Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Install.  (Read 2173 times)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
FTTP Install.
« on: September 04, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »

I found this video earlier when looking for something else could someone confirm this is all that is installed within the house?

This may be a bit of a daft question but i will post it anyway -
My existing phone line is connected to the pole near the back of the house and the line runs through the back and front bedrooms runs down the front of the house and enters the living room where the master socket is located, if i were to get FTTP how would the cable enter the property?

https://youtu.be/o-PtbckU9ws

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP Install.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »

More than likely yes, if at all possible they will take it exactly the same route as the copper.

I don't think its guaranteed they use the new ONT but there's a very good chance they will.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 10:48:46 PM »

. . . could someone confirm this is all that is installed within the house?

That is a Nokia G-010G-Q and yes, unless an internal CSP is required because of a difficult installation, that is the only item fitted internally.

(Of course, by the time your own installation takes place, there may also be other ONTs deployed by Openreach.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 12:27:41 PM »

Thanks.

Do you have any idea about my earlier question -

This may be a bit of a daft question but i will post it anyway -
My existing phone line is connected to the pole near the back of the house and the line runs through the back and front bedrooms runs down the front of the house and enters the living room where the master socket is located, if i were to get FTTP how would the cable enter the property?

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »

I think i may have had a senior moment.

I was assuming the fibre cable would have to come into the house where the existing master socket is but i assume that is not the case and in theory it could enter in the kitchen which is closest to the pole and the ONT could be fixed to the wall there,  or have i got the totally wrong?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:05:21 PM by maxheadroom »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »

I was assuming the fibre cable would have to come into the house where the existing master socket is but i assume that is not the case and in theory it could enter in the kitchen which is closest to the pole and the ONT could be fixed to the wall there,  or have i got the totally wrong?

The ONT does not need to be anywhere near the existing telephony master socket or any other socket . . . other than a mains electricity socket for its power supply.  ;) 

Decide where would be the best location for the ONT (perhaps it would be best not sited in the kitchen) in terms of a mains electricity supply and an Ethernet cable link to your other networking equipment. Then look to see what would be a nice, simple, route for the fibre drop cable to reach and enter your home from from the pole top CBT.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 01:57:20 PM »

Thanks.

The kitchen is the only room at the back of the house (nearest to the pole) that has a electric socket and due to the bathroom being on the ground floor the only place the equipment could be installed is on the wall next to the window, this is furthest wall  from the cooker/kettle and microwave so i am hoping it wouldn't be an issue.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 03:57:28 PM »

I see. (With my mind's eye.) Perhaps have the ONT mounted relatively high on the wall where it will be out of the way.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »

I see. (With my mind's eye.) Perhaps have the ONT mounted relatively high on the wall where it will be out of the way.

Yes that was my thought the twin plug socket is above a work surface with plenty of room above so i would probably put a shelf up to keep the router etc  out of harms way.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »

Do you actually have a date for the install? (Or are you just future-planning things.)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »

Do you actually have a date for the install? (Or are you just future-planning things.)

Future planning, i wasn't aware that copper is going to be scrapped and i was waiting for G-Fast to be rolled out here blissfully unaware it is no longer being rolled out anywhere, as this is the case i started to look at how it would be installed here (terraced house with pole behind house) and thanks to this site i know know a lot more about it than i did this morning.

We cannot get it here at the moment -

Did you know?
We're upgrading millions of homes and businesses to Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband
At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre, but provide your contact details and we'll keep you up to date if things change - we add new locations into our build plan every three months.
Also, why not consider our Community Fibre Partnership programme to see if you could get Full Fibre sooner?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:03:12 PM by maxheadroom »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 05:15:56 PM »

Future planning,

It's always good to think things through before any decisive action is required.

i wasn't aware that copper is going to be scrapped . . .

Not for a very long time. The only certainty is that the classic PSTN will be turned off and all telephony will have to be VoIP.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »

Thanks, another hypothetical question if i may (rather than start another thread)

With my current set up all devices apart from my PC (ethernet) are connected by Wi-Fi.

I have a dual band router and i get the following speeds (Mbps)

PC (ethernet) = 74.08

Phone 2.4 GHz = 33.8

Tablet 2.4 GHz = 41.85

Tablet 5.0 GHz = 55.52

As it would be hard to hide a ethernet cable in the kitchen i was wondering what effect it would have on my fastest device (the PC)

Assuming i am going to get a minimum of 100 Mbps on TalkTalks cheapest 150 package (i don't really want to pay more) does this mean the fastest i can hope for on the wireless PC  would be 80 Mbps  using the theory that the fastest wireless speed  i can get now on a 75 Mbps connection is 55 Mbps?

Or have i got this all wrong?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:51:14 PM by maxheadroom »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 06:07:36 PM »

I am not sure.  :-\  Perhaps other members might be able to assist with that query?

Ideally, with the ONT located high on the wall in the kitchen, I would be considering how I could run a length of Ethernet cable to elsewhere in the house. I would not have the firewall/router/WAP on a shelf in the kitchen but in a more convenient location within the house.

With external grade Ethernet cable, it could be run back outside and then, say, up to the roof, across the (internal) roof space, out of the roof space at the front of the house and down before re-entering into the house.

Or could an Ethernet cable be run down from the ONT and then under the floor to a more appropriate location?

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »

I would not have the firewall/router/WAP on a shelf in the kitchen but in a more convenient location within the house.

The PC which i use far more than any other device is in the kitchen (by far the biggest room in out small house) the PC  has wireless built in but i have always used Ethernet for the higher speeds we have laminate floor so i don't really want to pull it up my DIY skills are not  the best, i may just bite the bullet and go for the 500 package as if my understanding of this is right the huge jump in speed would guarantee our Wi-fi speeds are much higher than what we are getting now or would get on the 150 package.

FIBRE 150 - FULL FIBRE

£32 a month, 18 month contract + P&P £4.95. 100% full fibre straight to your home. Up to 13x faster than standard broadband.

147 Mb/s average download speed

Next gen Amazon eero 6 router: Dual-band Wi-Fi 6 covers up to 1,500 square feet (subject to location*)

Expert install: get the best connection from day one

Data only: no phone line - just pure broadband

FIBRE 500 - FULL FIBRE

£40.00 a month, 18 month contract + P&P £4.95. Our fastest, most reliable broadband ever. Up to 45x faster than standard broadband.

506 Mb/s average download speed

Next-gen Amazon eero Pro 6 router: Tri-band Wi-Fi 6 covers up to 2,000 square feet (subject to location*)

Expert install: get the best connection from day one

Data only: no phone line - just pure broadband

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:26:23 PM by maxheadroom »
Pages: [1] 2