Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download speeds does not match the modem  (Read 1056 times)

fawzy46

• Just arrived
Download speeds does not match the modem
« on: July 25, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »

I have 3 modems hg630 v2, zte h168n, and tp-link 9960 (the first 2 are isp supplied modems/routers) all the 3 modems report 28mbps for my line speed and 40mbps max attenable rate. the problem is when I download something or do a speed test I only get 20 Mbps and sometimes drops below 10 and the latency increases. I can fix it by restarting my modem but the issue appears again after a few minutes/hours. I called my isp but they said the cabinet from their side reports 28mbps and the line is stable without any issues thus they won't register any issues. the zte modem is the most affected as it also drops the upload speed by half no matter what the upload speed is.

at first, when I had the zte modem, my isp said it could be faulty, but then I bought the hg630 v2 and tp-link 9960 with the same problem, so I doubt it is a faulty modem. so does anyone have any idea what can cause this issue?

I currently live in Egypt and my ISP is telecom Egypt aka WE. I know most people here are from the UK but you are my last hope plus Kitz forum seems the most knowledgeable place for xDSL lines

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Download speeds does not match the modem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »

@fawzy46, welcome to kitz forum.

What version is the w9960, v1 v2 V3 v4 v5 V6?
What speed does your ISP offer?

fawzy46

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »

it says V1.2 on the box

and I am currently on a 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps speed plan. my isp also offers 70 Mbps and 100 Mbps plans

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:57:44 PM »

Its perfectly normal for throughput to be 8Mbit below the line rate, because throughput is end-user data speed whereas the line rate includes PTM, PPP and TCP overheads.  The ISP will also usually throttle below the line rate to avoid sending more traffic to the local telco equipment than can actually be delivered.

The same way on a LAN connection a 1000Mbit line rate will give around 940Mbit real-world throughput.

Of course that doesn't explain your drop to 10Mbit, that's a trickier one to figure out.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

fawzy46

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »

I don't think the overhead can cause much of a speed drop even 8mbit is too much. before I face this issue my throughput would normally be 2mbit less than what the modem reports and I verified that with my friends. also, the overhead does not justify the huge latency jump. plus my ISP sets users to speeds higher than what they are paying for as long as the line can achieve it then throttle them through their servers, not through the physical link. for example 30mbps subscribers would be set to 40mbit profile through the physical link and throttled to 30mbps at the exit node of the ISP.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:23:41 PM by fawzy46 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 01:01:59 AM »

While I generally agree as its a percentage so gets bigger the faster you are connecting, it also depends.  If the line has become noisy they could have switched it to interleaved.  Its rather hard to judge as were not familiar with how your telco works compared to ours where its mostly automated.

Generally we would be looking at line statistics (interleaving status, CRC errors, FEC errors, etc) from the modem to get some idea of what its actually doing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »

Currently hunting down the W9960 v1.2, v1.0 is econet:

Code: [Select]
TD-W9960 (EU) ver 1.0

CPU: ECONET(MTK) EN7512
WIRELESS: MTK MT7592
RAM: 64MB
FLASH: 8MB

fawzy46

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »

While I generally agree as its a percentage so gets bigger the faster you are connecting, it also depends.  If the line has become noisy they could have switched it to interleaved.  Its rather hard to judge as were not familiar with how your telco works compared to ours where its mostly automated.

Generally we would be looking at line statistics (interleaving status, CRC errors, FEC errors, etc) from the modem to get some idea of what its actually doing.

some stats from the router web-GUI and from the console: (all line operations are automated by the DLM)

Code: [Select]
{
enable=1
X_TP_DisableAELEM=0
status=Up
linkEncapsulationRequested=
linkEncapsulationUsed=G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
modulationType=VDSL2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=8a,8b,8c,8d,12a,12b,17a,30a
currentProfile=
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8c=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8d=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_17a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_30a=0
dataPath=Fast
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=3071
downstreamCurrRate=28670
upstreamMaxRate=5298
downstreamMaxRate=38615
upstreamNoiseMargin=87
downstreamNoiseMargin=66
upstreamAttenuation=71
downstreamAttenuation=216
upstreamPower=50
downstreamPower=118
usNegBandPlanDiscPresentation=0
dsNegBandPlanDiscPresentation=0
SATNus=
SATNds=
LATNus=
LATNds=
SNRMarginus=
SNRMarginds=
transmitPowerUs=
transmitPowerDs=
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=62
showtimeStart=20
quarterHourStart=0
X_TP_LastUpMoment=107032
X_TP_UpTime=35627
X_TP_Bitswap=Off
X_TP_SRA=Off
X_TP_AdslModulationCfg=VDSL2
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex A
X_TP_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A,B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A,B;ADSL2:auto,A,B,A/L;ADSL2+:auto,A,B,I,J,M,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;ADSL Auto Sync-up:auto,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;Auto Sync-up:auto,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;
}

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »

The lines running fastpath. No additional latency added by the DSLAM.

For some reason you have bitswap disabled?

Not knowing how things work over there I would be amazed if anyone on these forums knew why your throughput was low.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »

The website's a fun read: https://te.eg/wps/portal/te/Personal/WE-SPACE/Plan-details

OP looks to be on the Super Plan, with either 140, 250, 400 or 600gb data allowance.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »

The website's a fun read: https://te.eg/wps/portal/te/Personal/WE-SPACE/Plan-details

What do you think of the plans? super is 30/3 mbps, mega 70/7 mbps, ultra 100/10 mbps and max 200/25 mbps (it is only for FTTH lines atm but 35b profile is rolling out for FTTC lines so hopefully around the new year it will be available).

fawzy46

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »

The lines running fastpath. No additional latency added by the DSLAM.

For some reason you have bitswap disabled?

Not knowing how things work over there I would be amazed if anyone on these forums knew why your throughput was low.

I tried with bitswap and SRA on and off but it did not make any difference. normally I would see 11ms latency when I test on my ISP servers but when the problem occurs it jumps to 20ms. I am really frustrated and my isp is helpless AF and has zero technical support even for more clear problems.

fawzy46

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »

OP looks to be on the Super Plan, with either 140, 250, 400 or 600GB data allowance.

yep, I am on super with 400Gb but each month I have to buy an additional 100gb. internet here is disgusting and telecom Egypt aka WE runs a blatant monopoly and screwing every internet user in Egypt

anything