as staff are agreeable, but guess what, in some cases changes will be forced on people. I have been studying with citylit.ac.uk via Zoom for a year now, something which had not been possible after leaving London in 1998. If CityLit goes back to in-class teaching then I will be stuffed, but then so too will also be all their new, and never-before feasible students from outside London.

I’m thinking about the staggering amount of money that employers will save on buildings at (for example) Central London prices. Staff will save a fortune on commuting and be able to live absolutely anywhere they wish, including in much, much cheaper places so that they will be able to afford to buy property instead of renting. This is a social step-change.

Do you agree?

tubaman:
@Weaver, I agree to a certain extent. Having been pretty much forced to work from home since the first lockdown my work is getting done, but I do really miss the office banter and the camaraderie that you get from physically being with other people. I also feel that my awareness of what is going on at work has suffered as now I only get told the official line on things and miss out on all of the coffee break conversations.
I enjoy not having to drive to the office each day, which allows me to start and finish earlier than I otherwise would, but on balance I'd be happier if things returned to how they were.
I have to say though that others I know love the new regime and wouldn't want to go back so I think we're going to end up settling for a hybrid solution of some home and some office work.
Also remember that a not insubstantial part of the economy relies on people commuting for it to work.
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version