Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP On Demand  (Read 1794 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
FTTP On Demand
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »

We are about to have an extension put on our house - and as part of that it essentially means we'll be staying at this house probably forever. I've had the OK to look into FTTPoD but am wondering what, if any, are the disadvantages of doing so (I mean aside from the build cost). I know FTTP is being rolled out, but I fear this may be 4-5 years away given the real vague info out there - but am happy to have it installed seeing as I'm now permanently a home worker and overall it would be cheaper for me to have FTTP than my current setup of 2 x FTTC circuits.

Curious to learn from anyone who has gone down this path if they could share any advice - whether it was worth doing or not, etc.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP On Demand
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:34:04 PM »

I went down the FTTPoD path, and it's ultimately a gamble on how long it'll be before Openreach foot the bill themselves (or some other altnet provider - e.g. in my case I've now got Cityfibre and Lightning Fibre rolling out in Eastbourne). I just had a leaflet from Cityfibre today saying they are building in my area soon and promoting themselves basically, but I'll be going with LF as soon as it's available due to the superior ping and most importantly it's a local ISP who seem to building a positive reputation. I pay rent and don't own the property, however I also went with the assumption that I'll be staying here for many years and it's better than the previous bonded FTTC connection I had (one of the two lines had an intermittent fault which was virtually impossible to sort out sadly). As I work from home, and host a server here, I wanted a reliable and speedy connection too.

Anyway, back to the topic... as you've pointed out the build cost is one of the disadvantages of FTTPoD. In the early days of the significantly altered FTTPoD charges the build costs were likely a fair bit cheaper than they should've really been. Mine if I recall was something like £3xxx range. If I had delayed it then it may have risen to perhaps double or worse than that figure. The other disadvantage can be the time it takes, unwanted problems may occur throughout the build process, and then making sure Openreach are stayed on top of. Cerberus did a reasonably good job of that back when I had FTTPoD done. You'll also pay a higher monthly cost on a 12 month contract and likely be limited to 330/30 unless you pay to end the contract early I guess. Other than that I can't think of any other major disadvantages.

Was it worth it? Yes. I work from home, I host a server from home and I wanted a speedy and more reliable connection. I took the risk that Openreach may roll out within the next few years as well as a local ISP and now Cityfibre. Also due to presumably Openreach overlooking not updating their database records for those connected to the same DP as me, as well as not promoting the availability of FTTP to those premises, I've pretty much had exclusivity for the last few years on this DP. I've not potentially been sharing FTTP if the GPON became 'busy'.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:40:39 PM by Ixel »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »

Interesting - Cerberus would be who I am looking at too. The 330Mbps is expensive, but close to what I am paying already. In my case I can really only use one connection at a time, so whilst I have about 115Mbps between my two circuits, I really can only use 50-60 depending on what link I happen to be using. The speed has progressively gotten slower over the years because of our old enemy crosstalk - when I first had FTTC back in 2012 - I would easily get over 75Mbps on the single circuit.

The quote for me is actually £5xxx (can't remember the exact figure) but I am willing to eat that. As you say, ultimately it is indeed all a gamble on when OR do my area. I've been watching the FTTP rollout map in South Wales and only 1/2 areas in Cardiff have gone green over the past 12-18 months - and recently they simply announced most of South Wales is getting FTTP with the entire region getting a date of "up to 2026" according to that superfast map from OR.

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 06:07:32 PM »

If you email Openreach you may be able to get a more accurate timeframe for normal FTTP in your area, though like all plans, it is subject to change..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:15:12 PM by gt94sss2 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »

The quote for me is actually £5xxx (can't remember the exact figure) but I am willing to eat that.

Is that your desktop quote?

We haven't seen a final survey quote under £8k in the last couple years, despite many desktop quotes below that.

There's various FTTPoD threads on the thinkbroadband forums with a spreadsheet of all the users desktop quotes vs final survey quotes.

The chances are any £250+vat survey you pay will come back at a minimum of £8k.
If you aren't happy to pay £8k for the install them I think paying for the survey is a massive gamble.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »

My build charge came out to be £8,935.00 + VAT.

Considering VAT is now 20% thats a big chunk of change. I decided not to proceed.

That was from July 2019 by Ceberus.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 12:55:25 PM »

II've been watching the FTTP rollout map in South Wales and only 1/2 areas in Cardiff have gone green over the past 12-18 months

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated.

Appreciate the roll-out map isn't the greatest, and extracting build information can prove to be demanding at times .... when you're part of the 2nd biggest national infrastructure overhaul project (after HS2), then I have a better understanding as to why that can be .... but looking at a map of Cardiff and its immediate neighbours, there's a large chunk of graft going on.

Of course, it all depends on where you sit in that geographical area, as to whether this info is deemed newsworthy or not.  :)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:42:13 PM »

Is that your desktop quote?

We haven't seen a final survey quote under £8k in the last couple years, despite many desktop quotes below that.

There's various FTTPoD threads on the thinkbroadband forums with a spreadsheet of all the users desktop quotes vs final survey quotes.

The chances are any £250+vat survey you pay will come back at a minimum of £8k.
If you aren't happy to pay £8k for the install them I think paying for the survey is a massive gamble.

/sigh, yeah £8K is rather a huge amount of money. £5K was indeed the desktop quote and not the final survey.

I don't think I can justify that money with my current situation. (i.e. two slowing but decent FTTC connections at around 60Mbps each)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:49:59 PM by dee.jay »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »

Appreciate the roll-out map isn't the greatest, and extracting build information can prove to be demanding at times .... when you're part of the 2nd biggest national infrastructure overhaul project (after HS2), then I have a better understanding as to why that can be .... but looking at a map of Cardiff and its immediate neighbours, there's a large chunk of graft going on.

Of course, it all depends on where you sit in that geographical area, as to whether this info is deemed newsworthy or not.  :)

Yeah, practically all of South Wales around Cardiff is now in plan - if somehow I could find out any dates about my area (Aberkenfig) that would be appreciated - but I don't know how much you are privy to...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 03:16:13 PM »

Just in case you wanted a read, here's the spreadsheet I was talking about.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFkK1sLBFQjlGgTwHKUI3aJSdNH-lgFsQ71SMxarWBA/

As you can see from it the last quote under £8k was June 2019. That was £4k down from a £15.5k desktop quote.

That's only those who have posted their figures on the ThinkBroadband forums.

At least there's no commitment when paying for a final survey. You may be pleasantly surprised if it comes in below the desktop quote.

We've also seen a few final surveys return with no quote because of confirmation of a local rollout in the immediate future and a refund of the survey fee.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »

I certainly can afford £250 to get the more realistic price. I know there is FTTP in the next street almost - there was no room for a cabinet near the existing one so I believe they all went FTTP. I suppose it would depend where the agg point is in relation to where I live, those houses and the exchange?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »

We've also seen a few final surveys return with no quote because of confirmation of a local rollout in the immediate future and a refund of the survey fee.

That's interesting as I have a rollout in my town but there is some doubt if my cul-de-sac would be included.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »

Ask his team, CEO     clive.selley@openreach.co.uk
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything