Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 slow speeds compared to ISP modem  (Read 2430 times)

Vertron

HG612 slow speeds compared to ISP modem
« on: August 25, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »

I recently bought a HG612 modem and flashed the latest firmware on it. For some reason the download speed tops out at 41.5mbps and 14.5mpbs upload. My ISP modem/router topped out at over 52mbps download and 18.5mbps upload.

Any idea why I'm getting worse speeds using this modem? I'm tempted to go back and just use my ISP router as a modem and have double NAT over these slower speeds.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:39:55 PM by Vertron »

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 slow speeds compared to ISP modem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 08:05:23 PM »

Try resetting the hg612 to factory settings, a quick Google will show you how

Vertron

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 08:13:18 PM »

I factory reset it when I first upgraded the firmware a couple days ago. It's worth a try though so will give it a go. Won't be able to attempt that for a couple days though unfortunately.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 01:23:25 AM »

It could be your cabinet is ECI, the HG612 syncs significantly lower for me on the ECI cabinet too which is why I switched to the ECI modem and a Home Hub 5 flashed with OpenWRT (I have two lines).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 02:33:08 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 02:02:55 AM »

Post the output of the 'info --stats' command and it might be obvious why.
Also what ISP device are you comparing it with?
Some are better than others.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Vertron

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 07:11:20 AM »

Thanks Alex, that could explain it.

Ok John I will when I have some time. I'm comparing it to the EE smart hub which I believe is the same one that BT provides.

Here is an image from Google maps street view of the only cabinet near my house which I most likely use: https://ibb.co/wC48zz5
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:41:04 AM by Vertron »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 10:52:41 AM »

The latest EE/BT hubs have a very modern, high syncing Broadcom chipset.
The HG612 has a much older Broadcom chipset.

The cabinet you have linked is indeed an ECI cabinet but that isn't necessarily the reason you are syncing low with the HG612.
The EE/BT Hub will likely outperform a HG612 on any cabinet.

Every line is different and there is no hard and fast rule that "modem x sync better on cabinet y".

Some people insist that you need to match the modem chipset to the cabinet chipset.
The ECI cabinets have a Lantiq chipset while the Huawei cabinets have a Broadcom chipset.

I found the HG612 performed very well on my ECI cabinet.
I switched to a newer/better Broadcom chipset though and the sync improved quite a bit.

The HG612 is very unlikely to sync higher than the EE/BT Hub though as the EE/BT hubs have a BCM63138 chipset which is Broadcoms newest, premium/flagship chipset.

As above, every line is different and has its own unique characteristics.
There are users on this forum who still use an HG612 and swear by their performance.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Vertron

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »

Thanks for that info John, that's very helpful.

As the EE smart hub is using the latest Broadcom chip, I think I will go back to using that as my modem.

I've read more about double NAT and don't think it's as bad as I first thought, especially if I put the 2nd router in the DMZ.

Vertron

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 02:21:06 PM »

I've put my EE smart hub back as my modem again but I'm still getting the slower download/upload speeds for some reason? Does it take a few days for it to get back to normal after changing modems, or do I need to give EE a ring?

neilius

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »

Try disabling QoS in the HG612's web interface (screenshot attached showing where to find it).

I keep it on as I notice better latency/ping times when maxing out my upload. I'd rather take the 1-2mb/sec speed hit. :)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »

Each time you resync by changing the modem it will be a different sync rate depending on the SNRM at the time of the resync. It won’t change on its own and I doubt EE can do anything as there is likely no fault. Also don’t keep resyncing or the line will be viewed unstable and the DLM will apply correction and likely reduce sync more !
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Vertron

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 04:01:35 PM »

Thanks neilius, I already did that and got a couple mb more out of the upload speed, still slower than what I had before though.

Interesting g3uiss because now I think about it, I'm pretty sure I got full speed from the HG612 when I first initially set it up to test if it works, I then went back to double NAT while configuring the new router. Only got the lower speed after rewiring everything to set it up to permanently use the new modem, had some issues and it may have got reconnected a few times, perhaps DLM kicked in then and there is actually nothing wrong with my HG612? I'll keep an eye on it and see if goes back up to the higher speed.

If DLM is the cause, do you think a higher performing Broadcom chip with double NAT is worth it over a much older Broadcom chip and single NAT?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:23:15 PM by Vertron »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »

@vertron Although there has been a request to post your full modem stats you do not appear to have done so. Without this information it is difficult to offer any advice on how your line is performing. The stats may show if your line is banded which could be the case if the EE router is now giving lower speeds.. You need to check the line stats whenever you change anything so you have some idea of what is going on.

I don't believe a newer Broadcom modem chip will help you much if at all, and it is always best to avoid double NAT if you can.

Vertron

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 11:09:53 PM »

Thanks RealAleMadrid, please see my stats:
https://ibb.co/TwpXzmq
https://ibb.co/YbHpxrN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:16:59 PM by Vertron »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2021, 11:31:07 PM »

Hmm, well looking at that sync rate it could be banded, but the SNRm is also where I'd expect it to be if running at maximum sync.

Did we determine what type of cabinet you were connected to?  As it would now make more sense if it was Huawei and your frequent resyncs have caused DLM to raised your margin from 3dB to 6dB, thus the reduction in sync rate.

Really at this point you just need to leave it alone, avoid resyncing as any more will risk your connection being adjusted even slower.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2