Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does this sound too good to be true?  (Read 2859 times)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
Does this sound too good to be true?
« on: October 16, 2021, 01:31:01 PM »

Youfibre - https://www.youfibre.com/

Your thoughts appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 01:33:03 PM by maxheadroom »

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Does this sound too good to be true?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 02:16:57 PM »

town not listed>?
- have fibre poles all over the town and outside my house with full FTTP availability  - so they must be using their own or piggy-backing another network? probably be in London and surrounding (posh) areas only for now...

I've yet to find ANYONE whos cheaper than BT for 900 (gigabit speeds) @ £55
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 02:53:19 PM »

Youfibre don't use OpenReach infrastructure.

BT currently have 900Mb on offer for £49.99 without a landline and £54.99 with VOIP.
Existing customers tend to be charged more.

There are many providers that sell gigabit cheaper than BT. Just not on the OpenReach network yet, but that will change soon with Talktalk launching gigabit to residential customers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 03:55:01 PM »

BT currently have 900Mb on offer for £49.99 without a landline and £54.99 with VOIP.

I was told BT's own VOIP was not available here in Thanet! So if I want to keep my phone its copper! Also I suspect this company will not be regulated by OFCOM!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »

I was told BT's own VOIP was not available here in Thanet! So if I want to keep my phone its copper! Also I suspect this company will not be regulated by OFCOM!

Stuart

That would be weird seeing as part of the point of VoIP is its entirely location agnostic as it goes over the Internet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 06:20:39 PM »

town not listed>?
- have fibre poles all over the town and outside my house with full FTTP availability  - so they must be using their own or piggy-backing another network? probably be in London and surrounding (posh) areas only for now...

This is Barrow-in-Furness its not posh   ;D

@youfibre
 can you advise if you are still on track for Barrow-in-Furness. I signed up last month and just waiting on a date for installation :)

Register your interest

YouFibre is currently being rolled out in parts of Barrow-in-Furness, Boston, Cheltenham, Durham, Houghton-le-Spring, Peterlee, Spalding, Spennymoor, Stockton & Stroud. We are continuing to connect more properties across these towns, sign up below to hear from us when we can get your property connected.YouFibre will also soon be available in Ashford, Canterbury, King's Lynn, Lancaster, Spalding, Spennymoor, Stockton, Stroud and Wisbech.

Enter your details below to be the first to know when we can connect your street.

Town not listed? Don’t worry, we have plans for many more areas to be released soon!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:30:24 PM by maxheadroom »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 08:56:22 AM »

Stuart

I've got a friend in Thanet who a few months back got BT FTTP,  when they changed him over to FTTP his phone stopped working. He was told that he couldn't have a phone over FTTP, it is working now presumably over copper, but he's not technically minded so this could be inaccurate.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »

I've got a friend in Thanet who a few months back got BT FTTP,  when they changed him over to FTTP his phone stopped working. He was told that he couldn't have a phone over FTTP, it is working now presumably over copper, but he's not technically minded so this could be inaccurate.

I've checked up some more on this and while VOIP will work over BT FTTP currently BT are not rolling out their Digital Voice in Thanet, at least that's my interpretation. So you need to sign up with a VOIP supplier and probably use an ATA unless you have the correct phone.

Stuart
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 10:15:50 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »

ISP review article is mixed:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/06/new-uk-isp-youfibre-start-fttp-broadband-rollout-in-durham.html

Ex CEO of Community Fibre, netomnia provide service, youfibre resell it.

https://www.netomnia.com/

At least the netomnia site is readable

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 01:37:01 PM »

Youfibre don't use OpenReach infrastructure.

Existing customers tend to be charged more.

There are many providers that sell gigabit cheaper than BT. Just not on the OpenReach network yet, but that will change soon with Talktalk launching gigabit to residential customers.
not for me there isn't - I've checked what's available to me, and BT's is the cheapest, also 900Mbps was the correct choice of speed for Gigabit speeds for BT, due to most homes/PC'sand Laptops have 1G/bit LAN NICs which max out at 950Mbps - any higher connections are going to need 10G/Bit LAN NICs with 10G/bit LAN on your router - so well done BT!

and according to their site its 54.99 without landline 59.99 with landline
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »

not for me there isn't - I've checked what's available to me, and BT's is the cheapest

I did say the cheaper providers were not on the OpenReach network. So if you don't have an Alt-Net available then obviously BT is the cheapest available to you.

also 900Mbps was the correct choice of speed for Gigabit speeds for BT, due to most homes/PC'sand Laptops have 1G/bit LAN NICs which max out at 950Mbps - any higher connections are going to need 10G/Bit LAN NICs with 10G/bit LAN on your router - so well done BT!

It's actually  nothing to do with NIC's.

They sell 1000Mb and even with a 10Gb NIC you aren't getting more than circa 940Mb.
Providers must advertise the speed that a certain percentage of users on that package can achieve.
They sell it as 900Mb due to overheads used by things like TCP/IP.
An ONT and router with 10Gb ports wouldn't increase that at all.

and according to their site its 54.99 without landline 59.99 with landline

See my attached image. There are about 5 different BT url links that all give varying offers.
It's currently on offer for £49.99.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:28:05 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

antsly

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »

It's not even necessarily true that you'd need 10 gig nics anyway, NBASE-T is becoming quite affordable for 2.5 gbit and 5 gbit wired connections.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »

I agree with what J0hn said. There may be some rule about a requirement that advertisers advertise TCP payload rate ie TCP SDU rate not IP PDU rate. I think the IP PDU rate is the one that should be quoted because TCP is not the only transport, it’s a choice of certain particular common applications and nothing to do with your internet connection. Including TCP + IP headers is such nonsense for another reasons too: it’s totally arbitrary 40 bytes for IPv4+TCP or 60 bytes if IPv6, so a 50% difference! Which are they supposed to quote ? And what about TCP timestamps (12 additional bytes if present, zero bytes if absent) - are they in use or not ?

Including counting the cost of headers is the most honest choice because that’s counting total of all bytes sent/received done the internet connection. However since users may think that TCP SDU rate is ‘the speed’ it’s perhaps not a bad thing to require a bit of understatement, that way users won’t be disappointed by the nonsense that they see reported.

Most speed testers are rubbish, inaccurate because they use TCP and possibly use odd multiplication ‘fudge factors’. Many are measuring the speed of the wider internet along the path from your ISP to the speed tester, not the speed of your own line or fibre pipe. Should only be using a speed tester at your own ISP. Also they may be reporting the speed of the overloaded test server if used at the wrong time of day or if very well known.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »

Prices definitely not too good to be true, just aggressive marketing to increase uptake :)

anything