Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Twisted pair or shielded

(1/3) > >>

Edinburgh_lad:
Hello

So far, I've used an ethernet cable as my extension cable (non-solid core).

I'm looking to get a solid core shielded cable, but unless you buy a 50m reel (I only need 4m!), it's either solid core twisted or solid core shielded (not twisted).

So, the question is: better to get solid core twisted, or solid core shielded (not twisted)? (I feel very Shakespearian asking this question, actually :))

Thank you.

PS if you know of anyone selling solid core twisted and shielded by metre (can be ethernet, too), please let me know.

Alex Atkin UK:
You only need shielded if:

1) You're running it next to mains cabling.
2) You're running it outdoors where there is lots of radio frequency signals

Also when you do, it MUST be earthed.

Basically shielded is used in building cabling that is more likely to pickup RF from other devices, standard rack mount switches are earthed to deal with this, but consumer routers and switches are not.

If you use a shielded cable without earthing it you run the risk of the opposite, the shield will act as an antenna picking up RF and transmitting it into the pairs.

licquorice:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on September 13, 2021, 05:03:14 PM ---
Also when you do, it MUST be earthed at both ends.

--- End quote ---

Noooo, one end only

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: licquorice on September 13, 2021, 05:17:19 PM ---Noooo, one end only

--- End quote ---

You got in there before me!  :)

(Alex, your topic for research is "ground loop(s)".  ;)  )

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: licquorice on September 13, 2021, 05:17:19 PM ---Noooo, one end only

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: burakkucat on September 13, 2021, 05:51:47 PM ---You got in there before me!  :)

(Alex, your topic for research is "ground loop(s)".  ;)  )

--- End quote ---

Thanks, corrected my post.

I'm not sure why I posted both ends as at the back of my mind I did remember something about one end due to ground loops, but I somehow got distracting when double checking it and posted before I'd done my due diligence.

Fortunately its a post here, I would have gotten my ass handed to me on any other forum.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version