Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Seamless Rate Adaption  (Read 1744 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Seamless Rate Adaption
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:41:52 AM »

I have always been a big fan of SRA, but later on the thought came to me that the routers at both ends of my bonded pipe need to know the individual link speeds of the component lines so the traffic load allocation can be split correctly. Until recently the split in the upstream direction was statically configured, in the Firebrick FB2900 at my end and I had to alter the Firebrick’s XML config from time to time, but this was not automatic and so was always out of date. In the downwards direction, AA’s routers get the per-line sync speeds from BT somehow and every time a link comes up they apply the correct speed split. Nowadays AA provides me with per-line upstream and downstream speeds for me to use in my FB2900 to give me the ability to set the upstream split correctly every time a link goes up, but neither end could cope with SRA properly because there is no mechanism to communicate the rate-changes to the routers at either end dynamically while a link is up. If that difficulty could be sorted out, then SRA would be great.

I don’t know how apps like Zoom would handle SRA. Does anyone know anything about how Zoom’s protocols work?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:23:30 AM by Weaver »

anything