Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Openreach report translate pls  (Read 2975 times)

SE

• Reg Member
Openreach report translate pls
« on: July 07, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »

Hi
So what is a split leg and anyone know what this means
Also my us line attenuation was 28 now its 32 before lift and shift
My max attainable was 56 climing, now its 46 is that a dlm reset ?

"More time required: Run out of time on this job. n Details of work remaining Lift and shift after llums case cease has provided good port and speeds leaving at 80/20. Fast test.

----------------------n#Work done#

The line is proven and tagged to the PCP. nLine
The following have been confirmed as working OK:PCP / SCP terminations

----------------------nNotes from engineer:nLift and shift port change carried out after llums cease confirmed. Broadband speeds are now as predicted leaving ports at 80/20. Fast test is seeing split leg with router in sync at 37/6. I have run out of time for this task to find where split leg on d side from pcp28 is."

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach report translate pls
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:24:54 AM »

@SE  I believe a split leg is where at some point the pair from the cabinet is wrongly connected and is no longer a twisted pair. It is going down two wires but in different pairs so really bad for VDSL. Also not easy to find as there may be quite a lot of joints along the line and each one has to be checked. That's why the engineer ran out of time. At least the cabinet port looks OK now and the fault is known. Just need OR to fix it. :)

Not sure why your attenuation has changed but the split leg is the critical problem.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:10:44 AM »

Basics:
New line up to your local street cabinet shows 80/20 sync.
Engineer ran out of time to find the split issue on the distribution side between the street cabinet and your premises.
Lines are provided with two legs, and one of them is split.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »

Like Real Ale Madrid says, your service is not being supplied over a twisted pair of wires, it is using one wire in each of two different pairs.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 11:38:30 AM »

It's absolutely shocking that OpenReach seem to think 80/20 at the cabinet is a working port.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »

Stupid question but if the pair is split, how does the data get back to the cabinet, isn't it going to the wrong port

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »

The other port was 72 out so I was told, but my max attainable was 56-62, on the new one its 46
and the line att as gone up

The speed is a little faster but not as fast as before OR visited the first time and after a new router

They did say at first a bridge tap was there, now they say its a DLM falt  :-\ caused it to say that

They also said they found a split pair and fixed it on the last visit

My house serves the copper to the rest and a youtuber gets 48+ and he's at lines end, I'm arms length away and still get 34

Would a line move fix this
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:36:33 PM by SE »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »

Stupid question but if the pair is split, how does the data get back to the cabinet, isn't it going to the wrong port

It isn't a single pair between the home and the cabinet. There are dozens of joints.

At the cabinet port it's a twisted pair.
At 1 of the joints along the way instead of the OP's twisted pair being joined to another twisted pair, it is split between 2 different twisted pairs, using 1 leg of each pair.
Further up the chain these 2 legs are joined back to a twisted pair again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:23:24 PM »

A circuit doesn't know if the 2 wires that it is using belong to one pair or 2 discrete legs of 2 pairs. Whilst a port should be wired to a pair of wires, it is feasible that 2 ports are wired leg and leg to 2 different pairs. The split pair isn't necessarily all the way from the cab to the NTE, it could just be in one length of cable.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:27:39 PM »

Anyone know if a port move would force a line profile, DLM, brass reset and remove banding

It isn't a single pair between the home and the cabinet. There are dozens of joints.

At the cabinet port it's a twisted pair.
At 1 of the joints along the way instead of the OP's twisted pair being joined to another twisted pair, it is split between 2 different twisted pairs, using 1 leg of each pair.
Further up the chain these 2 legs are joined back to a twisted pair again.

:o and its under ground too, so I guess manholes

j0hn the isp site seems to be using the speed on the cab port as my speed...
Current Line Speed (Download): 72Mbps, and I guess if this ports good it will update to 80
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:46:10 PM by SE »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 12:44:48 PM »

Anyone know if a port move would force a line profile, DLM, brass reset and remove banding

Is that not what the lift and shift was that was mentioned in the fault report, a lift and shift to a new port, or was this only cabinet side?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »

It's absolutely shocking that OpenReach seem to think 80/20 at the cabinet is a working port.

I can imagine no sync is classed as a nonworking port, but this would suggest they only look for layer 2 connectivity.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »

Is that not what the lift and shift was that was mentioned in the fault report, a lift and shift to a new port, or was this only cabinet side?

It was cab, they didn't say anything about the exchange and I didn't even think about the other end  :blush:
The first guy said moving to a llu would fix the speed but the next one said that's ADSL not fttc

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 06:36:30 PM »

I can imagine no sync is classed as a nonworking port, but this would suggest they only look for layer 2 connectivity.

The engineers hand-held testers (HHT) are set to connect to a working 'PPP session' .... proving the full connection ... not just the synch speed of 80/20 coming out of the DSLAM. We have 28,000 engineers (at the last count, I think ??), one man's terminology will differ to another's, it was basically saying though that the lift & shift went through and the correct speeds of 80/20 were obtained at the Cabinet.

A new port will only be given out if a decent 'Max attainable rate' is recorded against the HHT, when liaising on the phone with the FTTC helpdesk, they don't just look at the current connection speed.

The last test the engineer has to do is a 'Fast Test 2' test and if this doesn't come back with a LTOK (Line Tests OK) and handshake details with the EU's router, then the engineer will have to retain the task overnight and re-visit .... unless of course he's on A/L, sick, was working on a different patch etc.

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 10:06:36 PM »

Well the new card has a 32 vs old 28 attenuation up
Is is it better to have lower attenuation with lower max attainable, or higer attenuation with maybe higher max attainable

After this visit, a engineer was in the poll wall box but not for us but next door, their internet is cutting out and he could only find one wire, not a pair, so he called the high level engineer to help

He came to us saying hes comming to look at whats going on with this all
Hes moving up from the cab to our box outside

Its all underground and the guy said even the poll wall box is old and has had many reports asking for a new one for years

Took four for a cover that didnt blow off

So thers about four houses afected with the one furthest away getting about 50

Tbh i dont think anything wlll help and it may be the isp

Sync drops to just over what the speed is if it was a speed cap, is that right?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything