Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What Speed is Actually NEEDED Nowadays?  (Read 4733 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: What Speed is Actually NEEDED Nowadays?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »

Firewall and routing, maybe DNS

PM sent, firewall, DNS and ip routes.  Happy to answer any questions.  The guts of the failover is in the route table, the recursive routes and associated gateways. 

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 08:40:32 AM »

Before I had multiple lines, I had just under 2 Mbps download on ADSL, and everything worked fine; in fact everything worked fine using 49k dialup. I think you need to get AA involved in diagnosing this. Maybe you’re getting packet loss?

Two and a half years ago we ran everything on this same ADSL without problems. In actual fact it runs faster now than it did back then as AA has nailed it up to disable DLM. Previously it used to keep getting slowed down, and on 20CN just one reconnection a slow speed took four days before the profile reset. So it's different behaviour now.

I think I need to properly test myself before I have anything that AA could comment on. Shutdown the LTE and check all the routing converges correctly with nothing pointing the wrong way.  As another test I have an SSID directly from the ADSL router so I can test completely independently of anything else.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 09:12:12 AM »

One thing that springs to mind, is it sites you were already using that stop working?  I know on pfSense there is an option for sticky states (I can't remember the exact name) which sets up the NAT session so once you hit a site, it will always use the same gateway.  You'd expect the router to wipe the NAT states for a gateway that is down, but maybe it isn't doing?

This may be completely barking up the wrong tree as that option is usually for load balancing rather than failover, but it seemed worth considering if there might be a similar option on your router.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:52 PM »

The Mikrotik routers do something similar which is a functional defect. If my router was doing NAT and the route changed, it would retain the old NAT until it closed or timed out. That's not a problem with TCP, or infrequent UDP where it times out anyway.  But it was a problem with SIP where the UDP by design has to be frequent enough to keep NAT and firewall entries in place.  I did not resolve that, although I had some sort of plan for a script that would clear sessions when a gateway changed state. 

In the current design the 4011 doesn't do NAT for either LTE or ADSL, so that specific issue doesn't apply any more. There may be some other hang up that's I've not yet found.

One thing to explore is redirect. I don't at the moment have a L3 transit to the ADSL router, so main router is default gateway and .1 on the subnet, ADSL is .2 on the same subnet.  This may redirect, or it may route I have not yet checked or tested.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »

That does remind me, last time I yanked out DSL the SIP did fail to transition over.  I do need to figure out how to fix that at some point.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything