Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My friend farmhouse  (Read 3592 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
My friend farmhouse
« on: January 30, 2023, 09:03:28 PM »

I do feel sorry for my friend who live in the middle of no where in his farmhouse as Openreach are not available for any FTTC, G.fast, FTTPoD or FTTP. Only Adsl2+ up to 16Meg.

I check his router, seem he very close to the exchange with maximum data rate of 21Mbps for upstream but 16Mbps for downstream. Plusnet only giving him download with 12Meg and upload of 832kbps (why?)

Openreach told him if he want full fibre, it cost him £29k  :no: as FTTP are no chance for his farmhouse.

He did try airband 40/10 but it pretty awful, cancelled it. He got 8 CCTV, 4K tv for netflix. Is that enough speed for his current 12Meg?

Engineer told him his line is approx 359m (Estimate to Distribution Point) his exchange is STOTTESDON

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:09:21 PM by adslmax »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: My friend farmhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:28:34 PM »

That upstream is impossible on ADSL.

Can he send you the full stats from the technical log section of wherever it is on a Hub One?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:32:44 PM »

That upstream is impossible on ADSL.

Can he send you the full stats from the technical log section of wherever it is on a Hub One?

I was there did checked on his plusnet router in techinical log section helpdesk. Very odd to see ADSL2+ 21Mbps upstream? I took the screenshot from his router today. I did rebooted his router come back the same result 21Mbps upstream.

I told him to ask Plusnet for GEA Test if the GEA Test confirmed max rate of 21Mbps for upstream then it rather odd!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:38:35 PM by adslmax »

Iain

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:57 PM »

It is no good just showing a little of the info, you need to show the complete Help Desk tab, only hiding personal info, not the important bits.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 10:12:00 PM »

Well I did one off speedtest was 12.7Mbps down and 801Kbps up cos I do remember when I was on old plusnet ADSL2+ I get 16Meg down and 1292kbps up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:18:49 PM by adslmax »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:03:22 AM »

Yeah there's something glitchy there, even Annex M tops out around 3Mbit upstream I believe.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 07:53:10 AM »

The actual upstream rate is 828kbps which is normal for an interleaved line, the Hub 1 is for some reason calculating a ridiculous maximum upload speed, it is not real as has already been stated it's impossible on ADSL2+

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:14:32 AM »

The actual upstream rate is 828kbps which is normal for an interleaved line, the Hub 1 is for some reason calculating a ridiculous maximum upload speed, it is not real as has already been stated it's impossible on ADSL2+

Agree, it's the Hub 1 being silly. I'd say that unless there is anything that can be done with the internal house wiring, eg adding a filtered faceplate, then it is what it is.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »

Maybe it's reading a SDSL capable line.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 11:31:59 AM »

I was there did checked on his plusnet router in techinical log section helpdesk. Very odd to see ADSL2+ 21Mbps upstream? I took the screenshot from his router today. I did rebooted his router come back the same result 21Mbps upstream.

The technical log shows much more than that. Looking to see modulation amongst other things.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 12:48:20 AM »

>>  Plusnet only giving him download with 12Meg and upload of 832kbps (why?)

Max! You really should know by now that the ISP has absolutely no control over the sync speed.   :(
The sync (connection) speed is negotiated between the DSLAM/MSAN and your modem.

As others have said, 21Mbps is impossible upstream for ADSL.   

>>> GEA Test confirmed max rate of 21Mbps for upstream then it rather odd!

The GEA test reports some of its information which it has gathered from the modem... in particular upstream data. (ie atten)  It's the modem that calculates the max line rate. I know its confusing, but  Max line rate is not the same as figures used by the DSL checker to estimate the max product speed.  The figure provided by the DSLchecker is obtained from actual sync speeds and sync speeds from similar and neighbouring lines.

I didnt think GEA shows the Maximum estimated speed anyhow.   The MAX speed which it does show is the max speed that the line has sync'd at over the past few months. 

Is a GEA test available for ADSL?  It used to be one of the other KBD test suites that displays slightly different info.  In days gone by to get higher speed products we used to send the ISP a screen shot of the modem reading for estimated speed & SNR in an attempt to get the higher speed product when the checker said no.
You can see on his DSL checker speedtest result that even if he got Annex M then the upstream is estimated to be 1.5 Mbps.  The figure of 21Mbps has to be wrong.  With a current sync of 828kbps and SNRM of 7.7dB there is no way on earth the upstream could reach 21Mbps.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 12:56:33 AM »

Maybe it's reading a SDSL capable line.

Is SDSL still available? I'm not sure if it is or not.... but it used to be limited to 2Mb (BT/Openreach)
Even so if it can only reach 17Mb downstream on adsl, then there just wouldn't be sufficient available tones for 17Mb SDSL never-mind 21Mb

---
ETA
btw a kind of moot but interesting observation.

Based on a line attenuation of 14dB.. if the line was perfect and not interleaved,  then I calculate the maximum downstream rate to be 22,400 kbps.  So 21,900 kbps could be about the max line rate for a perfect 14.3dB atten line. 
Please don't get excited about that Max, I only mention it because from what I can see it's about the only thing that makes any sense for where the figure of 21,894 may come from.  Unfortunately he's over 1km from the exchange and unlikely to be perfect, nor do we know how much copper is in the line.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:02:01 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything