Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nuisance call protection...what is the best?  (Read 3738 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Nuisance call protection...what is the best?
« on: August 30, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »

Hi All

Im asking on behalf of my father who says he gets many several nuisance & scam calls per day even though he is on TPS (obviously scammers dont adhere to that) - he is moving ISP soon (as he has done every 18 months) and is not only wanting advice on other ISPs at 40/10 other than NOW and PLUSNET as he's tried them and wants to try something new, but reliable.

Anyway, his main concern was preventing the nuisance calls, BT (as a phone service) claim they can stop 100% of nuisance calls, but the reviewer said their other stuff left a lot to be desired (crap), and recommended the Panasonic KX-TGH260 or, even better, the Gigaset C570A handsets.

do any of our users have this problem and what is your fix?

thanks in advance :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
Re: Nuisance call protection...what is the best?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »

I am with Talk Talk on their FTTC Fibre 65 80/20 package and their free Call Safe is brilliant, we never get scam or nuisance calls any more -

They also offer a Fibre 35 FTTC 38Mbps package - https://new.talktalk.co.uk/broadband/fibre

Every time you get a call, CallSafe will automatically check the number to make sure it’s someone you want to hear from. Regularly dialed numbers like friends and family, will be put straight through. For any new callers, CallSafe will:

1. Check to see if the number is on a list of unwanted callers. If so, it’s automatically blocked and your home phone never rings.

2. Manage any other callers with an extra step. It will ask the caller to record a short introduction before your phone rings. You’ll hear this message when you pick up your home phone and have the choice to either answer, ignore, or block the call.

CallSafe needs no extra kit, simply dial 1472 to turn it on and leave the rest to us. If you want, you can view and manage your approved and blocked callers through My Account or by calling 1472. Or you can let CallSafe manage it, giving you one less thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:45:54 PM by maxheadroom »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 12:52:32 PM »

BT (as a phone service) claim they can stop 100% of nuisance calls,

i'd be surprised if that's what they actually said, as it would be impossiblle to stop 100% of them, much in the same way that cleaning product can't say they kill 100% of germs.

as above, the only way to block every scam call is to block any call that isn't on your approved list, which could also block non scam calls (ie legitimate calls from doctors, banks who can call from withheld numbers or non geographical number etc who won't "leave a message" due to security)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:54:44 PM by chenks »

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »

If you want to stay with your current ISP you could buy a true call box see video below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224590202156?hash=item344a9e852c:g:URAAAOSw1f1hECsM

https://youtu.be/s7TtnfVLNFI
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 02:02:54 PM by maxheadroom »

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »

I have just edited my earlier post to add -

I am with Talk Talk on their FTTC Fibre 65 80/20 package and their free Call Safe is brilliant, we never get scam or nuisance calls any more -

They also offer a Fibre 35 FTTC 38Mbps package - https://new.talktalk.co.uk/broadband/fibre

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 03:09:44 PM »

No service provider can block calls reliably by blacklisting the only way is whitelisting via a call blocking system or phone such as described by @maxheadroom which only allows whitelisted numbers through without being interrogated.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »

That's fine while you are on FTTC but once on FTTP with TT there is no phone and no call safe as they do not do VOIP so you need another method.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »

... but once on FTTP with TT there is no phone and no call safe as they do not do VOIP...

Yet!

If they don't provide a way for people to have a phone without using another supplier they will lose a lot of custom to ISPs that do offer VoIP.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 04:29:07 PM »

Yet!

If they don't provide a way for people to have a phone without using another supplier they will lose a lot of custom to ISPs that do offer VoIP.

Still yet to trial a VOIP service and none of their CPE supports it.
I don't think they are in any rush or seem too worried about it.

I had to agree that I had sufficient mobile coverage in the event of an emergency etc.
It's very much the minority who use a landline now.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 05:10:35 PM »

I must admit that no landline would not bother me as we have reasonable mobile coverage but 'she who must be obeyed' is adamant about the house phone which does get used.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

That's fine while you are on FTTC but once on FTTP with TT there is no phone and no call safe as they do not do VOIP so you need another method.

Stuart

https://www.comms-dealer.com/industry-news/talktalk-business-acquires-tipicall-and-disrupts-market-free-sip-offer

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:18
TalkTalk Business is on a mission to shake-up the wholesale SIP market with a free offer following the acquisition of SIP and hosted carrier tIPicall.

They do VoIP, just need to get hold of Guy Miller, Director of Next Generation Voice Services at TalkTalk Business.

If he still works there of course.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »

It's very much the minority who use a landline now.
Have you figures to back up that assertion?

While all outgoing calls my wife and I make are using our mobiles, more of our incoming calls are to our landline than our mobiles. That's because we don't have any calls package and only pay basic line rental and use the free calls included with the data allowance on our mobiles. When family call they are happy to speak to either my wife or I so it makes more sense for them to call the landline. I know a number of people who do the same.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 10:26:42 PM »

I am getting a morning scam call from India every day on my old BT/Sky phone line. The only thing that stops the problem is an answering machine set to answer after one ring. As I have mentioned before in the past, I never get a scam on my Sipgate V.O.I.P line.....

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »

I never get calls on my SIPgate lines at all, lol.  I'm really surprised they didn't terminate my accounts as I left them unused for years and only recently have them permanently logged in.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 11:42:13 PM »

Ditto.

I had a Sipgate line for business use, but haven't used it since I retired. When I saw that the Zen supplied Fritz box could be used along with a standard wired handset I thought what the ****, and set it up.
Pages: [1] 2

anything