Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC dropouts  (Read 2960 times)

ads

Re: FTTC dropouts
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 12:44:45 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Seeing as BT are apparently working on fixing a fault their system identified outside of my home, I'm going to do nothing and see what they say. I haven't had any more dropouts since around 5am, so maybe they've already done something at the exchange or cabinet. Might be wishful thinking though! I'll make a note of any more dropouts and if need be I'll report back and try the factory reset/restore as suggested by gt94sss2.

ads

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Seeing as BT are apparently working on fixing a fault their system identified outside of my home, I'm going to do nothing and see what they say. I haven't had any more dropouts since around 5am, so maybe they've already done something at the exchange or cabinet. Might be wishful thinking though! I'll make a note of any more dropouts and if need be I'll report back and try the factory reset/restore as suggested by gt94sss2.

OR engineer came out a little while ago, phoned me and came into my house after doing his external tests and then ran some internal checks. Said everything is fine with the line and he reckons it's either the home hub dying or my ethernet cable or switch making it drop and is going to recommend BT replace the hub and for me to call them tomorrow/monday.

ads

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 02:47:54 AM »

Additional query;

I've found some posts online with similar issues to mine where it was only fixed with a 'lift and shift' and I'm wondering if moving from BT to say, Plusnet, would have the same effect. My BT contract ends next month.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »

I've found some posts online with similar issues to mine where it was only fixed with a 'lift and shift' and I'm wondering if moving from BT to say, Plusnet, would have the same effect. My BT contract ends next month.

Moving to any other ISP while remaining at the same address will change nothing on the distribution infrastructure, OR will have no reason to attend, all carried out remotely.
Your line however will get a DLM reset which after a few days with the new ISP will probably leave you back exactly where you started but with an alternative modem/router which may or may not be a better performer on your line.

Any VDSL service ISP you choose to use are subject to OR's infrastructure and service, with the obvious exception of cable services, some ISP's are better than others with respect to dealing with OR but that usually comes at a cost.

If OR are "happy" with the line and not willing to investigate further why not try a replacement modem/router preferably one which can produce worthwhile line stats, there are lots available S/H at very reasonable cost especially now with the ever increasing migration rate to FTTP and most migrants using their new ISP provided devices.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »

No. A change in ISP doesn’t change the physical arrangement of your line. It will cause a DLM reset however. I don’t see your problem could require a lift and shift.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

ads

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »

I love you guys, very helpful.

BT are indeed sending out a new hub. I'll hope for the best and whine again if it doesn't help.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything