Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiring another master socket  (Read 3450 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Wiring another master socket
« on: September 07, 2021, 10:26:58 PM »

Greetings All

What a great website and forum - I've learnt so much by reading it and your posts.

I was wondering if someone would please advise:

- my master socket is in a bedroom but our router is in the hallway. So far, I've used an ADSLNation extension socket in the hallway and it's been great, but it looks like the filter is now faulty after some 10 years in service.

- since ADSLNation don't make extension sockets, I'd like to connect another BT NTE5 socket to the master socket so that I can keep the router in its current place. The problem is that all NTE5 sockets have only A and B at the back of the plate, but we're still using an old/retro GPO phone that requires the bell wire. NB: I'd need a filtered faceplate at the new location.

Would someone please advise where to connect the bell wire in the extension NTE5 socket? See the illustration showing what I'd like to achieve.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Wiring another master socket
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 11:16:24 PM »

You don't want more than one master socket on your line, as that will cause issues.

However, it sounds as if https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wiring-info/ has the wiring information you are after

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:04:01 AM »

Personally I'd say replace the phone, as having the bell wire connected often causes a lower broadband speed.

Or use something like this and a plug in microfilter.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:59:13 AM »

You don't want more than one master socket on your line, as that will cause issues.

However, it sounds as if https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wiring-info/ has the wiring information you are after

Thanks. What issues, though? Wouldn't it just function like an extension socket then with filtering taking place at the extension, rather than the master socket itself?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 01:03:38 AM »

Personally I'd say replace the phone, as having the bell wire connected often causes a lower broadband speed.

Or use something like this and a plug in microfilter.
I like my retro phone.

I've previously had a Dec phone (gigaset) and noticed more issues with CRC errors appearing than with my gpo phone. Speedwise, it wasnt much of a difference, and even if it's just 1mbps, then it won't matter with vdsl2 as 63mbps Vs 60mbps makes little difference to me

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 08:00:40 AM »

As already said, it's not good practice to have more than one master socket on a line.
A simple, if not the most elegant, solution would be to put a standard socket at the end of the AB connection from the current master and use a decent rats-tail filter to connect your GPO phone and router to.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »

As already said, it's not good practice to have more than one master socket on a line.
A simple, if not the most elegant, solution would be to put a standard socket at the end of the AB connection from the current master and use a decent rats-tail filter to connect your GPO phone and router to.
 :)

Look, appreciate your comments, but that's not what the question was about. I know it's not a good practice etc etc, but given the current set up, I have to another socket without dangling filters.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »

Thanks. What issues, though? Wouldn't it just function like an extension socket then with filtering taking place at the extension, rather than the master socket itself?

bell wire can be susceptible to RF interference, if you are still looking to do this, two pairs from a shielded ethernet cable would reduce the chance of RF interference.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 09:47:35 AM »

You don't need 3 wires from the original master to the secondary master.

If you really must bodge this, then simply just wire from the data extension terminals of the original master to the incoming terminals of the secondary master.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »

If you really must bodge this, then simply just wire from the data extension terminals of the original master to the incoming terminals of the secondary master.

I can't think of any other way if a rat-tail filter is off the menu. It is a bodge as you say.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »

I can't think of any other way if a rat-tail filter is off the menu. It is a bodge as you say.

Sorry, who is talking about it being a bodge. It'll be neat and tidy, and all connected properly.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »

You don't need 3 wires from the original master to the secondary master.

How's the bell signal fed?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 11:08:15 AM »

bell wire can be susceptible to RF interference, if you are still looking to do this, two pairs from a shielded ethernet cable would reduce the chance of RF interference.

Modern filters filter out this interference, don't they?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

Modern filters filter out this interference, don't they?

Yes but extension wiring adds interference.
Shielded ethernet would give a cleaner signal than filtering extension wiring.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »

How's the bell signal fed?

The second master socket will supply it via its bell capacitor.
If you do go this route I'd cut the out of service resistor from the second master as only one is required on a circuit.
Pages: [1] 2

anything