Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Build Apartment and FTTP  (Read 1051 times)

nekr0mantik

• Just arrived
New Build Apartment and FTTP
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

Hello
Normally new build apartments that have OpenReach FTTP installed by Developer have both the fiber and the ONT installed ready to go.
However I am in strange situation where the Openreach checker says my apartment has FTTP and a new ONT can be ordered.
Does this mean the developer was lazy and did not get OR to install ONTs?
Or could it mean ONT is there but not connected properly?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New Build Apartment and FTTP
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 10:31:33 PM »

Am I right in presuming that you have not yet moved into you new home?

However I am in strange situation where the Openreach checker says my apartment has FTTP and a new ONT can be ordered.

That message is displayed when there already is an ONT connected to a lit fibre at the address and is stating what needs to be done if another service is required.

I predict that when you move in, you will find an ONT powered up and ready for a service to be supplied by an ISP/CP of your choice. (Basically you have nothing to worry about.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

nekr0mantik

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 11:21:08 PM »

Am I right in presuming that you have not yet moved into you new home?

That message is displayed when there already is an ONT connected to a lit fibre at the address and is stating what needs to be done if another service is required.

I predict that when you move in, you will find an ONT powered up and ready for a service to be supplied by an ISP/CP of your choice. (Basically you have nothing to worry about.)

Correct
When I viewed I did not see a ONT so found it strange.
I saw a box that looked like the one in my current flat where the fibre is plugged into the ONT so looks like fibre is there but no ONT.
My issue is I work from home so having to wait 2-4 weeks for engineer will be difficult :(
So wanting to find out if its common for new build to have FTTP but no ONT pre installed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 11:50:18 PM »

So wanting to find out if its common for new build to have FTTP but no ONT pre installed.

Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer but it would be very strange for the fibre to be in situ without an ONT.

nekr0mantik

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »

Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer but it would be very strange for the fibre to be in situ without an ONT.

Okay that's what I thought too
Unless it was done by developer who didn't bother to install ONT as they already got Virgin media fiber including router in every apartment.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:30:10 AM »

I've just seen the topic "New Build with Older ONT" in the ThinkBroadband forum. So now there is an ONT at that location . . .

nekr0mantik

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:39:03 AM »

I've just seen the topic "New Build with Older ONT" in the ThinkBroadband forum. So now there is an ONT at that location . . .

Yup found out there is one I missed when I asked agents to check but bt still think it needs engineer so suspect it's not powered on or connected.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 06:37:09 PM »

Yup found out there is one I missed when I asked agents to check but bt still think it needs engineer so suspect it's not powered on or connected.

I wonder if the engineer needs to read the serial number to get it paired?  You'd think they would keep a record when initially installing it, but its understandable they can't/wont authenticate it on the PON until its actually got a live service and its somewhat understandable they might want an engineer to double check the light levels before doing that too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »

I wonder if the engineer needs to read the serial number to get it paired?  You'd think they would keep a record when initially installing it, but its understandable they can't/wont authenticate it on the PON until its actually got a live service and its somewhat understandable they might want an engineer to double check the light levels before doing that too.

b*cat nods. That could well be the case.

nekr0mantik

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 08:39:29 PM »

Ah ok
As I am working from home still need internet so they said they can supply me with 4g hub to tide me over until engineer can visit in 2 - 4 weeks but I dont want to pay the extra for Halo 3 Plus! Will see what they say when I actually place the home move order.