Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DNS monitoring? - Plusnet stopped my internet until i chaged back to Plusnet DNS  (Read 1979 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

(staff: please feel free to move into the correct category)
Hi All

As some of you may have been aware from another post I made about dodgy TLS certificates NORD VPN was getting off the Zyxel router, and suggest a MAN IN THE MIDDLE attack may be occurring, and I may be having my connection EAVESDROPPED (this happened about 50% of the time when boot up)..

well, today I went out, came in and the internet was not working, troubleshooting said: "they can not contact their DNS servers" on all 5 of my devices! - even when I set it to ISPs in the router, IPv4 configs and had Firefox D.O.H disabled, VPN uninstalled and Panda AV uninstalled. rebooted, and I got the the same DNS problem message, BUT the router is up and connected at 67K..? the wires all attached perfectly?

I was gunna flush the DNS for good measure but for some reason, IPCONFIG and the app 'IPCONFIG' would not open? as if someone didn't want me messing around with the TCP/IP stack!!

So i called Plusnet who was pretty much useless, her excuse was "I SHOULD NOT BE TURNING MY ROUTER OF BEFORE BED, THAT IS WHY ITS  BROKEN"..!!!!! after 30 minutes of tests she said "can i put you on hold" and the VERY SECOND she did that the web pages loaded up??!!

so now, its currently working with PANDA back on, but using Plusnet DNS servers...its almost as if they WANT you to use theirs for the 2016 Investigatory Powers Act - in which they must by law save 12 months of your internet TLD usage by way of recording your DNS TLD, there was a whole HOO-HAA by the N.S.A about Mozilla integrating DNS over HTTPS (D.o.H) to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 (or other) saying it would seriously affect hunting down illegal users etc, now most browsers have it, theirs always been DNS CRYPT, DDNS, and third party DNS like Google, Open DNS, Comodo, CloudFlare etc.

Just thought i would put this out there...

edit: after this is what DSL stats shows -  almost as if i have a 5C+MK4 installed hahaha  :D :D :D - I got 2 of em, they are crap!

edit2: oh and power levels in DSL-stats are DOUBLE  what they normally are

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:36:30 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Questions:
Do you have an ipv6 address?
Have you turned off all parental controls, web safe etc from Plusnet?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Very misleading title as if DSL stats is showing a change its far more likely a DSL problem than it was anything to do with DNS.  Would be a huge coincidence for both things to happen at the same time when there is zero relation between the two.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen

Questions:
Do you have an ipv6 address?
Have you turned off all parental controls, web safe etc from Plusnet?

no IPv6 Address as Plusnet do not use them
cant find parental controls but pretty sure they are off
Plusnet's SAFEGUARD and FIREWALL are both OFF

I've noticed that since I've been turning off my router at nights I've clawed back over 5-6Mbps somehow, and my MGLAS used to be 61Mbps when was getting 80/20 - after 8 months the line dropped in a 4 hour window by 16 Mb to 63-64Mbps and my MGLAS was reduced 'mid-contract' with BT and Plusnet to 51Mbps.. since the speed has been going back up to 68Mbps and 74Mbps with Error Protection OFF the last few days (back on now as errors are too high for fastpath) the MGLAS has gone back up to 61Mbps... so this time I've taken a screenshot of it this time as proof for when it happens again.

the DSL-stats 'SNR graph' is now back to normal since leaving my router off all night - that's been a fault at the CAB/Exchange in my opinion coming to the end of all the hassle and getting the bigger picture...especially when I saw the graph above...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:14:56 AM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen

Very misleading title as if DSL stats is showing a change its far more likely a DSL problem than it was anything to do with DNS.  Would be a huge coincidence for both things to happen at the same time when there is zero relation between the two.

this is just what windows and my mobile were reporting, she put me on hold and it came through and when I opened DSL-stats that's what it looked like...so...

and the power levels are still double what they normally are on this 67.7k connection with error protection ON, normally 2.3dBm and now its 4.6dBm up/down
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:25:24 PM by snadge »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

I think plusnet may have resolved an issue on your account whatever that was, and the DNS stuff is just coincidence.

aesmith

• Kitizen

If you can't run "ipconfig" on your PC that can't possibly be a Plusnet problem.  However it might be related to something I find now and again on my work PC, where DNS stops working.  When this happens I can resolve the addresses with nslookup, but not if I'm trying to use the address.  For example "ping www.cisco.com" will say from the command line will fail saying host or domain not found (can't remember the actual message), but "nslookup www.cisco.com" will resolve.  It's cleared in my case by switching the PC DNS to manual, then switching it back to auto again.

If Plusnet were really interfering with your DNS lookups, could you route these over your Nord VPN so they can't see them?

anything