Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 4 plus ARM64 o/s (again)  (Read 2819 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Raspberry Pi 4 plus ARM64 o/s (again)
« on: August 31, 2022, 10:39:33 PM »

Have things moved on now in the Raspberry Pi world, where there are good ARM64 distros available now? I’m thinking about getting a RPi4 to add to my RPi3. My current RPi3 has a genius 32/64 hybrid o/s that can run a mixture of ARM32 and ARM64 apps and I’m extremely grateful for the help I received with setting this up so I can access it without keyboard/mouse/monitor; that was the killer, I couldn’t install it myself keyboard+monitorlessly. Enormous thanks to thank vic0239, and IanG, Johnson plus other contributors.

Referring back to old thread, which at will have to look up, I have had big problems with a broken D compiler stuck in the apt-get database for the debian buster AArch64 / ARM64 o/s that I’m running. As you just might possibly recall, I download the 64-bit D compiler and it just dies with an internal broken build error message. The 32-bit version works but it’s really annoying, so If I can move on, I’d like to.

So if anyone knows about current o/s availability then give me a shout. Unfortunately I might need the same help as last time getting it installed. I tried sitting upright in the office a while ago; one time I felt like death from being upright, a second time I was sort-of ok, so it varies. I can’t stand for more than a few minutes though, so I always get my wife to help me.

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Raspberry Pi 4 plus ARM64 o/s (again)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 11:32:26 AM »

I’m thinking about getting a RPi4 to add to my RPi3
Good luck with that, all memory permutatioins of RPi-4B have been virtually unobtainable for months with the two main UK suppliers, Pi Hut & Pimoroni restricting their very infrequent supplies availability to pre-registered customers on a one of basis only.

Have things moved on now in the Raspberry Pi world, where there are good ARM64 distros available now?
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/
RPi 64-bit OS, based on Dabian 11 (bullseye) has been available since April either in full desktop or lite versions.
Have tried out the 64-bit OS on my RPi-4b, 1Gb, no issues but would be better with more RAM of course so stuck with 32-bit OS in the mean time as no application plans for my RPi-4B at present.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 12:00:23 PM »

Does it need to be a raspberry pi?
https://dietpi.com/#download

Plenty of SBCs to choose from

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 12:49:38 PM »

Plenty of SBCs to choose from
Very true, Christopher Barnatt of "Explaining Computers.com" has produced many excellent videos on SBC's, RPi's and alternatives:
https://www.explainingcomputers.com/sbc.html
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

anything