Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VM eventually changing to FTTP by 2028  (Read 5532 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: VM eventually changing to FTTP by 2028
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »

It also means that some people are just going to get left out because there is no profit to be had.

There will always be 'losers' (if you will), in any kind of capitalist venture, especially one with geographical size we're talking about, in this particular topic.

:)

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »

Government programs should sort those that the private sector will not cover. They will not have as many options as many others. This is much the same as now with regards to things from Internet access to public transport.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 02:26:21 PM »

Will people using the current DOCSIS 3.1 connection feel any difference in VM changing the network to FTTP?

Will it help with congestion or give VM more technical detail to enable them to fix problems faster?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »

Will people using the current DOCSIS 3.1 connection feel any difference in VM changing the network to FTTP?

I've already got Virgin "FTTP".
It's DOCSIS 3.1 using RFOG (Radio Frequency Over Glass) and it's pretty much the exact same as HFC (coax) DOCSIS 3.1.

It's when that's changed to XGS-PON that a difference will be noticeable. Latency should drop and the DOCSIS jitter should be gone.

I don't know if there current programme upgrading HFC areas to FTTP is going straight to XGS-PON or not. I would assume it is. It makes little sense installing equipment to replicate what's already available.

Also happening outside of those areas mentioned in the ISPR story. Can be spotted easily enough - contractors installing subduct into existing plant and the very occasional new cabinet.

Do you know if any of this live with XGS-PON? If so how are they choosing what customers get moved over and are the packages/upload the same?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 04:43:30 PM »

I noticed Virgin Media popped up on one.network for the end of my street where there is no Virgin Media presence.  Strange thing is it appears to be one side of the road to the other (via OR ducting), the other being where an O2/Vodafone mast is located which I'm fairly sure its fibre comes up that other side of the street, so really puzzled what this is about.

Could they be planning to extend their network to this end of the street as part of this rollout (the other end HAS VM boxes) to compete with Openreach and CityFibre?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 06:00:53 PM »

Will it help with congestion or give VM more technical detail to enable them to fix problems faster?

Docsis (at least the way VM use it with minimal investment) seems too prone to congestion, the time slot system in my area leaves constant jitter as well even off peak.

Docsis also seems to need loads of lead time for capacity upgrades, I dont know if thats a problem with the tech (node split) or again thats just down to ntl/VM dragging their feet.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »

A degree of jitter is a fact of life with cable.

Overbuild works are in progress nationwide.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything