Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP...The Computer Says Yes Again !.  (Read 2391 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
FTTP...The Computer Says Yes Again !.
« on: July 09, 2021, 09:19:26 PM »

I have contacted and spoke to one of the directors (Darren) of   https://www.trunknetworks.com/ the Business side,
they also have https://www.noone.co.uk/ for Domestic
and  https://www.leetline.co.uk/   for gaming.

He seemed very knowledgeable of  what I wanted, he did some checks and Confirmed that they can supply me with a FTTP connection, I ask him what 'Backhaul' they would be using and he said BTW and said the 'Cablelinks' would be in place.  :)
Remember in another post I put that one one my neighbors had gone with 'Sky' They also use BTW backhaul so I might just get my connection this time :)   :yay:

He also told me   'Our core network is connected at 100Gb.'

Just waiting for the account to be set up and payment details to go through and for them to confirm the install date.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP...The Computer Says Yes Again !.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 04:46:05 AM »

BT Wholesale always have cablelinks in place, or on order.

Remember in another post I put that one one my neighbors had gone with 'Sky' They also use BTW backhaul so I might just get my connection this time :)   :yay:

Sky don't use BTW.
Sky use their own Cablelinks to their own backhaul.

Glad you finally have FTTP ordered.
Trunk networks are a good provider.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:56:08 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »

I do not know what they use :shrug2:  it was what Trunk Networks told me.

I will wait and see.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:12:15 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 11:32:28 AM »

Got an install date of the 26.7.2021  :)
So I just might get my connection this time.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 04:03:07 PM »

Twelve days to go . . .

Whilst you wait, why not feed a draw-rope thorough the duct out to the joint chamber in the road?  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 09:47:44 PM »

Date Changed to the 28.7.2021.  :-\

@ burakkucat.

Well yes I could do, But I was going to suggest that they use the old Phone cable to pull the fibre and new phone cable through the duct (with my help) and give me the old phone cable then I could used the old cable to run to my Garage/Flat   :o
The old, old phone cable that they replaced a few years ago goes from my Garage/Flat to my Workshop at the top of my garden  :blush:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:29:44 PM by tickmike »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 10:48:05 PM »

Thirteen days to go . . .  :o

. . . I was going to suggest that they use the old Phone cable to pull the fibre and new phone cable through the duct (with my help) . . .

Playing the devil's advocate -- Why would they want to provide a new length of (metallic) cable when is it perfectly serviceable and carrying two active services? (POTS and ADSL2)

The old, old phone cable that they replaced a few years ago goes from my Garage/Flat to my Workshop at the top of my garden  :blush:

I have a vague memory of you mentioning that, a while ago.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 12:37:31 AM »

>> I was going to suggest that they use the old Phone cable to pull the fibre and new phone cable through the duct (with my help)

As b*cat implied. They rod and rope to pull the fibre through.   It may even already be done.

I wouldn't know that my property had been done if it was for my Blink system alerting me that someone was on my drive at 7am wearing a hi-vis jacket.   Most people wouldn't have a clue.   
In this area, they rod and roped all the houses even before the computer said yes.

Good luck and hopefully it all goes smoothly for you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »

Thirteen days to go . . .  :o
   :thumbs:

Playing the devil's advocate -- Why would they want to provide a new length of (metallic) cable when is it perfectly serviceable and carrying two active services? (POTS and ADSL2)
  :)

I have a vague memory of you mentioning that, a while ago.  ;)
  Yes the cable I put in was a 4 core 2x2 twisted pair industrial cable but it's ok for POTS but no good for Ethernet/internet.
>> I was going to suggest that they use the old Phone cable to pull the fibre and new phone cable through the duct (with my help)

As b*cat implied. They rod and rope to pull the fibre through.   It may even already be done.
When I built this house as I said in the past that I installed the BT Ducts I was given by BT in my service trench, the House end comes in under the floor into a wide floor duct then to my equipment cupboard.
So it will not be roped. it needs about 70M'ish of rope.

Thanks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »

I wouldn't know that my property had been done if it was for my Blink system alerting me that someone was on my drive at 7am wearing a hi-vis jacket.   Most people wouldn't have a clue.   
In this area, they rod and roped all the houses even before the computer said yes.

Hi Kitz - FI - that is in the surveyors remit, to rope all customers 'lead in ducts' where possible (obviously blockages, no duct in place etc, affects this), whilst test rod and roping the ducts and chambers in footpaths and carriageways of the PON in scope.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 10:34:38 PM »

The Computer Now Says You Have GEA-FTTP  :thumbs: :yay: :dance:

I did a 'Ookla' Speedtest to  TN servers (using Ethernet).

Ping = 6ms

Download = 102.39 Mbps

Upload = 20.81Mbps

Ping to the BBC.co.uk = 9.5ms

____________________________________________________________________________________
The Job was booked for 1pm to 6pm.

Guy came very early 10am and he finished by 12.30pm (Noon) . (With My help)  :-\

It was contractors M J Quinn.  >:D  :(

(they a well known for giving up on a job and leaving to someone else.)

I did swear to my self when I his van came into view.  :-\

I looked down the long drive and he was reversing up it, no contact at all, no text, or phone call to say he was about to arrive  :no:, he asked if I was expecting him, and then he said I can not do the job because your trees are in the way !, I asked him what he was talking about, I said it's a UG feed not OH !, have you not read the attached notes.

He did not believe me until he looked at the end of the duct in the Enclosed porch. :o

So he started reluctantly.

He was trying to get his flexible draw rods through the duct, In which I knew was Not blocked, he could get it about 40M but his draw rods were to flexible, he then had a halfheartedly attempted to push it the other way but soon gave up,  >:D  .
He was about to give up and leave,  >:D

>>>>>>He was not going to leave until I had the FTTP installed  ;D

So I told him to use our BT land line to pull a raw rope in to the duct and pull it back with the BT cable & fibre attached.
Good Idea he said, I ask how long he had been doing this job, 8years he said when he came from Kenya and he went to collage and then this job . :o

With my unofficial help pulling the fibre through our long duct we got the BT land line and Fibre into the house end with me feeding it into the UG chamber in the Lane, In which he could Not be bothered to put the safety fence around , It was just left open  :o.

I think we pulled in about 80M of Fibre.

It's a good job I know what needs to be done and help him because he was ready to go, that's why he was early as he refused a job around the corner because of trees in the way, I had only just taken the porch floor up to get to the end of the BT duct I installed 30 years ago when I built this house when he came.

The Quinn guy had to talk to BT OpenReach because he had a flashing PON light, he had only fitted a Nokia ONT instead of a Hauawei ONT,  :-\  but BT OR chap had to re-configure things, then we got the Solid PON light.

When he plugged the Fibre into the CBT and once he made off the ONT end and plugged it in,  I said I thought you were supposed to clean them first before assembly. he just made some excuse.  :no:

To be continued .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:41:37 PM by tickmike »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 11:18:20 PM »

Wow, that's bad.  Makes you wonder if anyone else got anything done by him, did he just reject every other job and call it a day?  Does nobody look at his work logs and say "hang on, this is an unusually high number of refused jobs"?

I'd be sending a copy of your post to Openreach personally, they need to know if their network is being poorly installed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »

Yes I have been thinking of sending the details to My contact in BT Openreach High level command and Also My CEO contact at Trunk Networks (who have been excellent :)  ).

He needs retraining.  :(

Because he had no internal CSP box's he fitted an External one some 150mm x 150mm x 40mm.
so it's not the neat install I was expecting.

He only looked at the attached job notes (in which I sent to the CP eg it was UG feed, the approx length of ducting, BBU reqd, Internal install only etc. )  when I challenged him.

So not only did he fitted the wrong ONT and CSP he had nothing else for the job.  :-\

He had No Respect for Covid Rules / Common sense, I ask him to wear a mask, he did but I had to keep telling him to put it on again and again.  >:D
I had a High grade one on all the time .
He lives in an city which has high levels of covid.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:08:43 PM by tickmike »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »

This is appalling especially not respecting your request to wear a mask. My wife would not allow anyone to enter our property to do work unless they wore a mask at all times. I know it is not a legal requirement any more but this guy needs to get the sack for such behavior let alone the mess up on the install.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »

Both me and my mum are at risk, but her especially.  This really makes me nervous as I don't think were going to be out of the woods by the time I can get FTTP, if its later this year.  I just hope our local installer is better than this.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2