Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Adults returning to the office  (Read 5047 times)

numbermonkey

• Just arrived
Adults returning to the office
« on: September 16, 2021, 04:18:44 PM »

Its subbed but funny
https://youtu.be/3-gCRX23slw

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Adults returning to the office
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 04:41:52 PM »

:)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 02:24:22 AM »

haha.

Shows what strange times we are living in and the changes covid has made for certain sectors and staff working from home. 

I know someone who just before lockdown applied for a job with an ISP.   He was told in March 2020 that he was successful after one visit to the company buildings.   All his training was remote and his new job from April 2020 meant that he worked each day from home.  He's never really met his team or workmates as those types of meetings were switched to video conferencing.  He's now been there nearly 2 years and has only been in the office a handful of times.   This is quite a large ISP and not really the environment we traditionally think of for teams of ISP helpdesk and support staff.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:48:00 AM »

I think and indeed hope that the changes will be permanent, as long as staff are agreeable, but guess what, in some cases changes will be forced on people. I have been studying with citylit.ac.uk via Zoom for a year now, something which had not been possible after leaving London in 1998. If CityLit goes back to in-class teaching then I will be stuffed, but then so too will also be all their new, and never-before feasible students from outside London.

I’m thinking about the staggering amount of money that employers will save on buildings at (for example) Central London prices. Staff will save a fortune on commuting and be able to live absolutely anywhere they wish, including in much, much cheaper places so that they will be able to afford to buy property instead of renting. This is a social step-change.

Do you agree?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »

@Weaver, I agree to a certain extent. Having been pretty much forced to work from home since the first lockdown my work is getting done, but I do really miss the office banter and the camaraderie that you get from physically being with other people. I also feel that my awareness of what is going on at work has suffered as now I only get told the official line on things and miss out on all of the coffee break conversations.
I enjoy not having to drive to the office each day, which allows me to start and finish earlier than I otherwise would, but on balance I'd be happier if things returned to how they were.
I have to say though that others I know love the new regime and wouldn't want to go back so I think we're going to end up settling for a hybrid solution of some home and some office work.
Also remember that a not insubstantial part of the economy relies on people commuting for it to work.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:19:28 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »

I think and indeed hope that the changes will be permanent, as long as staff are agreeable, but guess what, in some cases changes will be forced on people. I have been studying with citylit.ac.uk via Zoom for a year now, something which had not been possible after leaving London in 1998. If CityLit goes back to in-class teaching then I will be stuffed, but then so too will also be all their new, and never-before feasible students from outside London.

I’m thinking about the staggering amount of money that employers will save on buildings at (for example) Central London prices. Staff will save a fortune on commuting and be able to live absolutely anywhere they wish, including in much, much cheaper places so that they will be able to afford to buy property instead of renting. This is a social step-change.

Do you agree?

Sorry to hijack the discussion, but there are two sides to the story. I work in the education sector and while it suits me very well to deliver classes online, a lot of students are finding it difficult to learn that way (mental health etc).

As for employers, with staff working from home they have a lot of buildings that sit empty or near empty. Which is costing them money.

With property prices: the Borders has seen an increase in property prices because everyone now wants to be in the country because they're working from home. This has a negative effect on the locals as they can't afford properties in Edinburgh or nearby. And some are crazy by offering huge offers for something just because it's in the country. I heard a story that one couple offered 50% above the asking price and they were third. And of course solicitors encourage this kind of behaviour because it means more money for them, though we all know this is irresponsible.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »

It has it's downsides.   One of the biggest obstacles is that an awful lot of people do not have space in their home for a dedicated work environment.  Using a laptop in the lounge on a coffee table is hardly the best place to work long term.   It must also be hard to switch off if your work and leisure is in the same room.  This problem doubles if both partners are working from home.  You also have young adults who will be working from their bedrooms.   It must also be quite hard for those who have young children around.   I've had several phone calls with various traditional office staff over the past few years and have heard kids in the background.  On one call (insurance) I even said, do you put me on hold and go see if everythings is ok when I could hear what sounded like a young child screaming.

One thing I quite missed when DLC learning was interaction with collegues.   Just a daily coffee break and actual interaction with other people breaks up the day and its nice to be able to discuss what ever is happening with peers.  Team work is more difficult when you've never met and interacted with the others in r/l.   For someone who lives alone and working long hours it can lead to isolation.   

I suppose it depends upon the individual and their circumstances, but I can imagine home working is oot suitable for all.  Various studies have been don on the effects of home working and whilst there are some positive aspects there are also just as many more negatives that I havent touched on.

A possible solution could perhaps be splitting the amount of days between home and work location.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

Sorry to hijack the discussion,

This is the Chat section where just like in r/l chat groups, the topic of conversation can meander off track from time to time .     
The original post was about the effect of working from home and then going back to the office...  and although that is the funny side, it seems natural that the conversation could progress by provoking peoples own thoughts, feelings and personal experiences regarding home working.  :)

I don't mind at all if topics do veer slightly off course in the chat section...  as long as they do have some sort of link to conversation flow and aren't stupidly off topic, or breach any of the forum rules on etiquette, then feel free to post away :)

Although this did start off as a Joke, if the convo continues, I may move it to the Chit Chat board. 
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 09:28:23 PM »

> lot of students are finding it difficult to learn that way (

Me included. I struggle with the unfriendly apps required for my classes, because of my own poor concentration and I really struggle with poor sound quality from any one of Zoom / poor or variable effective latency or limited bandwidth [?] / nasty audio h/w at one or the other end. I am not getting the high frequencies > ~4kHz, and that makes it difficult to distinguish words in unfamiliar languages.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:09:42 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 09:38:15 PM »

I think that the point made about prices in the Borders (the countryside) is a very interesting one; won’t there all be an increased drive for decent comms in rural locations ? Some of my neighbours work from home and have terrifying internet. One works at a university down in England and has had ADSL outages of several days’ duration.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 01:01:17 AM »

I think that the point made about prices in the Borders (the countryside) is a very interesting one; won’t there all be an increased drive for decent comms in rural locations ? Some of my neighbours work from home and have terrifying internet. One works at a university down in England and has had ADSL outages of several days’ duration.

This pandemic has highlighted how inadequate, underfunded, poorly maintained and executed Openreach's network is in some areas. Mine including. It's a national scandal that no newspaper is talking about.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:07:26 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 01:04:12 AM »

> lot of students are finding it difficult to learn that way (

Me included. I struggle with the unfriendly apps required for my classes, because of my own poor concentration and I really struggle with poor sound quality from any one of Zoom / poor or variable effective latency or limited bandwidth [?] / nasty audio h/w at one or the other end. I am not getting the high frequencies > ~4kHz that makes it difficult to distinguish words in unfamiliar languages.

Really sorry to hear that.

See my comment in the previous post.