Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Split Off From: ADSL2+ Upgraded to VDSL2  (Read 906 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Split Off From: ADSL2+ Upgraded to VDSL2
« on: September 16, 2021, 01:25:56 AM »

[Off topic discussion extracted from the named thread]

So the change in backhaul was done in the early hours and surprisingly it didn’t change the sync speed. !!!!!!

Zen are very surprised however and now want to arrange another OR visit number 11. I think it’s an waste of everyone’s time and are going to decline, however I might write to Clive Sellys office again.

Don't waste your time writing to Selly's office. Openreach are untouchable and the sooner there's more competition to get that company in order the better. In fact, I'd hope that they go bankrupt. And I have no sympathy for Openreach engineers either, as I think they're as bad as their company.

We've had 10 visits by openreach since Jan and we're not forward at all with our intermittent fault. Openreach tell lies in their notes every time they visit and they know there is a high resistant fault on the network nearby, yet they'll do nothing to fix it. They just blame our router, change master sockets and that's all they're effectively capable of, certainly in my local exchange. And actually, that's what they do in my local area - change customers' master sockets rather than fix faults.

Out of the 10 engineers that visited, only two were decent enough to talk about high resistant fault and a lack of new pairs. Those two were from the Borders.

in our case, Selly's office just passed the case onto the ISP (Plusnet) and nothing has been done. There's effectively no control over Openreach and they get away with everything. You can't contact them. The only way to get them to do anything is through your ISP, but then openreach have the power to simply reject the case.

It doesn't look like they'll disappear from the market anytime soon, but I sincerely hope they will one day, by being pushed out by the completion, with their poorly maintained and outdated network.

As soon as virgin come to my area (in the plans!), I'll be organising for Openreach to remove their cable from my building. Don't want their crap near my property at all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 03:46:53 PM by roseway »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Split Off From: ADSL2+ Upgraded to VDSL2
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 02:13:52 AM »

Kinda hard to "push out" Openreach when those new providers may be leasing ducts, exchange space and backhaul from Openreach, and that includes Virgin AFAIK.

Its also unfair to tar all engineers with the same brush.  I can understand your frustration, but when its a intermittent fault it can be a real PITA to identify exactly where it is.  Sometimes getting your MP to put pressure on them can help, but I've also found Sellys office very good personally.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 08:32:19 AM »

Kinda hard to "push out" Openreach when those new providers may be leasing ducts, exchange space and backhaul from Openreach, and that includes Virgin AFAIK.

Its also unfair to tar all engineers with the same brush.  I can understand your frustration, but when its a intermittent fault it can be a real PITA to identify exactly where it is.  Sometimes getting your MP to put pressure on them can help, but I've also found Sellys office very good personally.

I don't want to hijack the OP's post, so I'll be brief as I can. When I  said virgin, I meant their fttp ventures. I know it's unrealistic about openreach disappearing, but as long as that company is around, there isn't anything or anyone above them to control them. On top, you can't directly contact your exchange, engineers etc., Unless through your ISP, and even then they can simply reject a request to attend. It's only through head office and if you yourself had to contact Selly's office to get things moving, isn't that telling?

Our intermittent fault was regular in the winter. What did openreach do? Every time they came out they cleared it, saying it was the router, WiFi and all that nonsense, so that they'd not be liable for compensation. They know how to play the game and they play it well.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »

I don’t think those remarks actually help in any way.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »

Don't waste your time writing to Selly's office. Openreach are untouchable and the sooner there's more competition to get that company in order the better. In fact, I'd hope that they go bankrupt. And I have no sympathy for Openreach engineers either, as I think they're as bad as their company.

That attitude is pretty shitty.

We have a couple OpenReach employees on this forum who donate their time to help users here.
Your attitude towards them won't see you make any friends on this forum.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:56:11 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »

Yup - I think this is the wrong forum for this guy.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »

Thanks @j0hn and @bs for pointing that out more clearly than I did  :P
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »

That attitude is pretty shitty.
You have a massive stick up your ass.

We have a couple OpenReach employees on this forum who donate their time to help users here.
Your attitude towards them won't see you make any friends on this forum.

Sorry, are they here as Openreach or private individuals? The fact that they're employed by Openreach has nothing to do with it. They donate their time and help as individuals, which is very helpful of them, not as Openreach employees. So, I never questioned their knowledge or expertise as individual forum members, and I'm grateful to any member that has provided me with advice on here.

I'm also unsure why I shouldn't express my opinion on a public forum if it's not affiliated to Openreach in any form or shape. My opinion was based on observations on the basis of the past 9 months of dealing with my local Openreach, which, as you could tell, isn't the best.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:11:09 PM by Edinburgh_lad »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »

I'm also unsure why I shouldn't express my opinion on a public forum if it's not affiliated to Openreach in any form or shape

You're welcome to express whatever opinion you want.

And I have no sympathy for Openreach engineers either, as I think they're as bad as their company.

That was just... unnecessary though.

You're labelling and disrespecting tens of thousands of individuals based solely on who their employer is.

This forum is a small community that due to its main focus is made up of relatively large percentage of current and former OR/GPO employees.
That may or may not include some of the forum staff/moderators/volunteers.

Edinburgh has a high number of subcontractors (primarily Kelly Communications) working on behalf of OpenReach so a lot of those dealing with your issues over the last 9 months may not even have been OpenReach employees.

I just found your comment very unnecessary and rude, even more so considering you likely just insulted a few of those who were helping you in another thread just last week.
It was also off-topic in someone else's ongoing thread. Make your own thread to insult people?

This may be a "public" forum, but it it's owned by 1 individual and it has rules and usually a friendly atmosphere.
I've edited my previous post to remove an unnecessary comment I made.
Happy with the rest of what I said though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 11:24:08 PM »

Sorry, are they here as Openreach or private individuals? The fact that they're employed by Openreach has nothing to do with it. They donate their time and help as individuals, which is very helpful of them, not as Openreach employees. So, I never questioned their knowledge or expertise as individual forum members, and I'm grateful to any member that has provided me with advice on here.

You accused them of being as bad as the company which employs them, which by your own admission they clearly are not if they are helping people on here.

I don't think any of them would say Openreach is free of issues, its particularly hard getting problems dealt with by the right people, but to accuse them all of being careless and fobbing people off is extremely insulting and unfair.  Countless people on this forum have managed to solve complicated issues thanks to them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »

And I have no sympathy for Openreach engineers either, as I think they're as bad as their company.

If you'd said something like "I have no sympathy for Openreach engineers I've had dealings with", instead of making a totally unfounded generalisation which was insulting to two of the most respected and helpful members of these forums, your post might have been received more favourably.

We're a pretty tolerant lot on here; on other forums your attitude may have earned you an immediate ban and it would have been deserved.

I suggest an apology would be in order!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything