Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: O2 Box II / ST 585v7 Restting all the time  (Read 12787 times)

moosehound

• Just arrived
O2 Box II / ST 585v7 Restting all the time
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:54:16 PM »

HI all,

I have replaced my linksys WAG354G with the standard issue O2 router.  My o2 Box II keeps randomly resetting itself. It worked like a trooper for about 24 hours. Then last night the wireless dropped and then the whole router reset itself. Seemed odd but I ignored it and it worked ok for the next few hours.

Now using it this morning and it is dropping out like crazy, was unable to keep a connection up long enough to check the email at one point this morn.

So, is this a known fault with these - I have ready about the I-Player issue. I know my line might not be described at the most stable but this seems crazy - I think it works out that the down stream is 6/54

Is it worth just slapping my Linksys back in?  On initial tests I was getting about 6 MB outta the O2 box but only about 5Mb outta the Linksys... but if it stays up it's more useful :)

Also, meant to say am on ADSL2+ on an O2 LLU exchange :)

Cheers

Moose

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: O2 Box II / ST 585v7 Restting all the time
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

I'm quite sure that isn't a general problem with the ST585v7. It's possible that your router is faulty, but I think it's more likely that your line has developed a fault. You could put the Linksys back again and see if you get the same instability. If you do, then these pages may help you to diagnose the problem.

If I'm wrong, and the connection is stable with the Linksys, then I think I would suspect a faulty router and see if O2 will change it.
  Eric

moosehound

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »

OK, thanks for that - just had an email from O2 saying they had completed testing on my line and I was on the correct package.

Line starts are :-
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 9:13:08

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,101 / 5,518

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 53.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 8.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1/ 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 250 / 47,411

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 250 / 147

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 437 / 118

There seems like a lot of FEC errors on download...  Also those Lose of Frame and Signal -  are these normal as my old Linksys did not display these stats...

cheers moose

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:11:42 AM »

The FEC errors are not particularly important, because they are errors which are autocorrected as a result of interleaving being applied. The CRC and HEC errors do indicate that the connection is less than perfect, but their level isn't seriously high.

As your stats show an uptime of 9 hours it looks as the earlier instability problems have gone away for the moment. If they return you should check to see if there's any audible crackling on the line, which would definitely be reportable as a line fault. Otherwise, your connection isn't doing badly for your level of attenuation.
  Eric

moosehound

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »

OK, thanks for your advice.  It seems to be resetting less now, it reset not long after I took that reading and had been running for 10 hrs when I left home this morn - so nothing too drastic :)

thanks,

Moose

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Is the router somewhere well ventilated? I have a ST585v6 and have had to prop it up at an angle, otherwise it seems to get too hot and Internet throughput just stops. Might be worth considering?
Chris

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »

I have the same problem with this router (labelled as a BeBox but it's the same thing with different firmware AFAIK) on Be - It seems  to be overheating in my case, if you look on the underside of the router you can see the vents are located here.

Turning the router upside down (or on it's side) and/or pointing a fan at it worked a treat for me.

Rgds

Havelock

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

yep same here, my ST lives its life upside down.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

delboy123

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

my o2 box was fast but it always dropped the connection and the wireless in it would pack in like ten times a day, i falshed a bt home hub with speedtouch firmwar and although my connection is quite a bit slower its more stable. I think the o2 boxes aren't very good

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »

its the firmware on the version 7's

There is a new firmware being released by Thomson that should stop the reboots. I'll let you know when i have more information.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

planetf1

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »

its the firmware on the version 7's

There is a new firmware being released by Thomson that should stop the reboots. I'll let you know when i have more information.

Hi -- do you happen to have any news/details on this. It's driving me somewhat bonkers on the O2 Box II.
I do still have the O2 780WL so I may resurrect that on the v6 firmware.
I did note the QOS config was quite different, but hopefully I can merge my user.ini's sensibly and there isn't too much that is new in v7...

I also have a dg834gt but no QOS (I use audio, video streaming, and VoIP, have multiple games consoles the kids use with bulk downloads, and meanwhile also have real work to do with interactive x/ssh apps so I think it would be noticeable...)

planetf1

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

Azzaka - do you happen to have any news on Thomson fw fixes?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »

planet

Can you confirm is the router physically locking up and/or dropping the connection?
From a conversation Ive seen with a Thompson rep elsewhere, they suspect that uPnP may have something to do with this and suggest ensuring that UPnP is turned off in the router.

The other thing thought that also occurs is that the f/w release mentioned will be a standard firmware..  and wont be auto set up for the likes of Be/02 which requires a different configuration.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

planetf1

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »

Can you confirm is the router physically locking up and/or dropping the connection?
Mostly it's effectively a router reboot. Not only does the connection cycle, but also the uptime of the router is reset (I track my stats with mrtg and record this info). I believe I've also seen warm restart errors in the system log (must check next time)
Connection drops are (sadly) more normal (long line, noise sources)
From a conversation Ive seen with a Thompson rep elsewhere, they suspect that uPnP may have something to do with this and suggest ensuring that UPnP is turned off in the router.
I'd heard uPNP & wireless & bittorrent were 3 theories. uPNP is enabled. With 11 wireless devices in the house, and most of these using audio/video streaming or gaming, lack of uPNP is just not an option. I also have music/video on a NAS and stream using DNLA and DAAP.

What I did do was to try some minor reconfig, such as switching ssdp max-age from 1800 down to 600.

I also banished bittorrent and closely tracked max tcp/udp connections (limit is 2048 on this router)

And I enabled connection probes
The other thing thought that also occurs is that the f/w release mentioned will be a standard firmware..  and wont be auto set up for the likes of Be/02 which requires a different configuration.
Sure -- and I am using O2 firmware -- but at least that would give 2 more reasonable options
1. consider buying a unbranded router
2. Hassle ISP (O2) for a fix

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, but looks like there's no clear answer yet.

I have toyed with the idea of enabling some of the traces (hey thomson -- tell me which ones & maybe I can catch you data), but without persistent storage and data just before the hang would likely be lost (presumably) + there's an issue with deciding what to enable. This is where the provider needs to help (I work in sw engineer & have worked with telecom systems).

planetf1

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »

For me, disabling wireless appears to have done the trick - see http://cherrybyte.blogspot.com/2009/03/thomson-speedtouch-585v7-rebooting-turn.html

Not a great "fix" of course, so if anyone else is getting this suggest you report to O2 so we can get a proper fix.
Pages: [1] 2

anything