Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Effects of Ethernet  (Read 7802 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Effects of Ethernet
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2021, 05:17:16 PM »

Mine is running 1.00(AAKL.28)C0 and it doesn't have that dumpmdm either.  I vaguely recall trying to find a root or supervisor login when I first got the router, but not making any progress, and it seems to work fine as it is with the normal administrator level login.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »

Mine is running 1.00(AAKL.28)C0 and it doesn't have that dumpmdm either.  I vaguely recall trying to find a root or supervisor login when I first got the router, but not making any progress, and it seems to work fine as it is with the normal administrator level login.
:thumbs: thanks just what I needed to hear

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2021, 02:05:00 AM »

Mods: Typo in the title : ‘Effects of Ethernet’ surely? Apologies if I’m going mad though.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »

Mods: Typo in the title : ‘Effects of Ethernet’ surely? Apologies if I’m going mad though.
No not going mad Weaver  ;) I often need spelling pointed out ( Dyslexia ) or as it used to be called in my days at school ," a bit thick " so I'm appreciate any mistakes I make flagging up ( as my wife keeps telling it's the only way I'll learn  ;) )

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 12:40:53 PM »

When choosing between “affect” versus “effect,” it can be tricky to remember the variety of definitions that come with each word. However, there are plenty of mnemonic devices out there that can help you remember certain grammar rules of the English language. A good rule of thumb to remember for “affect” and “effect” is:

• If you’re discussing cause and effect and you’re referring to the ending result of said cause, use “effect.” You can remember that “effect” represents the end, as they both start with “e.”
  • If you’re talking about something changing or influencing something else, use “affect.” You can remember that “affect” represents an alteration, as they both start with “a.”

I'd have thought affect was correct.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 03:29:06 PM »

'Affect' is a verb, whereas 'effect' can be a noun or a verb. As verbs they have different meanings, but the title of this thread clearly requires a plural noun, so 'effects' would be correct.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »

Silently, stealthily, just like a ninja, b*cat paws the keyboard . . .  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 04:53:48 PM »

Silently, stealthily, just like a ninja, b*cat paws the keyboard . . .  :angel:
;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2021, 01:51:18 AM »

@noddy two words that I can never get right: ‘dependent’ and ‘dependant’

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2021, 08:20:52 AM »

@noddy two words that I can never get right: ‘dependent’ and ‘dependant’
I shouldn't worry about that I have a lot more than two words I have trouble with  :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2021, 10:21:52 PM »

A friend of mine is an substitute Elementary teacher, I'm fairly sure he's trained in English, he gets words wrong all the time too.

I don't just get words wrong, I will often write a whole sentence, post it, and realise days later that it doesn't really say what I meant it to say.  If I'm lucky, I will find a better way to explain what I meant.  But its gotten me in many an argument because I phrased something badly.

Or my particular horror when I told someone when I worked at Plusnet that DSL gets worse in the winter because its cold and they rightly corrected me that actually it should work better due to less attenuation on the line.  I knew what I meant (that it CAN work worse in the winter, but its more down to damp joints) but once you've said something stupid, you feel like an idiot and it gives a bad impression of customer support not knowing what they're talking about.

This is one of my long standing problems, I tend to over-explain things as its safer to assume someone doesn't understand and ins and outs, but it ends badly if you word it wrong.

A few months back I got accused of mansplaining something, though I did laugh that one off because it wasn't that I over-explained because they were female, I over-explained because I ALWAYS try ti second-guess what their next question is going to be.  I don't pay any attention at all to what sex/gender/nationality the person asking is online unless its relevant to the discussion, which it wasn't..
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:29:33 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]