Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Modem for Huawei Cabinet  (Read 1026 times)

rn123

New Modem for Huawei Cabinet
« on: September 09, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »

Currently use an unlocked HG612 on my line. Much prefer a separate modem so I dont have to worry about rebooting at all but its an old unit and I need to extract as much from my line as possible as I only get sub 50mb down and 9up on my line on an 80/20 service (distance mainly).

I also have access to some Fritzbox 7530s so could use as purely modems, which from memory do give slightly better sync speeds.

I'm happy to buy a modem to use standalone or a modem/router to just use as a modem, but I cant see what the current recommendation for a Broadcom device is. What do people recommend here for something available new today?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New Modem for Huawei Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »

In terms of what is achievable from your current service, it might be financially worthwhile to see if your ISP/CP will provision your circuit using Openreach's 55/10 Mbps product rather than the 80/20 Mbps product.

As for a more recent modem (or modem/router), which makes use of a Broadcom chipset, I seem to recall that there is a ZyXEL device (from the VMGxxxx-B10n series) which has a positive recommendation. Perhaps other members will be able to fill in the blanks . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »

You can purchase a VMG3925-B10C for less than £10 from Ebay, most recent firmware is this year, broadcom chipset, performs very well as a bridge modem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vmg3925&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

It's also on the latest Openreach Approved Modems list:
https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-approved-vdsl-modems

rn123

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 02:51:24 PM »

In terms of what is achievable from your current service, it might be financially worthwhile to see if your ISP/CP will provision your circuit using Openreach's 55/10 Mbps product rather than the 80/20 Mbps product.

As for a more recent modem (or modem/router), which makes use of a Broadcom chipset, I seem to recall that there is a ZyXEL device (from the VMGxxxx-B10n series) which has a positive recommendation. Perhaps other members will be able to fill in the blanks . . .  :-\

Thanks. I think I'll look at the zyxel range.

rn123

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »

You can purchase a VMG3925-B10C for less than £10 from Ebay, most recent firmware is this year, broadcom chipset, performs very well as a bridge modem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vmg3925&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

It's also on the latest Openreach Approved Modems list:
https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-approved-vdsl-modems

Thanks, I had seen that one but wasn't sure if any good. I might go for one with a noise filter too so I need to check what the right model is.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »

I might go for one with a noise filter too so I need to check what the right model is.
VMG8324-B10A / VMG8924-B10A / VMG1312-B10A

anything