Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Asus DSL-AC68U Problems  (Read 1695 times)

MP99

• Just arrived
Asus DSL-AC68U Problems
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:43:54 PM »

[Moderator note: This topic has been split off from Kitz's review of the device.]

Hi all.

Hoping this is the right thread...

I am trying out a DSL-AC68U in place of BT home hub 6 / smart hub 1 on BT Internet VDSL2 connection.

With the hub I had down sync rate of approx 60mbps, and consistent speed tests around 52mbps:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1624976134128012755

With the Asus, my speed tests are 46mbps, but slightly faster uploads:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1625420306689075055

If I'm reading correctly, the Asus appears to be syncing at 72mbps, but my speed test is more in line with the "data rate" (see attachment for full screenshot):
Data Rate   52567 kbps   19272 kbps
Max Rate   72112 kbps   19273 kbps

Am I reading that correctly - is the max rate (or the data rate) actually my sync speed? If not, where can I find it in the router's status pages?

If that is my sync speed - any idea why my speed tests are so much lower?

An engineer rewired when I upgraded to VDSL - it's labelled as Master Socket 5C. I have run the checker at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL - see highlights.

Featured ProductsDown highDown lowUp highUp lowHandback threshold
VDSL Range A (Clean)73.754201447
VDSL Range B (Impacted)71.448.32012.338.4

Observed SpeedsVDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed52.56
Max Observed Upstream Speed19.27
Observed Date2021-07-04

Premise EnvironmentStatus
Bridge TapN
VRIN
NTE Face PlateN
Last Test Date22-06-2021

Thanks for any help / insight you may be able to offer.

cheers, Martin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:02:08 PM by burakkucat »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: Asus DSL-AC68U Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 03:14:07 PM »

The Asus DSL-AC68U has a very poor modem chip inside it, that's one reason for the speed being so poor, it also doesn't play well with the Openreach DLM system so you may find your speed dropping further. There are reports that this modem/router should never have been allowed to be used on UK lines as it has not passed approval and doesn't meet the requirements for G.INP ( or retransmission which is a noise reduction system that can improve sync speeds)

To sum up, you would be better off using the BT HH6  :)

Just to clarify the data rates that the Asus shows are the sync rates as confirmed by the observed speeds in the BT test.
The Max Rates are theoretical figures calculated by the modem which are often incorrectly inflated to unachievable levels.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 03:23:36 PM »

Data rate is the sync rate. Well below the BT Hub.
The chipset inside the Asus is useless.

The max data rate is a theoretical figure that is usually inaccurate (too high) when Interleaving is enabled.

Your DSL-AC68U is the 1st I've seen in a long time to have G.INP enabled.
The Asus was put on a G.INP blacklist because it misbehaved but it looks like those issues may have been resolved.

Even with G.INP and a 3dB target the sync is considerably below the BT Hub 6, which isn't that great either.

If you are within any return period for the device I strongly recommend returning it.

I use an RT-AC68U, an almost identical router. So I have nothing against Asus devices.
It's just the Mediatek DSL chipset inside the Asus DSL models is a waste of sand.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:27:02 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »

Thanks both - that's very helpful.

Do you know how to disabled interleaving - is that the bitswap setting?

BTW, what would be the benefit of diabling interleaving - ISTR it has something to do with ping times and latency?

Also, is there a way for me to check for any CRC errors?

I quite like Asus' mobile app for monitoring the router, but I'll switch back if the HH is better.

Thanks, Martin

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »

Even with G.INP and a 3dB target the sync is considerably below the BT Hub 6, which isn't that great either.

What do you base that on - the attenuation?

cheers, Martin

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »

I quite like Asus' mobile app for monitoring the router, but I'll switch back if the HH is better.
I'm afraid you'll have anything but troubles with that Asus device, do yourself a favour and return that unit.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:20:51 PM by hushcoden »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »

[Moderator note: This topic has been split off from Kitz's review of the device.]

Hi all.

Hoping this is the right thread...

I am trying out a DSL-AC68U in place of BT home hub 6 / smart hub 1 on BT Internet VDSL2 connection.

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I have split these posts off from the original device review and given them an appropriate subject heading.

I, too, will recommend that you return the device for a refund . . . if possible.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »

I'm afraid this is an old device that I pulled out of the cupboard to give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice.

cheers, Martin

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 06:45:58 PM »

What do you base that on - the attenuation?

That's based on what you said. The Home Hub synced higher.

The Asus has a 3dB SNRM and G.INP is active. That's as good as the line will go and the optimum DLM profile.

You can't disable Interleaving, it's handled automatically by the DLM (Dynamic Line Management system).

The line isn't actually interleaved anyway. The Asus reports any Interleaving value above 1 as "Interleaving".
The line has an Interleaving value of just 4, which is consistent with G.INP (aka retransmission).
If the line was actually interleaved the Interleaving depth would be 1500+.

Also, is there a way for me to check for any CRC errors?

CRC's are reported at the bottom of the DSL Statistics page, although I've no idea how accurate that figure is.
It used to be incorrect but they may have fixed that.

In order to view any more detailed statistics (like ES, which are much more important than CRC) you have to Telnet/SSH in to the Asus and run a series of commands.

If you had a bridge modem lying around the Asus makes an excellent router. It can basically be turned in to an Asus RT-AC68U.
That would allow the Asus to handle the authentication, wireless, routing, allowing you to continue to use the Asus app, but without the (imo) disastrous modem being used.

Some users on shorter lines like yours actually like the DSL-AC68U. It's on medium to long lines where it performs worst.

If you do choose to continue to use the Asus please ensure UPBO is always enabled.
It is the only modem I have ever come across that allows UPBO to be disabled and doing so can seriously impact the upstream speed of other users on your cabinet.

It's quite shocking that option even exists and even more shocking that it has persisted across dozens of firmwares for over half a decade.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:53:20 PM by j0hn »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 11:55:07 PM »

It's quite shocking that option even exists and even more shocking that it has persisted across dozens of firmwares for over half a decade.

I dunno, its rather like the "Ignore regulatory requirements" options that WiFi often has for forcing 40Mhz on the 2.4Ghz band, only a whole lot worse.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I have split these posts off from the original device review and given them an appropriate subject heading.

Thanks!

cheers, Martin

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »

That's based on what you said. The Home Hub synced higher.

Understood. I'd thought your comment "the BT Hub 6, which isn't that great either" meant that the BT hub could be expected to connect at faster than 60mbps.

In order to view any more detailed statistics (like ES, which are much more important than CRC) you have to Telnet/SSH in to the Asus and run a series of commands.

I can feel myself going down a rabbit hole that ends with me running RouterStats again (like I used to with Billion 7800 on ADSL, before the days when DLM managed the margins).  :)

If you had a bridge modem lying around the Asus makes an excellent router. It can basically be turned in to an Asus RT-AC68U.
That would allow the Asus to handle the authentication, wireless, routing, allowing you to continue to use the Asus app, but without the (imo) disastrous modem being used.

Tempting. Any recommendations for a good modem?

Would there be any point getting something that can also do g.fast for future proofing? If it matters, I believe I'm on an aluminium line.

If you do choose to continue to use the Asus please ensure UPBO is always enabled.
It is the only modem I have ever come across that allows UPBO to be disabled and doing so can seriously impact the upstream speed of other users on your cabinet.

Noted, and will do!

cheers, Martin

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 06:40:48 PM »

Would there be any point getting something that can also do g.fast for future proofing? If it matters, I believe I'm on an aluminium line.

Only if your area already has G.Fast available.

If it hasn't been rolled out to your cabinet already then it's highly unlikely it will ever be.
The G.Fast rollout is effectively over with no new areas announced since 2018 and no new pods installed (that I'm aware of) since late 2019
FTTP is very much the priority now.

MP99

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »

<sigh> OK. I believe my area is due to get FTTP sometime in the next five years.

BTW, one thing I am particularly noticing with the Asus router is that web pages load noticeably faster than with BT's hub. Same wired infrastucture via switch on my desk to the router.

cheers, Martin

anything