Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mains power cleaner-upper...  (Read 1932 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
Mains power cleaner-upper...
« on: August 23, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »

Meanwhile, now that I've replaced my Sony AV receiver with my much older Rotel amp (and other gubbins to turn digital in into analogue out), every time my fridge motor turns on/off, I get a "pop" from my B&W speakers. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably-priced (we're talking less than 50 quid, hopefully) mains power whatever-they're-called to stop the pop?

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Mains power cleaner-upper...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »

something like this ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Conditioner-Frequency-Interference-Filter/dp/B000PS5700/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420833110&sr=8-1&keywords=power+conditioner

i'm guessing the term for what you need is "isolation transformer", and you are wanting to isolate the amp/speakers and not the fridge.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »

Thanks for that. I've found it for a tenner less here. So an extra £5 off for signing up to their newsletter, plus a bit of postage makes, er... I'll let you know when the voucher comes through.  ;)

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. £5 off if you spend over £50, so as there was nothing else I wanted from that site, I went back to Amazon and bought the newer version of what you directed me to. Thanks again, Chenks.  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 02:51:58 PM by grahamb »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 03:51:24 AM »

I have my Sony AV receiver on one of those.  Not convinced it makes a blind bit of difference but I figured better safe than sorry with a fridge and air conditioner on the same circuit.

The monitor on my Mac Mini sometimes flicks off when the fridge turns off, but then it sometimes does that for no obvious reason too, a known issue with the M1 Mac Mini over HDMI.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything