Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone any better in 2021?  (Read 2139 times)

rn123

Vodafone any better in 2021?
« on: September 10, 2021, 10:24:27 AM »

Looking at the title, you might think I'm not with Vodafone, but in fact I am.

I pay a very cheap price for the 80/20 and line rental, less than £20 a month all in. There have been times where i have noticed some slow speeds. On a couple of occasions when i left lots of torrents downloading overnight where I was grabbing linux isos to try out, I found that I was throttled and when I woke up speeds were extremely slow. When I connected to a vpn, it shot back up.

So that was one example but on the whole it seems to work ok and its cheap. Moving to zen for example is close to double the cost.

Anyone else got any real world examples for Voda? I'm out of contract so can switch but just not sure if its worth it

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Vodafone any better in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 12:25:05 PM »

A VPN is not likely to make anything go faster unless it’s redirecting you to a different, equivalent target server and the problem was at the original target server, but the problem could be one of bad routing between the ISP’s core routers and that server. Anyway, this is not a reason to switch ISPs randomly, when the problem hasn’t even been diagnosed yet, and in any case a choice of another cheap ISP is likely to be poor (slow), that’s why they’re cheap. I’m afraid that to a certain extent you get what you pay for, although there are most certainly other factors in the costs of running ISPs. And a new cheap ISP may be just the same as the last one if you are really unlucky.

The first thing to do is to traceroute over a representative path and show us the results. You should also have a good moan at your current ISP and ask them why they are slow. A routing problem is their fault, or further upstream, but anyway it’s up to them to either fix it or liaise.

You talked about Zen. Zen is a perfect example of a quality ISP that runs a high speed network because they have invested in their systems  and who don’t just think in terms of race-to-the-bottom cost undercutting. They would be a good choice.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »

I left Vodafone in April, and went back to TalkTalk Business. My line is an 80/20 FTTC service, and I live in a block of apartments, after removing Vodafone's intrusive parental controls DNS and using my own modem, I could visibly see the line being DLM restricted under 70 down, which never happened on TTB.

Speeds were all over the place, I would never be faster than 67 down and 18 up, TTB give 72 down and 19/20 up.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »

could visibly see the line being DLM restricted under 70 down, which never happened on TTB.

But as we know, the ISP has zero control over DLM so I fail to see how you can blame Vodafone for this.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »

Well, almost true, ISP's have almost no control over Openreach's DLM except for the choice of three DLM profiles if I recall correctly (something like stable, balanced and speed, can't remember the names though). Vodafone might be applying a stricter DLM profile compared to TTB perhaps (e.g. more for stability, not speed).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 12:59:20 PM »

I'd be surprised as both being budget ISPs I'd expect them to go for as stable as possible.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »

Both Vodafone and TT residential use Standard profile.

I'm not sure about TTB because it depends on the retailer - afaik its Standard by default, but the retailing ISP can select Speed. ie AAISP. 
Same really as if it were BTw, then the retail ISP can opt for Speed profile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't, but I'd assume anyone saying TTB mean Talk Talk Broadband.  Most people haven't a clue what backhaul they are using so would refer to the ISP not the backhaul provider.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 10:45:21 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't, but I'd assume anyone saying TTB mean Talk Talk Broadband.  Most people haven't a clue what backhaul they are using so would refer to the ISP not the backhaul provider.

Oh, the ISP is Telecoms Consortium Ltd.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »

Oh, the ISP is Telecoms Consortium Ltd.

That showed me. :P

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »

I always assume TT is the standard retail ISP and TTB is TalkTalk Business which is a wholesale reseller of back haul to various ISPs.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »

I always assume TT is the standard retail ISP and TTB is TalkTalk Business which is a wholesale reseller of back haul to various ISPs.

Same here. I've always thought of TTB meaning TalkTalk Business.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »

Talktalk Business is both an ISP and the name of Talktalks Wholesale/backhaul division.

Talktalk Business (the ISP) use the Standard profile.

Talktalk Business the backhaul provider use whatever profile the ISP chooses.

Whenever I see mention of TTB I assume they mean the backhaul provider.

The 3 OpenReach DLM profiles/policies are called Speed, Standard and Stable.
Most providers use Speed or Standard.
I don't know anyone who uses the OpenReach Stable profile.

Confusingly BT Wholesale name the exact same 3 profiles as Standard, Stable and Super Stable.
So when BT tells a customer they are on the Standard DLM profile they always use the BT Wholesale terminology, which is actually the OpenReach Speed profile.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:22:15 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »

Basically, we need to stop using TTB as its so ambiguous.  I will ask people to be more specific in the future I think, only way to be sure.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »

For example, Andrews and Arnold use the TT wholesale/backhaul division as well as BT. Where there’s a choice and customers have several lines, in the past, AA have suggested that a customer might go for a mixture: a TT line and a BT line, say, for possibly greater resiliency.