Computer Software > Windows 10

Windows 10 reactivation

(1/3) > >>

grahamb:
I'm about to replace bits and pieces in my pc with more up to date bits and pieces; ie, new motherboard, cpu, ram and m.2 ssd.
My W10 digital license on my current build is linked to my Ms account so my question is: will I be able to do a clean install from the W10 disc I bought for my current pc on to the new ssd and then reactivate it through my account? Or will I have to clone my current boot ssd to make this work? The misgiving I have with doing that is things won't work properly as the drivers on the c: drive will be all am3+ related and I'm moving to am4 pcie4.0. Unless windows auto-updates all the drivers for me?  :shrug2:

Anyway, thoughts please.

:)

tubaman:
Changing all of those parts effectively makes it a new PC, so it certainly won't license on a clean build and I think you'll find it'll deactivate after a while if you clone the disk.
You could try telling Microsoft something like "the power supply blew up and took out everything else", but whether that'll wash I don't know.

g3uiss:
They are generally quite good. If you use the automated system and confirm it’s on one PC you should be fine if you have a product key ?

tubaman:

--- Quote from: g3uiss on August 23, 2021, 12:53:34 PM ---They are generally quite good. If you use the automated system and confirm it’s on one PC you should be fine if you have a product key ?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've just realised the existing license is linked to a Microsoft account (not the hardware), so as long as you have a product key it should be ok.

jelv:
Does it help in such situations if you change one thing at a time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version