Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CONNECTIVITY - INTEL ANYPOINT 3240 USB MODEM  (Read 5256 times)

MODEM-MAN

• Just arrived
CONNECTIVITY - INTEL ANYPOINT 3240 USB MODEM
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »

Hoping someone out there can help etc.
Have been using the above for some 12 months since onset of sync problems with previous makes/models failing to connect. Have tolerated intermittent loss of sync and finally decided to upgrade as the Intel is no longer made or supported.
The short story is, following comments on Kitz forums, have tried modem/routers from BT, Netgear, and Belkin amongst others - all to no avail as none would sync at all. Fitted the NTE5 replacement top master socket - with internal filter - have had BT out on 6 or more occasions, endless questions raised with ISP and modem suppliers and no success with any.
So here I am communicating with the old, but functional, Intel.
Question is, how come this now defunct model is able to perform and the others not?
The best SNR ever seen on it has been 6db - currently 4db. Re my ISP, when questioning the low SNR they advised "low is better" which would seem to contradict your SNR page info ?
Last weekend purchased new PC and Zoom USB modem thinging that should fix it !
Modem does not connect ! even when plugged directly into master socket faceplate - all other phones unlpugged. Chat techie at Zoom as usefull as a chocolate poker !
As the Intel's were part of the then BT Openworld setup, were they "tweaked" to minimise possible aggro to BT as a result of poor line faults.

Will be going off-line now to try Intel with new PC setup.
Be interested in any comments.
Thanks

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: CONNECTIVITY - INTEL ANYPOINT 3240 USB MODEM
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »

Well, your ISP is telling porkies! :( The more SNR the better. 6dB is the default target SNR.

I have never heard of any of the USB Modems you mention so I will have to let someone else comment on that :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »

Welcome to the forums modem-man

There are a few factors which need to be taken into account when saying whether low / high snr is "better".

I think it's easiest to put it this way: On a MaxDSL package, the best SNR is the lowest you can get away with, yet whilst your line remains stable.

What's supposed to happen is, if your line is unstable, the target SNR should get raised by BT's "dynamic line management", or DLM, which is an automatic process, and increases stability, at the expense of a reduction in sync speed.

Please can you post your full line stats (attenuation, SNR, any error counters, etc), just to give us perhaps a better picture of your line conditions?
Chris

MODEM-MAN

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »

Thanks guys

Back on again via the old Intel ! running on extension cabling.

Current stats via Intel Connection Manager are :

Bytes RX : 707,729
Bytes TX : 128,479
Adsl CRC : 31,706
Local RS corrected : nil
AAL5 CRC : 1
SNR Margin : 2
Line Rate : up 288 - down 1152
connected for 1hr  18m

App distance from xchange - cabel length - 3.5km

Advised by ISP that I am on Max DSL and interleaving is auto.

Sometime later will try to connect with new Zoom 5510B modem (ex PC World) on new Packard Bell desktop (Vista)

ps Anyone want to buy an apparently redundant new & "Unused"
Belkin F5D7633uk4A ?

Thanks again

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »

The SNR is pretty low there I see :-\

Have look here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:13:09 AM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »

Your crc errors are very high, as your on a fixed speed dsl @ 1mb you don't have interleaving so >60 crc errors in a 5 min period is an indication of a problem.

Solving errors should be approched in the same way as sorting snr.

As your on a fixed speed snr is measured differently to rate adaptive dsl so in this case snr should be as high as possible, idealy above 9, teens is typical, 20's very good, 30's excellent, snr of around 6 or less then you'll be prone to drops of sync.

If it was a rate adaptive dsl (up to 8mb etc etc) then the ideal target snr
m is 6 but can go up which has an effect on the final sync speed. Alternatively a very low figure is sometimes an indication of all is not well unless the low figure is a querk of that particular router in the way it interprits the stats.

Also with a fixed speed the attenuation/insertion loss is more specific. the guide is less than 60db then 1mb is ok, less than 43db then 2mb is ok

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

The 1152/288 sync speed figures suggest you are on a fixed 1Mb product, not MaxDSL. Alternatively you have been placed on a MaxDSL capped product as part of the automatic Max fault processes (DLM)

You need to give your ISP the figures you posted above, specifically the line rate and SNR margin bits.

Warning: According to your current SNR, MaxDSL WILL give you a slower connection than you are currently on. You may end up with an IP profile of 750kbps or even 500kbps - it's only fair to tell you.
Chris

MODEM-MAN

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »

Thanks again for replies

Delay in replying due to sync losses - que sera etc.

Just ran BT Speedtest - result : 926Kbps.
The fixed versus adaptive point raised is just another conradiction as provided by ISP.
Some long time past after a fruitless "upgrade" to 2MB, a reversal to 1MB was carried out for similar reasons. Taking the point about a drop to 512Kbps being a possible outcome of a "fix", if this were then to be an "always on" connection, I could well live with that. 
I am not a "super techie" in any sense but, I am unable to come to terms with the basic question outlined in my first missive i.e. why does the Intel modem at least attempt to cope with the sync variances and provides a degree of connectivity when all other options tried will not make any connection.

Thanks again form Perplexed!

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »

why does the Intel modem at least attempt to cope with the sync variances and provides a degree of connectivity when all other options tried will not make any connection.

lol... probably because nobody really knows. It must just be a well engineered, sensitive modem? I don't know either!
Chris

MODEM-MAN

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »

Thanks to all replies.
Will continue the battle and will advise if & when resolved!

anything