Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: loss of service on FTTP product  (Read 1669 times)

dontasciime

loss of service on FTTP product
« on: August 27, 2021, 01:31:39 PM »

Is loss of service on an FTTP product at say 12AM or 1AM, 2AM maintenance ?

Are these profiled at all, DLM wise eg are there detrimental affects to losing service with measures enabled to break it further.

Is there a checker for this when you have no phone line to see faults or planned outages etc.

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:37:27 PM by dontasciime »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: loss of service on FTTP product
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »

I see you are using Zen DNS, so I assume you are on Zen FTTP?

That looks like maintenance though I cant find it on Zen's maintenance page: https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/

dontasciime

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 05:03:41 PM »

Zen via OR yeah and I couldn't find it listed either but I was unsure If I was missing  the obvious or even looking at the relevant page for FTTP eg I wondered if there was  a different page to the normal status I had been using when I had my phoneline and 80/20 FTTC product.

Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:08:15 PM by dontasciime »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »

Are these profiled at all, DLM wise eg are there detrimental affects to losing service with measures enabled to break it further.

There is no DLM on an FTTP service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »

I don’t think the Status pages reflect FTTP issues
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

dontasciime

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »

There is no DLM on an FTTP service.

I assumed that and hoped that was the case with this product couldn't  see how it could be a thing but checking something else wasn't in place which could intervene or rather butt in as DLM on my copper run was the bane of my FTTC which in 2012 was a full 104,000 or thereabouts at cabinet [no one else on it]  of which i got basically the  full 80 of the product but in 2021 I was getting anything from 47Mbps to 53 and it was killing me that I couldn't get anything done to rectify that faultwise etc
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 07:26:05 PM by dontasciime »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »

. . . my FTTC which in 2012 was a full 104,000 or thereabouts at cabinet [no one else on it]  of which i got basically the  full 80 of the product but in 2021 I was getting anything from 47Mbps to 53 . . .

<Nods.> As other persons took up an FTTC service, so cross-talk affected your circuit. To mitigate that interference, the DLM process would have intervened. Unfortunately that intervention would have reduced the synchronisation speed and, thus, throughput speed. As such there would be no fault to rectify.  :(

Any xDSL based service is only a "best effort", constrained by cost.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 11:13:56 PM »

I assumed that and hoped that was the case with this product couldn't  see how it could be a thing but checking something else wasn't in place which could intervene or rather butt in as DLM on my copper run was the bane of my FTTC which in 2012 was a full 104,000 or thereabouts at cabinet [no one else on it]  of which i got basically the  full 80 of the product but in 2021 I was getting anything from 47Mbps to 53 and it was killing me that I couldn't get anything done to rectify that faultwise etc

Yeah the beauty going forward with FTTP is that its either in spec, or its not.  No arguing over if its a fault or not, its either working correctly, or its not.

Of course that can't prevent maintenance or ISP issues, but if its working at all its almost certainly not an issue between you and the exchange.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dontasciime

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 06:07:49 PM »

A thing I've noticed though, funny really is since getting this 900 service I've never seen so many buffering messages/ stutters/glitches etc. Youtube stutters and bar barely gets a head of itself to start with  and just now on amazon prime watching the tennis

a quick btspeedtest indicates 17ms ping 785Mbps / 113Mbps

Pinging bbc.com [xxxxxxx] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a04:4e42:400::81: time=15ms
Reply from 2a04:4e42:400::81: time=16ms

Ping statistics for xxxxxx
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

C:\Users\ascii>

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 06:18:40 PM by dontasciime »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 10:52:54 PM »

YouTube has been getting progressively worse for me over the last few months.  I've found videos that wont start, checked with youtube-dl and the servers report 404 not found or even 500 access denied.  Or they will randomly load at 50K/s which essential is unusable.  That's across any of the four ISPs and AirVPNs endpoints too.  Sometimes the VPN will work where direct wont, things have just been really weird whenever viewing a video not on a major channel.

Can't comment on Prime though, haven't watched anything on there in months.

Also, looks like you're using IPv6, were you using that before?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »

YouTube has been getting progressively worse for me over the last few months. ...

YouTube is still perfectly usable here (on FTTC), but it's definitely changed over the last few months. A lot of videos take a good few seconds before they start, which never used to be the case. Also my ad blocker no longer blocks ads at the start of videos, which is a bit irritating. I suppose I shouldn't really complain about that as it is adverts that keep YouTube working.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »

YouTube is still perfectly usable here (on FTTC), but it's definitely changed over the last few months. A lot of videos take a good few seconds before they start, which never used to be the case. Also my ad blocker no longer blocks ads at the start of videos, which is a bit irritating. I suppose I shouldn't really complain about that as it is adverts that keep YouTube working.

That's the thing, based on my testing those "good few seconds" are because its failing to find the video stream so its trying different servers before it FINALLY finds it.  There are videos where ONLY the H264 codec is available but it tries to stream VP8/9 so fails.

On Linux especially there's been an increasing problem for years now where it says only 480p is available but if I use 4kdownloader or youtube-dl there is in fact HD versions the browser site is not offering.  Never seems to happen with big channels, only random user uploads.  Its like the system is deliberately trying to stop me watching user generated content in favour of big corporate channels instead.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »

Is loss of service on an FTTP product at say 12AM or 1AM, 2AM maintenance ?

Most likely backhaul maintenance.  BTw backhaul maintenance will commonly start bang on 1am.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »

On Linux especially there's been an increasing problem for years now where it says only 480p is available but if I use 4kdownloader or youtube-dl there is in fact HD versions the browser site is not offering.  Never seems to happen with big channels, only random user uploads.  Its like the system is deliberately trying to stop me watching user generated content in favour of big corporate channels instead.

That's interesting as I've not seen that happening on either my Windows or Linux PCs. I occasionally get dumped to a 480p stream on both, but 1080p etc is still available to select from the video options.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 03:42:45 PM »

That's interesting as I've not seen that happening on either my Windows or Linux PCs. I occasionally get dumped to a 480p stream on both, but 1080p etc is still available to select from the video options.

It could be more specific in that it only impacts Firefox and perhaps mostly when logged out.  Would not surprise me if they deliberately make Chrome work better.

I watch a fair bit of YouTube logged out so I don't have to constantly clear out my watch history to avoid it changing my recommendations.
Pages: [1] 2

anything