Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Web Mail  (Read 6955 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Web Mail
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

Hi all,bit of a head scratcher this,I have started to use G Mail as I find it better with FF.I have been using Windows Live Hotmail and  Yahoo mail.When I have just tried to send a message from G Mail to Live mail,it was sent ok but never arrived.I have tried the reverse, live mail to G mail and that was fine,also G mail to Yahoo is fine and Live mail to Yahoo is Fine.I have just downloaded the G mail add on for FF and I am wondering if thats anything to do with it.

Edit,just uninstalled the G mail add on  and its still the same.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:17:26 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

Re: Web Mail
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

I can't help you there Unc   :(    ....  I use  Mozilla's Thunderbird ! 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »

Thanks Kate,is Thunderbird any good? How is that different to web mail?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »

Blow me down its ok now  :hmm:

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

Unc... I've never used web mail  ... I've tried Outlook Express which suddenly  started funny antics  :-\  Outlook (which I don't seem to be able to get on with),  Eudora  , not impressed :no:  and finally Thunderbird which I LIKE  .... a lot !   I suppose it's horses for courses  ...it MIGHT be worth you having a look ....  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »

Web mail is handy if you move around a lot, but I prefer to use a normal email client program (like Thunderbird) so that the emails which I want to keep are stored on my own machine. I don't like relying on remote storage for that sort of thing.

It's easy enough to set up a normal email program to receive and send emails through your GMail account. It's well explained in the help pages on the Gmail website. You can still take advantage of the spam filtering features etc. of Gmail without having to use its web interface for your regular emailing.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »

I'm not that impressed with gmail, my account is constantly inundated with hundreds of spam mails.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

I use Gmail without any problems, I use Outlook Express to download from their site and very rarely vist the site itself. I found its very good at filtering spam, not that I get a lot but last time I checked it had put some PayPal missives in the spam folder, so they never got onto my machine. I know people say that a gmail account can stop you from registering on some sites, but I've never had that problem either.

All I can say Mr Floydoid is you should be more careful where you wander  :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »

Now we know why the internet is getting clogged up..............it's unkyUb sending all these e-mails to himself.  :lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »

Now we know why the internet is getting clogged up..............it's unkyUb sending all these e-mails to himself.  :lol:

Billy no mates,thats me.  :'(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »

All I can say Mr Floydoid is you should be more careful where you wander  :lol:

Well, I've never really used the account much, preferring to stick with hotmail, or my ISP's mail account, so how they decide I'd be interested in fake designer watches, cheap medications, or (to put it politely) personal enhancement devices, I'll never know.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »

I have used Yahoo mail for years and have been using BT Yahoo for the last 15 months,I use to get quite a lot of spam with Yahoo but not that much with BT Yahoo.Up to now I have not had any spam using G Mail.When I leave BT in October I suppose I will loose my BT Yahoo email address,so I'm moving everything over from my Yahoo  to G Mail and also moving everything from my Windows Live Hotmail as you can't have the Windows live toolbar with FF,can you?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »

you can't have the Windows live toolbar with FF,can you?

No you can't, but that doesn't stop you using Hotmail with Firefox though. Just go to http://www.hotmail.com/ and sign in as normal.
Chris