Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extending Fritzbox network  (Read 1118 times)

crdrummond

Extending Fritzbox network
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:33:01 PM »

Hi all - I have a main Fritzbox 7530, and a FritzRepeater 3000. I have a building at the end of the garden which is outside of the wifi range, but we have run a cat 6 cable from the back of the house to the garden. I was hoping to hardwire the 2 boosters together to extend the wifi/mesh down to the garden building, however when I connected them via LAN, nothing happened. Going to the user manual, there only appears to be the option to hardwire a box to a repeater and not a repeater to another repeater. Is this correct?
If this is true, please can someone explain what I need to do to extend the wifi down the end of the garden?
I do not have the option to hardwire to the main Fritzbox 7530, as it is in the wrong place in the house. Do I need another Fritzbox where the repeater is and some other configuration? Or something else?
Thank you

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Extending Fritzbox network
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 12:02:30 AM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

. . . I have a main Fritzbox 7530, and a FritzRepeater 3000. I have a building at the end of the garden . . . have run a cat 6 cable . . . hoping to hardwire the 2 boosters together . . . Going to the user manual, there only appears to be the option to hardwire a box to a repeater and not a repeater to another repeater. Is this correct?

I do not have any knowledge of the various Fritz!Devices but if the user manual rules out your preferred option then it is time to think of a Plan B.

I do not have the option to hardwire to the main Fritzbox 7530, as it is in the wrong place in the house. Do I need another Fritzbox where the repeater is and some other configuration? Or something else?

So the current setup, which fails to work, is:

Fritz!Box 7530 <--- WiFi ---> Fritz!Repeater 3000 <--- Cat 6 Ethernet cable ---> Fritz!Repeater 3000

Hmm . . . I'm not sure what to suggest. Let's see if any other member has an idea . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »

This should be completely attainable, but what I would do is first add the second 3000, via lan cable, in a position close to the 7530 so thay can see each other. Once set up you should be able to move it to your desired location without issue. Assuming the cat 6 cable is working of course!
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

crdrummond

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:51:53 AM »

Spot on!
Thank you so much :)

crdrummond

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »

Actually, whilst it worked for a few minutes, it turns out that having the second repeater hardwired to the first one causes issues with the main box. When they are connected, all my devices disconnect from the main box and nothing works properly. This is very odd!
Anyone have any ideas?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »

Rather than a repeater, you just need a simple Wireless access point at the distant end. The repeater is trying to connect both wirelessly and wired to the first repeater.

crdrummond

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »

Thanks for this!
But does that extolling why all my devices are falling off the Wi-Fi for the main box in the house?

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 11:18:49 AM »

The fritzbox 3000 will connect to an existing network either by wifi or LAN, but not both. When you log into the 7530 do you see both 3000's as part of the mesh. If so, which devices are showing as connected to which 3000/7530?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »

Thanks for this!
But does that extolling why all my devices are falling off the Wi-Fi for the main box in the house?

I imagine you are causing some form of flooding issue by connecting the two repeaters together. The LAN ports on those repeaters expect to see a client device, not another part of the same mesh network. Just use a WAP at the far end as suggested and it should work fine. Any cheap one should do, it doesn't need to be a FritzBox one.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

crdrummond

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »

Thank you so much!
I have ordered one so hopefully will be up and running tomorrow!

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »

You can set up the 3000 as a simple wap by following the instructions to "Connecting Fritz repeater to a router from another manufacturer over LAN", see Fritz Knowledge document 3489. The fact you are using a fritz router should not matter.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »

I do not have the option to hardwire to the main Fritzbox 7530, as it is in the wrong place in the house.
If you'd be able to do that, then it would work.

Actually, whilst it worked for a few minutes, it turns out that having the second repeater hardwired to the first one causes issues with the main box. When they are connected, all my devices disconnect from the main box and nothing works properly. This is very odd!
Anyone have any ideas?
I recall reading on some forums about Fritzboz and FritzRepeaters that you can connect via cable a Fritzbox acting as the mesh master with a mesh repeater, but not two mesh (Fritz)repeaters: two mesh (Fritz)repeaters can only be connected via Wi-Fi  :-\
But you might want to ask AVM for confirmation.

Anyway, try what @licquorice/@atkinsong suggested and you should be fine, good luck!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:08:13 PM by hushcoden »

anything