Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to connect to Netflix from desktop with IPv6 enabled  (Read 2902 times)

toonshorty

Unable to connect to Netflix from desktop with IPv6 enabled
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »

I've recently got a new connection with Aquiss and got IPv6 setup on my EdgeRouter X, it took a fair bit of faffing around with config but it seems to be working.

Recently though, I've noticed a really odd issue which is when I try to access Netflix from my desktop, I just get the following error:

Code: [Select]
The connection has timed out

The server at www.netflix.com is taking too long to respond.

My phone was originally able to connect, but it seems it only had an IPv4 address at the time - once I turned WiFi off and on again, it was issued a couple of IPv6 addresses and started to get the same timeout error as well.

As far as I can tell, Netflix is the only site I've had any issues with. All the IPv6 connection test websites seems to be fine and don't report any issues.

Interestingly, I had this same issue the other week and didn't manage to resolve it, but it worked fine the following day without me changing anything.

I'm not entirely sure where to start debugging this one - does anyone have any ideas?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Unable to connect to Netflix from desktop with IPv6 enabled
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:18:46 PM »

There's a TON of reports on Google over Netflix not liking IPv6 because its harder to confirm your geolocation or if your ISP is considered a tunnel broken and so they consider you using a proxy.  Although normally it would at least load the web page.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 11:41:54 PM »

I don't know if this would work as I don't use Netflix.

Would putting the IPv4 IPs in the desktops hosts file to force IPv4 help?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:45:43 PM »

It might, some other people having problems fixed it by blocking the IPv6 entries from showing in DNS but I couldn't think off the top of my head an easy way to do that.

I'm still not 100% that would entirely fix it as it might let the website load, but I'd expect the video streaming servers will use different domain names so still try IPv6, but its certainly worth a try.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 03:58:59 PM »

If it's only the initial connection that is doing the geolocation check the video streaming servers may be OK over IPv6.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 07:02:45 PM »

In my experience Netflix are very aggressive, I've passed the initial check before then bam proxy error when trying to stream.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 10:55:37 PM »

I use IPv6 and Netflix and have no problems. I’m not IPv6-only though.

toonshorty

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 12:24:54 AM »

Thanks for all the responses guys.

After some further investigation, I came across a Reddit post from a user with the same router (ER-X) using IPv6 on BT with similar issues. There was a suggestion to tweak the 'mss-clamp' and 'mss-clamp6' settings to 1452 and 1432 respectively on the pppoe interface. This seems to have fixed it for now but it's been an intermittent issue so I'll give it a few days to see if the problem returns.

anything