Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Smart Hub 2  (Read 2686 times)

black33

BT Smart Hub 2
« on: July 11, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »

Got BT Smart Hub 2 on a FTTP contract with the digital phone thrown in.
Using a RJ45 cable I get 73.4mb down speed or 63mb via wi-fi.
However when I access the wi-fi from a room at back of house the down speed is like 21mb.
Why am I losing so much speed and what can I do to fix it? Tune into another channel maybe or get a better router?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 10:05:54 PM by black33 »

Iain

Re: BT Smart Hub 2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »

Doesn't BT do a Whole Home WiFi system?
That should improve your WiFi speeds around the house.

black33

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 11:43:59 PM »

Doesn't BT do a Whole Home WiFi system?
That should improve your WiFi speeds around the house.

I think it does some thing with discs to make wi-fi access better but they seem expensive.
Might give the old wi-fi extender plugs a go. Just that the smart hub 2 supposedly is the business for wi-fi distribution.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 01:39:38 AM »

Got BT Smart Hub 2 on a FTTP contract with the digital phone thrown in.
Using a RJ45 cable I get 73.4mb down speed or 63mb via wi-fi.
However when I access the wi-fi from a room at back of house the down speed is like 21mb.
Why am I losing so much speed and what can I do to fix it? Tune into another channel maybe or get a better router?

Can you separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi or are you stuck with smart WiFi, where the bands are combined?

From what you have described, the "smart" hub is using "smart" WiFi and putting you on the 2.4ghz channel as it stupidly thinks better signal more bandwidth.

I'm not a fan of the hub, does your  landline phone connect to it?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 07:53:56 AM »

As @meritez says it's worth splitting the 2.4GHaz and 5GHz SSIDs to see if that helps. It's also worth using a wifi scanning app to see if you are on the best channels and changing manually if you aren't. However, if the back of your house is a good distance from where the router is, and there are solid walls or metal objects in the path then you will lose a lot of speed. A better router might help, but you may have to use repeaters or a mesh system to fix it.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »

You can't split the SSIDs on the Smart Hub 2 - crazy, I know.

@black33 It's probably due to the materials your property is built from our the location of the Smart Hub.

Have you previously got better speeds there?

black33

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Smart Hub is new to me and it was under the tv but now placed on top of a electric fire (I never turn it on) against a wall.
I'm 8 feet away on my laptop at the moment and get 68mb.
With a wired connection I get the 73.4BT router stats say I am getting.
It's just a massive drop when trying to access the wi-fi out the back of the house (2 brick walls between the location)
Yes I do have the BT Digital phone which is connected to the Smart Hub via wi-fi.
My laptop does not support the 5ghz speed so maybe there lies the problem, 2.4ghz network only.
The 2.4ghz wi-fi is set to channel 6 and the 5ghz wi-fi channel 36. Not sure of these can be changed?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:16:11 PM by black33 »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »

You have unrealistic expectations of wifi.
The BT digital phone doesn't connect via wifi, the hub has a built in DECT base station.
5Ghz would probably be worse than 2.4Ghz under those conditions.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 09:29:26 PM »

It's just a massive drop when trying to access the wi-fi out the back of the house (2 brick walls between the location)

That's exactly what I would expect 2 brick walls to do to a WiFi signal.

My laptop does not support the 5ghz speed so maybe there lies the problem, 2.4ghz network only.

5GHz is best for high speeds at short distance.
2.4GHz is best for longer range or going through walls (lower frequencies penetrate better).

The 2.4ghz wi-fi is set to channel 6 and the 5ghz wi-fi channel 36. Not sure of these can be changed?

You can use an Android app like WiFi Analyser to see what channels your neighbours are on.
No idea if the Smart Hub 2 allows you to change channel. Mines is still sealed in its box.

The Hubs are usually good at picking the best channel automatically.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

black33

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 09:31:36 PM »

You have unrealistic expectations of wifi.
The BT digital phone doesn't connect via wifi, the hub has a built in DECT base station.
5Ghz would probably be worse than 2.4Ghz under those conditions.

Oh right thanks for that, never heard of DECT base station but believe it can be plugged in anywhere now it's been set-up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 08:49:34 PM by black33 »

black33

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »

That's exactly what I would expect 2 brick walls to do to a WiFi signal.

5GHz is best for high speeds at short distance.
2.4GHz is best for longer range or going through walls (lower frequencies penetrate better).

You can use an Android app like WiFi Analyser to see what channels your neighbours are on.
No idea if the Smart Hub 2 allows you to change channel. Mines is still sealed in its box.

The Hubs are usually good at picking the best channel automatically.

thanks for the input, I tried the power line adaptors and now get 41mb from 21mb so that's a start.
don't know why I can't get the full 70+ mb with them though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:40:35 PM by black33 »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »

thanks for the input, I tried the power line adaptors and now get 41mb from 21mb so that's a start.
don't know why I can't get the full 70+ mb with them though.

Powerline kit is very hit and miss. Some people love it and others find it causes lots of interference and reduces their connection speed. If you must use it then make sure the units plug directly into a socket (extension leads kill the signal) and keep it as far from your router as you can. Personally I don't like the stuff, and that's putting it politely!
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything