Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP Install.  (Read 2172 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Install.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »

Thanks, another hypothetical question if i may (rather than start another thread)

With my current set up all devices apart from my PC (ethernet) are connected by Wi-Fi.

I have a dual band router and i get the following speeds (Mbps)

PC (ethernet) = 74.08

Phone 2.4 GHz = 33.8

Tablet 2.4 GHz = 41.85

Tablet 5.0 GHz = 55.52

As it would be hard to hide a ethernet cable in the kitchen i was wondering what effect it would have on my fastest device (the PC)

Assuming i am going to get a minimum of 100 Mbps on TalkTalks cheapest 150 package (i don't really want to pay more) does this mean the fastest i can hope for on the wireless PC  would be 80 Mbps  using the theory that the fastest wireless speed  i can get now on a 75 Mbps connection is 55 Mbps?

Depends, if the 55Mbit limit is due to what you are syncing at, then yeah it should be faster.

Generally with a good signal 5Ghz should easily do the full 150Mbit, in the same room I can get up to 850Mbit over 802.11ac/WiFi 5 wireless to my NAS but even on a bad day its well in excess of 150Mbit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:39:32 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »

I get the full speed for the 80Mbps package i am on (TalkTalk Fibre 65)

PC (ethernet) = 74.08 Mbps.

I am doing the speed tests from my PC desk in the kitchen the router is in the front room and there are a couple of thick walls between us i tried the phone again and gained 3 Mbps by going to the router.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:44:25 PM by maxheadroom »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »

What router is it and do you know what channel width its using?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »

What router is it and do you know what channel width its using?

Its the talk talk wi-fi hub (the new one) i am pretty sure i changed the channel to non congested ones using a popular app to see if they were congested (i cannot remember the apps name)

I edited my earlier post to say -
I am doing the speed tests from my PC desk in the kitchen the router is in the front room and there are a couple of thick walls between us i tried the phone again next to the router  and gained 3 Mbps

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 08:49:08 PM »

Not sure what you mean by channel width, is it this -

Phone 2.4 GHz = 33.8

Tablet 2.4 GHz = 41.85

Tablet 5.0 GHz = 55.52

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »

WiFi channels are not a single channel the are a group, channel width determines how much of the radio frequency band that channel uses.

2.4Ghz typically uses 20Mhz as theres only around 60Mhz usable and you don't want to overlap other networks.
5Ghz can use up to 160Mhz which is why it can go so much faster, though a lot of routers and clients only support up to 80Mhz.

The speed you get at long range will reduce as you increase the channel width, but the speed you get in closer range will increase.  So it can be a good idea to test different widths to see if it performs satisfactory in all the places you use wireless.

Another thing that impacts your speed is MIMO, a lot of clients are only 1 transmit 1 receive, or 1x1, the higher the MIMO the faster your WiFi link can go at the same channel width.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:58:42 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »

Did you know?
We're upgrading millions of homes and businesses to Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband
At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre, but provide your contact details and we'll keep you up to date if things change - we add new locations into our build plan every three months.

By the time you get FTTP, I expect ISPs will be issuing WiFi 6 equipment as standard. As such, to predict what speeds you might get, especially if you fit a WiFi 6 dongle/card to your PC.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »

By the time you get FTTP, I expect ISPs will be issuing WiFi 6 equipment as standard. As such, to predict what speeds you might get, especially if you fit a WiFi 6 dongle/card to your PC.

True, but something seems off as they should be hitting the same speed on WiFi as wired unless the signal is incredibly weak.  So an upgrade now might help, although its kinda bad economy as Wifi 6e will hopefully become more common soon.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »

Thanks for all your brilliant help.

I registered with Openreach to get the latest and upcoming info on FTTP in my area and as you can see its not happening in the next year,  i am happy with the speed we get now so FTTC will do until FTTP becomes available 

Dear ****

I wanted to let you know that we’ve successfully received your request to be kept up to date on information about Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband.

At the moment, * ***** ****** isn’t planned to have Ultrafast Full Fibre built in the next year. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear. Building our new Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband to the whole of the U.K. is a massive engineering project that takes years to complete, but rest assured we’re working as fast as we can. Currently we’re passing a home or business every 14 seconds.

We’re always adding new areas into our build plan, and now that you’ve given us your details, I’ll let you know when things change.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:50:59 PM by maxheadroom »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »

That's interesting, when I registered I never got an e-mail.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »

I went through the check here -

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

and it came back with -

Did you know?
We're upgrading millions of homes and businesses to Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband.
At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre, but provide your contact details and we'll keep you up to date if things change - we add new locations into our build plan every three months.

I filled the form and ticked email.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:55:20 PM by maxheadroom »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »

When did you register? I registered back in May 2020 and received a email confirmation (though the layout/content is different from the current version they send).

I did try to register the property again - but no email the second time!

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 08:02:15 PM »

When did you register? I registered back in May 2020 and received a email confirmation (though the layout/content is different from the current version they send).

Last week.

Did you tick the preference box at the bottom?

I didn't get a conformation the first contact from them was the email above.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:04:57 PM by maxheadroom »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »

I wonder if that's it and I had registered before and forgotten?  Not an issue anyway as I chased up directly with Openreach, just deciding when is the next best to torment them again.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything