Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP: Green numbers painted on duct covers?  (Read 2961 times)

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP: Green numbers painted on duct covers?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »

Just had a quick glance at this - the only PON's built thus far off your Exchange are 'new sites' or 'retro new-sites'.

The duct and joint-boxes around that particular area you mention, are for the most part just on one side of the pavements. There's a few that do have more on the other side, such as Nortenham, Haylea and the bottom end of Cornfields.

As for the markings, I'm none the wiser. I mentioned PIA on my first reply to you on this thread and I'm guessing this is what it may be - easy, quick wins for any communications provider. Is there no way of checking with your local Council to get a definite answer ??

Thank you for all the additional information.

This morning's walk has taken a rather odd route as I've covered the locations of the 7 cabs that were installed by BDUK/Fastershire in Spring 2014 to cover the parts of the village that had no Virgin media coverage (which was, at that time installed by Telewest in the late 80s or very early 90s at a guess). Some of the large developments in the village in the last few years had Virgin media put in by the developer at time of construction and another large development has had BT FTTP installed (now verified with an address check) when they were built.

In the many streets around these 7 cabs that I have checked there are green sequential numbers on top of the BT covers in the street. The 5 cabs on one side of the A435 start from 100 and those on the other side start from 200.

I can find no evidence of any numbers anywhere else from the random selection that I have made.

So, from all of this so far possibles might be:

1) Virgin media looking to expand their footprint - there's nothing about this on their 'coming soon' listings on their website though
2) A 'quick win' from another provider (Gigaclear have done some work in the smaller hamlets about 5 miles away and IIRC they took over the local BDUK from Openreach - there is nothing on Gigaclear's website or the Fastershire website or social media feed for additional developments in the postcodes covered by the 7 cabs)
3) Openreach FTTP - looking unlikely if Black Sheep can't see any evidence for it - but it might be the easiest place for them to start as they have Fibre in place to these 7 cabs. The exchange was listed on the May 2021 pdf as an area that was in the rollout plan and this could be very preliminary work

I think I've missed the opportunity to see the 'lifters/painters' in action as I think I caught the tail end of the work at the end of last week as all the painted covers round by me are at the end of the numbering sequence that I've seen (i.e. in the 230s). There's nothing I can see around the location of any of the cabs for work about to commence on one.network and the planning applications that I saw up today where for the usual tree chopping and conservatory erection.

If anything else turns up I'll update the thread as other people might find this useful in the future.

** edit ** - I've just remembered that there are a couple of cul de sacs not far from here that have all of the Telewest/Virgin street furniture that was put in when the houses were build in 1997 (cabinets and pavement chambers marked CATV) where there isn't actually any cable infrastructure installed (I found this out when we were looking to buy a house on one of the streets) - I'll check tomorrow to see if there are any green numbers on the BT covers there as they are served from the FTTC cabinet that is pictured in an earlier post - that might help to narrow down/promote some of the potential items above
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:57:24 AM by spudgun »

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »

I've now had the opportunity to check out the street that is served by a FTTC cabinet, but also has Telewest/Virgin street furniture (but no cable infrastructure inside as it was never finished) and that has the same green markings on the BT covers - see picture. The 10/12 on the markings seems to be that this is the point at which the street branches off into a cul-de-sac and the green numbers 11 and 12 are in the cul-de-sac.

I think I can rule out the Virgin media expansion, so it is just a matter of waiting and seeing who turns up to act upon the markings that have been left.

I will update this as/when anything happens just in case anyone else sees something similar in their area at some point in the future.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 09:49:52 PM »

@spudgun you do know that BT FTTP Does Not Come From a Cabinet !  :-\ ,
 It comes from a FTTP Headend exchange, our is not our local one 3 miles away but one 12 miles away in the next city .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »

@spudgun you do know that BT FTTP Does Not Come From a Cabinet !  :-\ ,
 It comes from a FTTP Headend exchange, our is not our local one 3 miles away but one 12 miles away in the next city .

While true, the aggregation node is often close to a FTTC cabinet, as that's where the fibre links back to the exchange, so it can be relevant in determining where the fibre needs to go.

BS has already confirmed my agg is in the chamber directly next to my cabinet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 02:00:54 PM »

While true, the aggregation node is often close to a FTTC cabinet, as that's where the fibre links back to the exchange, so it can be relevant in determining where the fibre needs to go.

BS has already confirmed my agg is in the chamber directly next to my cabinet.

Thank you both for your input :-)

My apologies if I wasn't totally clear, but I am aware that FTTP doesn't directly come from the local cabinet, and as Alex notes above, the FTTC cabinets give an idea of where fibre is currently 'in the ground' and the nodes that will be built out from when FTTP comes.

Other than that, there is nothing to report. The contractors who were lifting the BT covers, using blue cords and leaving a notation on the BT covers have definitely only done this in the streets that are covered by the FTTC cabinets as I walked the dog down another bunch of streets today and have seen nothing. Hopefully some other contractors will turn up when I am around to notice them and I can obtain some more information

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 04:03:09 PM by spudgun »

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »

Some 6 weeks on from this, I can now present an end to the mystery of the green covers on the duct covers!

Came home from work today and there were several vans marked with Map Group Plc on (http://www.mapgroupuk.com/) in the area - I've had a chat with the very friendly people in the vans and they have been subcontracted by Virgin Media to expand their network in this area and are currently in the process of getting fibre into the ducts that BT/Openreach have already got in place for their copper cables.

The contractors also said that the work was complete in all the other areas and my area was the last one to do. I live on one of the streets where only the duct covers on one side of the street have green numbers on, so I'm not sure if I will be able to get these services, but I will see how this works out in the coming weeks and months.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:24 PM »

Thank you for the feedback.

As mentioned in my reply to you at the top of OP, it's our friend PIA (Pain In the Arse) in all its glory. Not a big fan of this agreement, for selfish reasons, but totally understand why it's in place.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything