Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Repair or replace?  (Read 574 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Repair or replace?
« on: September 14, 2021, 12:50:10 AM »

My Bosch Fridge freezer is on the blink. Freezer only getting to -10C when set to -20C and fridge at 10 degrees when set to 4. I suspect the fan has gone but not sure. It's a fairly old Excell model. I suspect the fan as I can no longer hear it cutting in when I close the fridge door but can hear the compressor on. I have another but the compressor for that is kaput but different type of fan. A replacement fan is £40 but I have tried to access the fan and there must be a trick to getting at the fan which the exploded parts diagram doesn't show. At first I thought it was ice as the channels that lead to the fan were full of blocks of ice. But have defrosted for an hour and still no go. I even tried a hairdryer up the fan chute in the freezer and I thought I heard the fan start when I plugged it back in but appears to have stopped after 24 hours. Call out charge for Bosch is £80 + parts. A new one around the £449 mark. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:39:11 AM by banger »
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »

£80+£40 seems better than £449 (assuming it is the fan).
depends how old the item is.

if any item is repairable at a reasonable price we should always do down that route rather than buying new.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:48:57 AM »

You need to vacuum any 'fluff' off the radiator on the back and anywhere else compressor, motor etc.
The thermostat is another thing to go wrong.
You need to fully defrost it and empty the 'drain' tray.

Has it got very good ventilation air flow to the back ?.

How are you measuring the -10 ?.

It's not next to a hot radiator I hope.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »

Checked it this morning and freezer is at -19C so not bad but fridge still warm.

@Tickmike using a dial thermostat in one of the drawers. It's not near a radiator. Just checked the Bosch site and call out has gone up to £99 - no guarantee it is the fan which is in stock.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655