Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding a 4TB Disk to Windows 10  (Read 4935 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Adding a 4TB Disk to Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »

I really think you need to get this sorted by a partition program. There will be no uncertainty using that method and you will see all the drives.
You're probably correct, if only it was that easy to run something.  I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to get Gparted to work, and I'm not keen on anything that needs to be installed in Windows first, I'd rather find one where I can just download a bootable image.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »

Disk Genius portable can also can be run on usb stick https://www.diskgenius.com/download.php so no installation required.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 11:42:01 AM »

@parkdale that’s a good recommendation as well.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »

Disk Genius portable can also can be run on usb stick https://www.diskgenius.com/download.php so no installation required.

That did the trick! From normal Windows Disk Genius didn't see the drive at all.  However when I booted from the 4TB, Disk Genius could see the disk, which I suppose isn't surprising.  And it was set to MBR, so I converted to GPT.  Back to my real Windows boot I could delete the partitions and format it as a single volume.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Next thing would be to make a bootable USB Disk Genus so I have that ready for next time.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 03:39:41 PM »

I have a nasty feeling there is something about which mode the disk or disk controller is set to when Windows is first installed, and a vague memory that this can't be changed without complete reinstallation.
Depending exactly what that is you can often change things in safe mode.
As an example I had a system that was configured as RAID despite being a single drive. To change it to "normal" I had to go via safe mode, changing the BIOS settings at the appropriate time. Safe mode then boots and loads the correct drivers for a subsequent normal boot.

Odd that Windows didn't see the disk initially and allow you to initialise it, but once it was initialised by another tool as GPT it did.  ???
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:59:55 PM by HPsauce »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 04:53:00 PM »

Glad it's all fixed  :)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 05:09:29 PM »

Great glad it worked out
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 10:08:39 PM »

So another thing to add to the list of "stupid things Microsoft has done".

Makes absolutely no sense to not list a drive partitioned as MBR when all you want to do is format it to GPT.

In fact, I just plugged my PS5 formatted SSD into my Win11 box and firing up Disk Management popped up a window saying "you must initialise this disk" and gives me the choice of MBR or GPT.  ::)
So a USB to SATA adapter would also have solved this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:12:43 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2022, 10:58:12 AM »

That's what mystifies me somewhat, the option to initialise should have appeared at the start irrespective of how it was connected, maybe there was something unusual about the disk initially?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

That's what mystifies me somewhat, the option to initialise should have appeared at the start irrespective of how it was connected, maybe there was something unusual about the disk initially?
The disk was brand new, and when I installed Windows onto it there was no issue or extra step needed, just completely normal. Once I'd done that I also can't understand why it didn't then appear in my production Windows, albeit as a 2TB partition.

This reminds me, I just used Disk Genius again for a completely different requirement - completely wiping partitions off a disk repurposed from an OEM installation, which had partitioning that Windows Disk Management wouldn't remove. I need to try the bootable USB version when I get a chance.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »

I did rearrange my partitions to a more convenient layout  :) had to get rid of Windows 7 and 8 recovery partitions.
These get placed at the front of the drive in Win 7, and the back in Win 8, Windows 10+11 will create new ones! making the others redundant, also my MSR was near the back, and I like it at the front, MSR is a real pain to move normally but DG portable did the job!

I do make a image using Macrium Reflect before, and you could just do the same with this... just drag an drop partitions in the order that you would like them, from the image onto a clean disk.
Then use fix boot command in MR to get things working again (Rescue Media you make after MR installation).

Moving/copying partitions is AYOR always make an Disk Image 1st :thumbs:
Pages: 1 [2]