Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nuisance call protection...what is the best?  (Read 3731 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Nuisance call protection...what is the best?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »

https://www.comms-dealer.com/industry-news/talktalk-business-acquires-tipicall-and-disrupts-market-free-sip-offer

They do VoIP, just need to get hold of Guy Miller, Director of Next Generation Voice Services at TalkTalk Business.

Talktalk Business do indeed do VOIP. You don't need to get hold of anyone special to order it.
We were discussing Talktalk residential.

Talktalk residential only offer OpenReach FTTP as data only.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 06:55:22 AM »

No service provider can block calls reliably by blacklisting the only way is whitelisting via a call blocking system or phone such as described by @maxheadroom which only allows whitelisted numbers through without being interrogated.

Indeed.

I have a phone I got from BT which seemed to work quite well, its a BT 8600, any number not in the contact list has to leave a message after also a short wait it only then rings, I found places like my GP were happy enough to do that, and I went through a long period with no ringing from scammers.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »

I never get calls on my SIPgate lines at all, lol.  I'm really surprised they didn't terminate my accounts as I left them unused for years and only recently have them permanently logged in.

thanks for the replies everyone, im sure my dads had a look, I've mentioned the 'call-box' thing, and advised a whitelist - but (as mentioned) this would stop GP's, banks etc and any official business that withholds numbers, i NEVER answer withheld numbers myself - i go out on the basis if they have something to hide, then so do I - tata...

thanks

EDIT: I forgot to ask.. what is  SIPgate line?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »

Sipgate. VOIP provider https://www.sipgate.co.uk/

Basic and easy to setup. I have a single number here using a Cisco ATA box. Very simple
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »

If you want to stay with your current ISP you could buy a true call box see video below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224590202156?hash=item344a9e852c:g:URAAAOSw1f1hECsM

https://youtu.be/s7TtnfVLNFI

my dad is thinking of getting this, does it have any affect on yer internet, he is on 40/10 with plenty overheads

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 12:30:08 PM »

my dad is thinking of getting this, does it have any affect on yer internet, he is on 40/10 with plenty overheads

I honestly don't see how it would effect it its just a box between the master socket and phone, i am sure other members with much more knowledge will advise.

Have a look through the reviews here most are 5* so i don't think it can be a problem -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueCall-The-Nuisance-Call-Blocker-White-Silver/product-reviews/B002GP7HQM?reviewerType=all_reviews
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 12:36:41 PM by maxheadroom »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 06:10:54 PM »

ok guys n gals

I've talked them in into ridding his house phones unlimited calls for £9 a month, and Three's 3-2-1 mobile at £5 a month n i will find PAYG monthly sims for £10 or less that gives unlimited minutes- saves money, saves mess on, a single device

so now i gotta find deals after finding which network is best for his Area (indoors and outdoors + his home is built with stoned walls)

cos I've never gotten a dodgy cold call on my mobile, and as it runs an OS it isn't a one-trick pony, their TPS and apps for call nuisance, and whitelisst/blocklists directly on the fone

thanks guys
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:28:47 PM by snadge »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 01:26:18 AM »

cos I've never gotten a dodgy cold call on my mobile

I've had a fair few, but then I kept my mobile number since the dumb phone days so its had plenty of time to circulate in dodgy databases.

I will agree its far more common on the landline though.

Good job as I ended up removing truecaller from my mobile as it got very advert heavy and they seemed to be trying to turn it into some sort of social network, not what I originally installed it for.  Plus it never seemed to work properly since Android 10.

Not sure you can do call screening on Android now though, what an app is allowed to do seems to have been pulled back for security reasons and call recording seemed to be one of those things no longer exposed to apps.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:09 AM »

The TrueCall box does not access the internet.
It does sometimes "call home" (about 30 seconds) on the line to synchronise settings with the optional, and useful, web interface.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 05:55:05 AM »

...i NEVER answer withheld numbers myself - i go out on the basis if they have something to hide, then so do I...

IME over the last several years the only withheld calls are from the hospital, GP, dentist etc. All the scams and spam use a spoofed number.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »

I use a simple IVR menu on my phone number, with just one choice. The message basically tells them to press '1' if they aren't a cold caller or telemarketer, if they don't press '1' then they won't get through to me. However, this kind of setup would either require your own PBX server (e.g. FreePBX or something like it) or alternatively a service like Flextel. It's not something for novices to setup.

Truecall or BT's handsets with this kind of technology built-in I'd say are the best choices generally, especially for a novice.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything