Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IPv6  (Read 3091 times)

DANNYG

• Gaming till the end.
IPv6
« on: August 22, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »

Does anybody have any info on ipv6 like some kind of time frame UK isp are looking to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aor29pGhlFE
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:40:10 PM by DANNYG »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: IPv6
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:22:35 PM »

Some already do, some don't.  There is no target I'm aware of that we could guesstimate they would all be using it by.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 11:30:33 PM »

Quite a few use it, more are planning to, and having it or not doesn't really matter yet.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:41:20 PM »

Andrews and Arnold have been providing IPv6 for about 10 years!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

DANNYG

• Gaming till the end.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 12:06:27 AM »

Quite a few use it, more are planning to, and having it or not doesn't really matter yet.
So there is no real benefit for us in the UK at the moment?
I've seen some info about ipv6 being put into ipv4 packets.
The reason i ask about ipv6 is i play Xbox and i8t reliable askes for it.
So if playing in ipv6 enables country's would have an edge over me?
Not to mention i don't have fibre to the property.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 12:13:34 AM »

I dread the day we HAVE to use it, there doesn't seem to be the same tools available to monitor per client bandwidth etc in pfSense if you are using IPv6.  Plus my previous issues where the Xbox would get a different IP every time it was rebooted so I couldn't blanket ban incoming connections or even identify it WAS the Xbox receiving that traffic.  I suppose I could create a second LAN and stick it on a VLAN with IPv4 and IPv6, but is it really worth it when everything works fine as it is?  I will probably revisit once I get FTTP so don't have Multi-WAN to worry about.

I get the idea of firewalling clients, but I'd much rather firewall clients AND policy route, so there is zero chance of someone getting into a closed-sourced box from the outside.  Sure I could put iffy clients on a vlan, but not if those clients also need standard IPv4 LAN access too due to the common use of broadcast traffic for their apps.

Example, I can't us the Android app for my surround receiver if I'm on the Honor Router 3 as even in Access Point mode it seems to block broadcast traffic, it wont SEE the receiver.

We seem to be in a stalemate where many consumer devices don't support IPv6 properly because home users don't use IPv6, and the fact the reason we can't use IPv6 is BECAUSE the devices don't like it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:16:04 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:18:25 AM »

So there is no real benefit for us in the UK at the moment?
I've seen some info about ipv6 being put into ipv4 packets.
The reason i ask about ipv6 is i play Xbox and i8t reliable askes for it.
So if playing in ipv6 enables country's would have an edge over me?
Not to mention i don't have fibre to the property.

I honestly don't understand how Xbox works with IPv6.  They originally said Xbox Live on Xbox One forwards would be IPv6, but if I put it on a network with ONLY IPv6, it doesn't work.  It seems to still need IPv4 to function with defeats the object to me.

As far as I can tell, Xbox just use an IPv6 Turedo tunnel for anything it needs IPv6 for, no need to have native support on your ISP at all.

DANNYG

• Gaming till the end.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »

It is strange as a couple of times its show me a ipv6 number even though TalkTalk does not support it from my property.
It confuses me  :lol:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:02:55 AM »

It confuses me  :lol:

And me!  :)  (I'm waiting for the release of IPv8 (IPv6 with all its confusion removed) so that all of us who know our way around IPv4 will feel confident enough to use it.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 02:13:45 AM »

I'll stick with denying everything inbound that doesn't have an existing connection state and allowing UPnP IGDP.

This is, after all, how such things were intended to work with IPv6.

Kit should have an option available or a module downloadable.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 10:32:29 AM »

When the CP I work for was RIPE Accredited, we were allocated an ipv6 allocation, alongside our ipv4.
That was 8 years ago, the IPv6 addresses have never been used.  :lol:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:27 AM »

What CarlT said.

I’ve been using IPv6 for 11 years. It just works.

@DannyG If you have IPv6 you will typically have several IPv6 addresses per machine (and per interface, more correctly). You may well have a LAN-Local IPv6 address which can be used even if you don’t have an IPv6 ISP, and which can be used to talk to other machines on your LAN. One of the reasons why IPv6 is much more reliable than IPv4 at startup time, even without IPv4 DHCPV4, IPv6 still just works and always starts up. You can also optionally have IPv6 addresses that are derived from your MAC address (they include/contain the MAC48 address in a modified form), and they are always known and are always unique, so very reliable. If you have an IPv6 ISP your operating system will make a choice of what kind of addresses it wants to use globally across the internet and these will be used alongside the other kinds of addresses mentioned earlier, horses for courses.

I sympathise with Alex about tools and monitoring. Operating systems have made things very difficult because of a number of well-intentioned privacy initiatives. Apple iOS has made things so difficult in this regard for us sysadmins, although good for the users.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 03:57:45 AM »

Its the fact DHCPv6 worked great for my setup, except the Xbox which changes its UUID on reboot.  Then there is the fact DHCPv6 support is not mandatory for clients, so you can end up with clients that will only use broadcasts and otherwise not get an IP assigned at all.

If you're going to have multiple methods to issue IP address at LEAST have the sense to make them ALL mandatory on clients so a sysadmin can choose the one most suitable for their network.

The way they've done it seems far less secure than it could be if it means its easier for there to be a rogue client on my network because I don't have a central place where I can see all IP addresses assigned and have some idea what device they refer to.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 05:57:23 AM »

There is all kinds of kit out there, corporate kit even, which doesn’t work properly as a system in an IPv6-only network. This is due to lack of testing; the software was only tested in a 6+4 setup. As was mentioned by the speaker from Microsoft at a talk about their corporate network’s implementation of IPv6-only. Microsoft like all corporates are doing IPv6 is because it saves them money, over $10 per machine, because IPv4 addresses are very expensive to buy in quantity.

[[Why does my iPad keep autocorrecting something to "inky testes" - too much ill-judged libation at the Xerox PARC xmas party? The first word is "only", can’t remember what the candidate second word might be? ]]

@Alex can one set up an IPv6 static address on an Xbox?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:06:48 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »

@Alex can one set up an IPv6 static address on an Xbox?

Sadly not, you cannot manually set the IPv6 address on Xbox, at least the last time I checked.
Pages: [1] 2

anything