Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Preparation  (Read 2296 times)

Bestgear

FTTP Preparation
« on: September 02, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »

Hi Guys

Currently have FTTC with a duct delivered cable to my home.

FTTP will be pulled through the duct.

Question is - I have ordered the voice service too - are OR providing that over a shotgun cable on copper or are they still issuing the ONT with the phone socket?

I want to pre-run either fibre or if its shotgun cable, I would be better providing a pull cord under the floor for them to bring their cable right into the comms rack.

I am assuming that the existing cable will be used to pull in the new.

Thoughts?

David

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP Preparation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 01:47:34 PM »

If your order is with BT, voice service will be provided by their Digital Voice (VOIP) service via the home hub (not the ONT) via the fibre, no copper involved.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 03:05:41 PM »

Question is - I have ordered the voice service too - are OR providing that over a shotgun cable on copper or are they still issuing the ONT with the phone socket?

I want to pre-run either fibre or if its shotgun cable, I would be better providing a pull cord under the floor for them to bring their cable right into the comms rack.

I am assuming that the existing cable will be used to pull in the new.

Thoughts?

David

OpenReach only provide ONT's without a phone port now.

Whether your voice service is over the copper via PSTN or is over the FTTP broadband via VOIP depends on the ISP and how they choose to provision it.

If it's BT it's VOIP (no copper) and you must use their Smart Hub to make or receive calls.

They usually leave the existing copper feed in place and pull a new single fibre cable in.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:08:35 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bestgear

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 05:24:30 PM »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies - its very much appreciated.

I called BT and spoke to someone in Dundee and they said the looked at the build for my order and that the voice would remain on the same copper pair that it lives on today - so thankfully no change!

That means I just need to pre-run some fibre from the duct to the comms rack this weekend, leaving the existing copper as is.

They also said that as the voice service was "optional" - I could cancel it at any time as its a service rather than being a core contract deliverable. However, I would not receive the £5 reduction in bill should I choose to go that way.

I think I will leave my PSTN as it is for incoming and use outbound calls via SIP as I have had for a few years. BT could not offer me any calling packages on the line - which I was very surprised about . Even when ordering FTTP at no time did it offer me calling packages - they were all offers of channels and mobile sims from memory.

Lastly - yesterday morning a BT engineer rocked up to provide FTTP to my immediate neighbour... which just moved into their home at the weekend.... and the duct is blocked, so BT/OR have been there the last two days trying to sort things out... and it looks like a dig is required which will be fun. I just spoke to the guys and made sure they did a good job as they would be back doing the same for me if they just push any blockage a few meters up the road.. hehe

David

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »

BT offer 3 call packages, Pay as you go, 700 minutes or unlimited minutes. The copper line will be discontinued at some point, allegedly 2025 but that is doubtful.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »

That means I just need to pre-run some fibre from the duct to the comms rack this weekend, leaving the existing copper as is.
Will they use fibre that is customer supplied?  Or have you got some fibre from them? 
As everything including the ONT and fibre is Openreach plant equipment, I'd imagine it all has to be theirs?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »

Will they use fibre that is customer supplied?  Or have you got some fibre from them? 
As everything including the ONT and fibre is Openreach plant equipment, I'd imagine it all has to be theirs?

Agreed, I can't imagine them being able to commission it any other way especially as anything that happens to the signal could potentially interfere with the whole PON.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bestgear

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »

Hi

Good question in terms of if they will use my supplied fibre.... we will see. Worst case is that they use it as a pull through for their own fibre.

The fibre seems readily available on ebay, and even seen it in car boot sales.

The "stuff" I used is like "EZBend" but it is wrapped inside a tough protective black outer - with a pull cord to open out the fibre inner core - thinking its better for under floor boards and may end up sustaining a few future knocks.

We will see....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 04:08:16 PM »

Good question in terms of if they will use my supplied fibre.... we will see.

Just install a conduit (with draw-cord) from the proposed entry point, down under the floor, to your own rack. I am certain that Openreach will not use your own fibre.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bestgear

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »

Just install a conduit

Hmm... I did consider that... just trying to work out when I will have time to run a conduit too... you just never know if they will/wont....

I could do with an external wall box to cover all the cables especially now with the original armoured cable, new fibre, pull cord I left in there and now a conduit.....I hope BT would not have an issue splicing in there too!!

Bestgear

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »

Hi

Thought I would come back and update the thread now that its "working".

OK - my voice is provided over the existing copper pair - no move planned to VOIP for my exchange apparently.

Fibre run ended up with a blocked duct, so my monoblock drive got dug up in two places - they did however make a nice clean job of making good.

The installation DID use my pre-run inside out fibre - so the install was nice and neat under the floor as I wanted - no issues with using the fibre I provided - so a result!

What I did have however - which means effectivly a months delay is that my neighbours ONT was registered at my address! So the neighbours service was disconnected three times over a s many weeks as we both had our BT orders cancelled and replaced. Nightmare of countless phone calls to us and the neighbour to get it sorted. Apparently there is no way for them to reassign an ONT to a different premise without a cease and reprovide.

At least its now worth it....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 06:07:48 PM »

The installation DID use my pre-run inside out fibre - so the install was nice and neat under the floor as I wanted - no issues with using the fibre I provided - so a result!

I'm very surprised at that.  :o  But as you have typed: result!

Was the installation performed by Openreach? Or one of their contractors?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 02:49:42 AM »

Very surprising, how did they joint it using plugs or did they fusion splice to your fibre run?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bestgear

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »

Was the installation performed by Openreach? Or one of their contractors?

Openreach....

Bestgear

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »

How did they joint it using plugs or did they fusion splice to your fibre run?

Fusion weld.... worked all ok first time.