Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG3925-B10C - Google Home Mini failing to connect at password stage  (Read 2496 times)

bobdole

• Just arrived

Just joined this forum as it seems people on here have some experience with this router (although seems primarily the B10A). I have received this with my supplier, and set up went as normal. However, I am having issues with connecting my Google Home Mini (which works perfectly well through my phone hotspot and as per my previous router (which I no longer have)).

Anyone else had this issue? Wondering if it is an IGMP issue. I have tried channel splitting, removing security and firewall, all to no success.

Note - Firmware Version V5.13(AAVF.13)C0

Thanks all,

Bob

bobdole

• Just arrived
Re: VMG3925-B10C - Google Home Mini failing to connect at password stage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »

To reply to this, it seems the fix was to set protected management frames to disabled and 802.11 protection to off. Don't know how that worked, but it did!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Thank you for posting your solution. Having no experience with a "Google Home Mini" I am puzzled how the solution actually works.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:05:13 PM »

To reply to this, it seems the fix was to set protected management frames to disabled and 802.11 protection to off. Don't know how that worked, but it did!

Were these the default configuration settings by the ISP?

Have they given you the supervisor password, as if these were the default configuration for WiFi when you reset the vmg3925 the issue will come back.

Welcome,

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:28:39 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Thank you for posting your solution. Having no experience with a "Google Home Mini" I am puzzled how the solution actually works.  :-\

Protected Management Frames are not supported by all WiFi clients, thus if its enabled and a device you try to connect doesn't support them, it wont connect.

Protected Management Frames (PMF) provide protection for unicast and multicast management action frames. Unicast management action frames are protected from both eavesdropping and forging, and multicast management action frames are protected from forging. They augment privacy protections already in place for data frames with mechanisms to improve the resiliency of mission-critical networks. PMF is required for all new certified devices.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »

The 802.11 protection is there to prevent clashes between n class devices and older devices using b/g. The options on my VMG8924-B10A are 'Auto' and 'Off', with 'Auto' being the default. Turning it off won't hurt if you have no older b/g devices connecting, but it is odd that it stopped the Home Mini from connecting altogether as it shouldn't do that.
I don't appear to have a PMF option on my device so it either doesn't support it or there's no user control option.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »

My VMG3925-B10B has only Off or Auto for the protection setting and that is logging on with the supervisor p/w. One thing I don't have the latest f/w on it, V5.13(AAVF.7)C0. My BT Whole Home mesh system does not appear to have that setting at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ssmithswfc87

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »

Hi bobdole,

I have this exact same problem and spent many many hours trying to resolve, to the point I'm going to have to buy a router as 2 from Shell, and hours on helplines to them and Google have resulted in zero success.

Did you switch off IGMP etc as well as protected management and 802.11, or just the latter to make it work?

thank you!

bobdole

• Just arrived

Exactly this! Apologies ssmithswfc87 hope you managed to get it fixed...