Broadband Related > FTTP Rollout

FTTP: Green numbers painted on duct covers?

(1/5) > >>

spudgun:
Good afternoon everyone,

I live in an area that has appeared on the published Openreach information as being part of the FTTP rollout.

Over the last week or so a contractor (sadly, just a plain white van with no logo) has been opening the BT branded duct covers round by me and inserting blue or orange cord into them. They have also been leaving numbers in green pain on some of the duct covers (e.g. 234, 128) that don't seem to fit into any pattern that I can make sense of.

They did part of the road that I live on today and I was going to ask them when they were at the duct that is right outside my house, but they only did one side of the street and then cleared off.

Any of those 'in the know' that have any idea what this was all about, what the painted numbers might mean and why they didn't do all of the ducts?

Many thanks in advance

Black Sheep:
Hardly anything to go on here at all, so can only ever be guess-work/speculation ??

OR contractors are usually liveried, but it's not unknown for a replacement unliveried vehicle to be used whilst the other van is undergoing maintenance, etc.

Conversely, it could be an Alt-Net taking advantage of the PIA offerings ??

tiffy:
When my local area was "fibred" earlier this year by OR sub-contractors, all UG distribution, the footway chamber markings appeared to be a reference to the installed CBT (if that's the correct terminology) number of ports and the number of properties fed from the chamber.
In my case "X4/4" where a 4 port CBT was fitted and 4 properties would be fed from this chamber.

Possibly not a standard but peculiar to the OR sub-contractors in question, in my area, KN Circet?

Strangely enough my CBT is still "virginal", I'am waiting until end of FTTC contract with ZEN in December and my 3 neighbours are happy with their existing ADSL/VDSL service and reluctant to have their front gardens "ploughed" for fibre access, existing POTS cables are DIG.

spudgun:

--- Quote from: Black Sheep on August 20, 2021, 07:43:59 PM ---Hardly anything to go on here at all, so can only ever be guess-work/speculation ??

OR contractors are usually liveried, but it's not unknown for a replacement unliveried vehicle to be used whilst the other van is undergoing maintenance, etc.

Conversely, it could be an Alt-Net taking advantage of the PIA offerings ??

--- End quote ---

Thank you for having a go at the slim trail of breadcrumbs that I have to follow - i'll keep my eyes peeled locally to see if/when they appear to be working in the area next to see if I can get more details of who they are and what they are up to :)

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: spudgun on August 20, 2021, 11:00:19 PM ---Thank you for having a go at the slim trail of breadcrumbs that I have to follow - i'll keep my eyes peeled locally to see if/when they appear to be working in the area next to see if I can get more details of who they are and what they are up to :)

--- End quote ---

Please do, and if you get any piccies to post up, we may be able to make some kind of sense of their 'code'.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version