Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zoom sound quality  (Read 1887 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Zoom sound quality
« on: August 09, 2021, 07:29:24 AM »

As you may remember, I have started using the video conferencing app ‘Zoom’this year on my iPad. I had some problems some while back with garbling / corruption of the audio/video streams in Zoom or Zoom dropping the application-layer protocol altogether and then requiring me to restart the link. These problems have largely gone away now I have got rid of two bad copper lines and replaced one of them with a good new line (so one fewer in total, three links in total not four as back in March).

So leaving internet connection quality issues aside completely, I’m still having some difficulties using Zoom because I can’t hear the fricatives/sibilants in speech very well; the higher speech frequencies ~ 4-5kHz. It may well be that the other person, my teacher in Zoom evening classes, has a rubbish microphone perhaps? But that isn’t something I can fix apart from using my powers of persuasion and in such a case I need to check whether or not I am the only one affected or else everyone in the class is not hearing the teacher’s fricatives and sibilants clearly. When you are listening to your native language, your brain can compensate for poor sound quality by using intelligent guesswork, but when listening to a foreign language you are stuffed if audio is poor.

It could also be my iPad’s speakers that are rubbish, or my headphones, or Zoom’s audio processing algorithms; Zoom will presumably have a compression algorithm? Or is the bit rate for speech-quality audio so low that there’s no need? I would thing Zoom has to have sophisticated echo-cancelling algorithms which can handle long delays and I wonder how much all these algorithms muck up high frequencies?

Suggestions for decent microphones and high quality headphones on a budget (asking for the impossible there, maybe, but this is ‘high quality’ in the context of speech only, so not hifi at all). Are just about to have to pay for the house roof being repaired after fifteen years of intense crazy gales and pouring rain, so my financial director is vetoing frivolous spending just now.

That’s the killer though; I realise that I can’t alter my teachers’ hardware, not unless there happens to be a lot of us students affected.  it perhaps I could get some cheap but better headphones.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Zoom sound quality
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »

As you may remember, I have started using the video conferencing app ‘Zoom’this year on my iPad. I had some problems some while back with garbling / corruption of the audio/video streams in Zoom or Zoom dropping the application-layer protocol altogether and then requiring me to restart the link. These problems have largely gone away now I have got rid of two bad copper lines and replaced one of them with a good new line (so one fewer in total, three links in total not four as back in March).

Yes, now that you have refreshed my memory, it is all recalled.

When you are listening to your native language, your brain can compensate for poor sound quality by using intelligent guesswork, but when listening to a foreign language you are stuffed if audio is poor.

Agreed.

Suggestions for decent microphones and high quality headphones on a budget (asking for the impossible there, maybe, but this is ‘high quality’ in the context of speech only, so not hifi at all).

It will be useful to know what you are currently using . . . So those able to assist can make sensible suggestions.

Are just about to have to pay for the house roof being repaired after fifteen years of intense crazy gales and pouring rain,

I strongly suspect that re-roofing a house, to withstand the weather extremes of Skye, will be significantly more expensive than what I paid for a property in NW Kent, around 21 years ago.  :o

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Zoom sound quality
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 07:24:23 PM »

The slates on the house were all re-done 15 years ago and are perfect, but the various bits of woodworks are rotten in some places and leaky at best in others. This is because pressure-treated, weatherproof wood (what is it called?) was not used where it was needed, just ordinary softwood. So it’s only replacement of soft wood with lookalike special PVC panels, which will of course never ever rot.

As for headphones, they’re some nameless model - can’t see any identifying information on them.